Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst Franchise?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

Because they make loads of money, why else! They're good campy fun with a few friends and a few beers though, they're so ridiculously bad they're somehow....good.

Worst franchise - I would say at this point has to be Transformers maybe, considering it's still active.

Fast and Furious is a pretty good franchise. The first few movies are genuinely very car centrist (and I'm not a fan), but the last few movies have more in common with James Bond and Mission Impossible than the original movie.

Fast and Furious is a good franchise I think too. It managed to reinvent itself and the sequels get better and better which is a good thing. I agree: Transformers is awful as are the Karate Kid and most Police Academy sequels. Too much of the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,951 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Police academy 1 was OK , karate kid 1 was OK so in my opinion they don't count , fast and furious was just trash .

Except some of the later Fast and Furious films are great action films. 5 in particular is one of the best action films of the last 10 years

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

All the Spider-Man films since Tobey Maguire onwards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

I'm going to be prescient and say the Avatar franchise will be sh*t. Maybe veganism will be the next message they push?
    James Bond has gone crap.
    Terminator has gone crap.
    Alien franchise has equal no. of good and bad films, with AvP films taken into account.
    Iron man was good but all since have been crap.

I have avoided most other franchises, so can't honestly say if they've improved or deteriorated.

I fcuking hated Harry Potter (but had to go). With regards the current crop of DC superhero franchises, i was never interested and see them as being designed primarily to appeal to demographics, rather than an idea for a good story to be told.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

The Star Wars Prequels

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Ernest...

Ernest Saves Christmas
    Ernest Goes to School
    Ernest in the Army
    Ernest goes to Jail
    Slamdunk Ernest
    Ernest goes to Africa
    Ernest Rides Again
    Ernest Scared Stupid

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Bacchus wrote: »
    Ernest...

Ernest Saves Christmas
    Ernest Goes to School
    Ernest in the Army
    Ernest goes to Jail
    Slamdunk Ernest
    Ernest goes to Africa
    Ernest Rides Again
    Ernest Scared Stupid

Well, I for one, am thankful you recognise Ernest Goes Camping for the classic it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

razorblunt wrote: »
    Well, I for one, am thankful you recognise Ernest Goes Camping for the classic it is.

Every bad franchise has at least one classic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 375 ✭✭Tylerdurex

Taken!! Good Lord the first was bad enough but what was Liam Neeson thinking?! I'm still chuckling when thinking about Taken II:)

The first Taken was good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,812 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Karate Kid, Transformers and Police Academy are three obvious ones that come to mind. Another less wellknown one is Braddock. The sequels in each of these are among the poorest films ever made.

The police Academy films are fun films if you want to just relax and watch something funny.
    titan18 wrote: »
    Except some of the later Fast and Furious films are great action films. 5 in particular is one of the best action films of the last 10 years

And 6 is excellent too.
    dudara wrote: »
    All the Spider-Man films since Tobey Maguire onwards

For me I don,t like any of the Spider-man films after him
    Tylerdurex wrote: »
    The first Taken was good

I think Taken 1 and 2 are good 3 was not great do. Hope they leave it at that.

For me The Hunger Games has to be the worst.

Twilight as well is just terrible.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

All the Bourne's

Its like watching the same movie on repeat - awful stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

There's no way to do this truly objectively, but imdb ratings aren't a bad start.

Police Academy (7 movies): 6.7, 5.7, 5.2, 4.8, 4.4, 4.2, 3.3.
    Pirates of the Caribbean (5 movies): 8, 7.3, 7.1, 6.6, 6.7.
    Transformers (5 movies, ignoring 80s movie): 7.1, 6, 6.3, 5.7, 5.2
    Karate Kid (5 movies, including remake): 7.2, 5.9, 5.0, 4.3, 6.2

Fast & Furious (8 movies, ignoring just a few!): 6.7, 5.9, 6.0, 6.6, 7.3, 7.1, 7.2, 6.8 (remarkably consistent, really)

Hard to argue against Police Academy, I think. Oh, and there's rumour of a remake. Someone hasn't accepted that the horse's corpse has been flogged to the bone and sold for dog food.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,991 ✭✭✭conorhal

The Hellraiser flicks, another franchise that has seen movies (including the upcoming one) made just to hold on to the rights. To really jump the shark you need to go into space (Bloodline) and then do something related to an online or reality TV gimmick, or both (Hellworld). There's a great series to be made from a rich mythos but damn has the corpse of this franchise been well and truly fecked. Not least of all by Clive Barker BTW who churned out a sequel novel that tries to start a 'clive-verse'. Well that was as bad as any of the direct to DVD movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

I'm going to be prescient and say the Avatar franchise will be sh*t. Maybe veganism will be the next message they push?
    James Bond has gone crap.
    Terminator has gone crap.
    Alien franchise has equal no. of good and bad films, with AvP films taken into account.
    Iron man was good but all since have been crap.

I have avoided most other franchises, so can't honestly say if they've improved or deteriorated.

I fcuking hated Harry Potter (but had to go). With regards the current crop of DC superhero franchises, i was never interested and see them as being designed primarily to appeal to demographics, rather than an idea for a good story to be told.

Do you enjoy any films?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Karate Kid, Transformers and Police Academy are three obvious ones that come to mind. Another less wellknown one is Braddock. The sequels in each of these are among the poorest films ever made.

I was about to mention the Police Academy films. My brother insisted on renting out every single fecking one of them when we first got a VCR (apart from Mission To Moscow which hadn't yet come out) they just got progressively worse and worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

The Hangover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Turtyturd wrote: »
    The Hangover.

Second one was pretty OK, more of the same basically, but the third one was just awful - "We know it's a comedy franchise but let's keep the title, ditch the laughs and make a half baked attempt at something completely different".

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭ClashCityRocker

Taken!! Good Lord the first was bad enough but what was Liam Neeson thinking?! I'm still chuckling when thinking about Taken II:)

He was thinking $$$ i assume

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

All of the ones featuring people in lycra who have superpowers.

• Advertisement

darkdubh wrote: »
    I was about to mention the Police Academy films. My brother insisted on renting out every single fecking one of them when we first got a VCR (apart from Mission To Moscow which hadn't yet come out) they just got progressively worse and worse.

The first one is ok but the sequels indeed get worse and worse and are basically the same thing over and over. The Moscow one is ok-ish mainly due to the different setting which made it somewhat different.

Another franchise I do not regard highly is Delta Force. There are at least 2 of these and most likely more. Them and Braddock: Missing in Action are your poor man's Rambo type of film filled with a very biased message. Are there any such thing as good Chuck Norris films though?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Why do you think I took you to see all those "Police Academy" movies, FOR FUN?

I DIDN'T HEAR ANYONE LAUGHING, DID YOU?

except at that guy who made sound effects.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

The Chronicles of Narnia flopped.

There's about seven books to work with. They stopped after two. Potential goldmine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    The Chronicles of Narnia flopped.

There's about seven books to work with. They stopped after two. Potential goldmine

Did it? :confused:

They made 3 movies - total budget $560m, box office take $1.6b.

They're making a fourth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Mission impossible films.

First one very enjoyable, but the rest are just meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,430 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Mission impossible films.

First one very enjoyable, but the rest are just meh.

2nd one was garbage but MI:3 is one of my favourite action movies. Philip Seymour Hoffman was superb as the bad guy.

The rest of them do kinda blur into each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

I think the Top Three have already been mentioned.
    Fast & Furious, Twilight, Transformers

The sequels produced are a stain on film record.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

JoeA3 wrote: »
    2nd one was garbage

With the motorbike fight. :rolleyes: Between that and the scientology rubbish I can't see myself ever paying to see him in a movie again. It's too hard to engage the suspension of disbelief.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Id actually like to include Resident Evil and Jaws sequels on the list.

Advertisement