Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old films.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    Starting with The Apartment
    Also L'Avventura, watched it last night and it really is like no film made before it.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭thefasteriwalk

Grayson wrote: »
    That's a fantastic film.

For the week that's in it, here's Lauren Bacall telling Bogart to whistle.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MheNUWyROv8

This was when they were falling in love. I think you can see it in the way he acted.

Apparently he said just after they met "That dame sure has cojones" :)

Ah yes! I enjoy all the films they're in together. I love almost every film starring Bogie, though. I'm inspired - I've decided I'm going to spend my day/evening curled up watching some classics :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

e_e wrote: »
    Also L'Avventura, watched it last night and it really is like no film made before it.

Just watched the Trailer, I will have to get to see that. The priest in Cinema Paradiso would be ringing the bell like the clappers:D

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭thefasteriwalk

El Guapo! wrote: »
    On the Waterfront, starring Marlon Brando.

We had to watch it in school for the leaving cert but it's remained one of my favourite films of all time. Brilliant performance from Brando.

Nothing is sexier than a young Marlon Brando. I love him in A Streetcar Named Desire too. Steelllllllllla!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

They sure don't make them like they use to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭takamichinoku

Looks like someone uploaded this to YouTube!:D

Absolutely fantastic documentary series about the silent era in the US. Managed to get a lot of interviews with people who were around at the time, has tons of great footage is extremely well put together and is NARRATED BY JAMES MASON!!!

Bit slow for the first few episodes but the whole thing's a peach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭LizzieJones

e_e wrote: »
    For sheer innovation though you can't beat the 1960s for film.

The 50s weren't bad either ...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 430 ✭✭scream

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Barberella

And by a happy coincidence, it happens to be on Sky ScFi/Horror tonight at 11.25pm.

The 50s weren't bad either ...
    Tonnes of great films for sure, but with the 60s there was a real sea change in how films were starting to be made. Stuff like Persona, Red Desert, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Play Time, 8½ and Last Year at Marienbad all worked like nothing that has been made before or since. It's as if a load of great directors just thought "Things sort of reached a peak in the 50s, so let's throw out the rule book for how we make movies." :)

Martin Scorsese talks about it here:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

One the best films ive ever watched and i love the trailer also. Not that old in fairness. 100% on rottentomatoes all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Fr D Maugire

Some of my favourites already listed but a few more

Bad Day at Blackrock-nothing to do with D4 but a Spencer Tracy Classic.
    Battleground-fantastic 40s war movie about regular soldiers during the Battle of the Bulge.
    The day the earth stood still(original of course)- great 50s sci-fi.

Quite a few of the Ealing Comedies, Kind Hearts & Coronets picking one

The original 'The Ladykillers' starring Alastair Sims, very funny old Ealing comedy with sparklingly witting dialogue.

The original 'Flight of The Phoenix' starring James Stewart. You can feel the desert heat.

White Heat, starring James Cagney - brilliant old gangster stuff with obligatory crazy steering in a car while on a straight road and dialogue delivered like a machine gun.

Rosemary's Baby starring Mia Farrow, one of the few genuinely creepy old horrors.

Hold The Front Page, starring Walther Matthau and Jack Lemmon, comedy generously laced with pathos. Brilliant.

To Have and Have Not, the late Lauren Bacall and Humphrey Bogart being gravelly and laconic in equal measure.

I love old movies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

++1 for The Ladykillers

Nosferatu , the remake is good too

The Day the Earth Stood Still.

King Kong ,

Duck Soup

Rashomon

The Seventh Seal

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs

Young Frankenstein - not an old film, but if you've ever watched the original Frankenstein or Bride of Frankenstein it's a must see.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Three Humphrey Bogart films to watch, High Sierra, The Maltese Falcon and The Treasure Of Sierra Madre.

There's a reason why the American Film Institute ranked him as the greatest actor of all time in 1999. The guy was a 'man's man' and belonged to the studio house culture that's now lost in Hollywood.

A time where there was no CGI or special effects, a good plot and acting led the way, they told a story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

A few of my favs ;)

Great story, great acting, humour, action, tension ...

Ingrid Bergman just stunning and Bogie of course.

We used to use this as a management training film. Used to be great to be paid to ...

John Mills, Sylvia Simms - not the best scene from the film but always makes me fancy a ... cuppa tae:)

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭marozz

Many of the films already mentioned are great. Some of my favourite films are :

Rope
    The Man with the Golden Arm
    Point Blank
    The Sting

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

Dog Day Afternoon

It is on TV tonight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

Cat On A Hot Tin Roof
    Whatever Happened To Baby Jane? (My avatar is a still from a Simpsons spoof of same).

• Advertisement

gladrags wrote: »
    Dog Day Afternoon

It is on TV tonight
    "ATTICA! ATTICA!"

Such a great Pacino role, think I like it even more than The Godfather.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,151 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Harold and Maude.

Saw Metropolis recently in the NCH with a live soundtrack - amazing experience and pretty good special effects in most of it, considering it's so old.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

The French Connection

the Conversation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Yojimbo
    A Fistful of Dollars

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭takamichinoku

Here's one that seems a bit surprisingly underappreciated considering the names involved

John Huston's Fat City
    Film from the 1970s about two boxers starring Stacy Keach and a young Jeff Bridges, some exceptional cinematography work by Conrad L Hall (American Beauty, Butch Cassidy ...the dude rules!) and fits right at home with the whole early 70s US film scene, despite being directed by a (very very very skilled and talented) guy nearing his 70s. Really surprised me just how good it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

The General (1926) is a brilliant film

Arsenic & Old Lace (1944) is piss yourself funny

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

The Green Man and Hell Drivers are two that come to mind.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

The taking of Pelham 123 is on but unfortunitly its the remake, its just pointless as the original was a great film.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 305 ✭✭Jimminy Mc Fukhead

Magaggie wrote: »
    Whatever Happened To Baby Jane?

Features the greatest plot twist of all time.

• Advertisement

Clint Eastwoods 'Play Misty for Me'.

Waay better than Fatal Attraction, which covered the same territory.

Advertisement