Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Series 5, Episode 3 - "Victory of the Daleks"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭iUseVi

I think the cracks turning up everywhere is delibrate.

I think it's following the Doctor, or more specifically the Tardis.

Just a theory.

Or maybe its following Amy Pond? Oohhh. Stealing her memory and stuff.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Ok...

I said before there's an air of competency about this series and this episode really showed that.

It was the worst episode so far but also still eminently watchable. There was alot I liked (war dalek, spacefires, fx were pretty strong) buut stuff I didn't too. Alot was taken "on faith" in this episode- for example I think we were supposed to immediately make the leap between the delibrate mentioning of a positronic brain and the dalek/data dude being able to stop the bomb by making new neural connections or some such and overwriting the explodey program. Still bull**** but again, standard sf bull. Or maybe I am giving Gatiss too much credit seeing as I was just doing some AI stuff :D

I'm actually ok with the new daleks. not in love with them, just... ok. I think at some point the old designs which were damn good were going to have to go.

I wonder did this happen at some point though:

Mark Gatiss is sitting down to start writing an episode of Dr Who. SM has just told him he's getting the Dalek episode. Knowing it's his chance to shine in front of his new boss, he's got to think of something new... clever....

Just then his wife asks if he'd like a cup of tea.

Tea
    Dalek

Dalek tea!!!

iUseVi wrote: »
    Or maybe its following Amy Pond? Oohhh. Stealing her memory and stuff.

That'd make sense, we don't know why the first crack showed up, could be something to do with Amy herself.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,143 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I think the cracks turning up everywhere is delibrate.

I think it's following the Doctor, or more specifically the Tardis.

Just a theory.

The more I think about it, the more I suspect that the little moment at the end of Ep 1 could be the reason: that bit where it looked like the Doctor did in fact return to child-Amy (though it was edited to seem like a dream), and caused a big time paradox of some kind. The crack-in-time is some kind of consequence, following the TARDIS everywhere? I have a feeling it won't be that long until we see the results - I can't see 11 episodes of "ooh, look there it is!"

pixelburp wrote: »
    The more I think about it, the more I suspect that the little moment at the end of Ep 1 could be the reason: that bit where it looked like the Doctor did in fact return to child-Amy (though it was edited to seem like a dream), and caused a big time paradox of some kind. The crack-in-time is some kind of consequence, following the TARDIS everywhere? I have a feeling it won't be that long until we see the results - I can't see 11 episodes of "ooh, look there it is!"

That both makes alot of sense and would be nice and clever. I hope we're not disappointed by the truth :D

• Advertisement

"Dear BBC, please let pixelburp write some Doctor Who episodes, yours sincerly, a viewer."

• Registered Users Posts: 33,446 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Another mention again of the Doctor not landing in the right time. Episode 1 he told Amelia he'd be back in 5 minutes, but was actually 12 years. Then he popped off for a spin in his new Tardis and was 2 years away. Now Churchill called him and he arrived a month after he should have. Another link to the cracks? Could also explain the shot where it looks like he appeared to Amelia again at the end of Episode 1, maybe something we'll see in a future episode where he doesn't mean to go back that far?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Just watched it and was totally underwhelmed by it.

I really do try to like Dr Who but for some reason it doesn't let me.

Here's what I didn't like about this episode.

1) Portrayal of Churchilll as a caring & street cool cuddly person was over the top.

2) Daleks back from the brink.....yet again, either kill them off or have them as a proper thriving difficult to kill enemy who are not on the brink

3) Daleks have amazing technology and intelligence and they are confused by a biscuit...please.

4) Why do bombs in these type of shows have a build up/countdown process.....thus giving the hero time....can the daleks not just push the button and the bomb goes off instantly....sure the IRA mastered that years ago!

5) How the bomb was diffused by love or something, already commented on by other posts here.

6) The British Jingoism: Granted it's a BBC show but do they have to put Union Jacks in all the time.....I mean the raising of the flag to copy the famous raising of flag at Iwo Jima was just cheesy.

7) Planes were adapted and pilots had mastered spaceflight in Spitfires
    within the space of 10 minutes...totally ridiculous.

8) How were they able to see on a screen what the Doctor was doing on the Dalek ship...where did the camera come from.

9) Matt Smith is fine, but to me he's just another version of David Tennant.

I do wish that the show was brilliant but it just doesn't do it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

Even if the cracks are following the Doctor or Amy around they could still be a bit more subtle. As Ixoy said, make them more difficult to see. Or at least don't zoom in on them and play dramatic music every time. The crack at the end of the first episode, that was a bit more subtle. If they must be in every episode at least do something that wont't make me want to scream at the tv. I want to be intrigued and surprised by this story at the end of the season, not wearied by constant crack appearances and just wishing it would end. Oh btw, I had a theory about Amy's memory loss not being related to the cracks in an earlier post, now that I'm not falling asleep at the keyboard and not hungover I've realised it clearly must be the cracks and doesn't fit with the angels. So yeah...ignore that theory.

As for the theory of the Doctor visiting younger Amy I like it, especially since she doesn't seem to have any recollection of that either. It probably was just a dream though. Otherwise the events twelve years later would probably be very different Then again, wibbly wobbly timey whimey, so who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

I'm also in the 'thought it would be better' camp. But it was very funny to see the Daleks channelling Mrs Doyle, "Would you care for some tea?", and I did laugh at the little Union flag on the Ironside. Didn't like Churchill, the whole professor saves the world via his emotions, or indeed the fact that they are making Amy too competent - she had the idea to use the prof to develop new weapons, and she got through to the prof. She's only 21 and used to work as a strippogram, yet she has all this insight. Either sloppy writing or a sign of something to come regarding her background.

BBC's marketeers must be salivating at this stage - a new sonic screwdriver and 5 new Daleks for kids to badger their parents into buying. They did look somewhat cheap - that could be looked upon as the reduced BBC budget, or efficiency in this new breed of Dalek requiring less materials.

The Doctor being late and the crack in time obviously form the arc - that Leadworth is an anagram of Dr Who Late seems appropriate now. Amy's lack of knowledge of the Daleks intrigued me but, just like in Lost, we didn't get an explanation as to why.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭Jessibelle

I was a bit 'meh' about the whole episode. I came away thinking the new daleks look cheap, (but maybe they're also feeling a recessionary pinch??), noticing for the first time sice the new series began, that Matt Smith has eyebrows, thinking the flag raising at the end similarity to the flag raising at Iwo Jima, was just a little too twee and then remembering that I really really don't like weeping angels. At all.
    If thats all it left me with, then again I say 'meh' :(

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Jessibelle wrote: »
    and then remembering that I really really don't like weeping angels.

:eek::eek::eek: You didn't like "Blink"?! Well then I don't like you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭Jessibelle

ixoy wrote: »
    :eek::eek::eek: You didn't like "Blink"?! Well then I don't like you :D

Didn't like, in that I spent the following week petrified of any local masonry/sculpture, (in a cool grown up 'yeah it doesn't scare me, but still I'm just going to maintain eye contact for a while' kind of way) and we had urban myths of the local statues of various saints etc jumping off churches and schools to eat people when I was in primary school, which really didn't help.....:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭Pittens

What's this about Amy not remembering the Doctor coming back when she was a child.

he didnt. That was the point. He was 12 years late.

Or did I miss something?

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭nucking futs

Pittens wrote: »
    What's this about Amy not remembering the Doctor coming back when she was a child.

he didnt. That was the point. He was 12 years late.

Or did I miss something?
    It's a theory based one one short clip, nothing else really :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭Ridley

I wonder did this happen at some point though:

Mark Gatiss is sitting down to start writing an episode of Dr Who. SM has just told him he's getting the Dalek episode. Knowing it's his chance to shine in front of his new boss, he's got to think of something new... clever....

Just then his wife asks if he'd like a cup of tea.

Tea
    Dalek

Dalek tea!!!

Not a chance.

Not his wife anyway...

I liked that bit from an episode that I was largely indifferent to, like Gatiss' other episodes. Which is slightly annoying because he's one of the League of Gentlemen so I keep wanting and expecting better.

Moffat's season seems to be doing a lot in hoping the viewer just accepts whatever's said and moves on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xETlYacSCHE

Still thought it was cracking episode and the series is still just finding it's feet so some faults are acceptable.

FORESHADOWING. ;)

murpho999 wrote: »
    2) Daleks back from the brink.....yet again, either kill them off or have them as a proper thriving difficult to kill enemy who are not on the brink

The episode was very much set up the latter I believe. There's the real reason
    Moffat's Daleks shot Davies'
    . And the title of the episode.

murpho999 wrote: »
    6) The British Jingoism: Granted it's a BBC show but do they have to put Union Jacks in all the time.....I mean the rasing of the flag to copy the famous rasing of flag at Iwo Jima was just cheesy.

Got any more examples? I don't see it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Personally I rather enjoyed this episode. I'd agree about the Union jacks and the method of bomb disposal (the Prof. seem too much like Robin Williams Bicentenial Man). However, Spitfires in space, crippling an alien spaceship - a Brit. version of ID4.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Liked it overall. A few dodgy scenes from Matt, it was obvious the punch was totally fake, hardly his fault though. Just a few scenes reminded me of his inexperience as an actor, but I do think he has the capability to improve.

Loved the about take on the Daleks, my 11 year old loved that. The cups of tea, "can I be of assistance", Matt eyeing the Dalek going down the corridor and the extermination of the old Daleks.

The ending seemed rushed, though the spitfires was cool and appeals to the British audience.

Agree with everybody on the "human" part, though it was acted beautifully. Too weak and obvious.

Churchill was meh after seeing the Brendan Gleeson version.

Overall, happy enough, want to see Amy get more of a role, which I'm sure will come.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,143 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

iUseVi wrote: »
    "Dear BBC, please let pixelburp write some Doctor Who episodes, yours sincerly, a viewer."
    I agree, my natural writing genius has been tethered for long enough! I propose for season 6 that we open with a 40 minute episode conisting of nothing but that bizarre "startled rabbit" impression Amy Pond does. It'll be edgy, left-of-field TV :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,320 ✭✭✭jasonb

I thought it was the weakest episode so far. It was very rushed, not great acting and some of the plot elements were cringe-worthy ( the human emotions disarming the bomb, 3 spitfires in space etc. ).

Clearly the only reason for the episode was to kick-start the Daleks so they can come back in a big way in some future episode, and to hit us over the head with another 'crack / Doctor is always late' clue.

I noticed the film references are still coming strong too. Apart from the obvious 'Independence Day' reference, did anyone get the 'Where Eagles Dare' reference? The radio operator using the lines 'Broadsword calling Danny Boy' is straight from that film.

This was the first episode to make me think I'm not going to enjoy the season. The next episodes ( bringing back the Weeping Angels and River Song ) will either change my mind or confirm for me that it's going downhill.

One other thing. Was there some reason why we got a glimpse into the life of the radio operator who lost her boyfriend / husband who was a pilot, or was if just a bad attempt at trying to show us the horror of war?

J.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

jasonb wrote: »
    This was the first episode to make me think I'm not going to enjoy the season. The next episodes ( bringing back the Weeping Angels and River Song ) will either change my mind or confirm for me that it's going downhill.

One other thing. Was there some reason why we got a glimpse into the life of the radio operator who lost her boyfriend / husband who was a pilot, or was if just a bad attempt at trying to show us the horror of war?

J.

Think it was an attempt to show Churchills comapssion. Didn't come of well and was too late in the episode.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Ridley wrote: »

The episode was very much set up the latter I believe. There's the real reason
    Moffat's Daleks shot Davies'
    . And the title of the episode.

with everyone forgetting the past, no mention of old companions etc, the reconstitution of the daleks etc, yeah, I'd agree moffat is effectively rewriting the whoniverse, which is not a bad thing imo.
    I agree, my natural writing genius has been tethered for long enough! I propose for season 6 that we open with a 40 minute episode conisting of nothing but that bizarre "startled rabbit" impression Amy Pond does. It'll be edgy, left-of-field TV :D

I realise I was the guy giving out about sexism in the fandom etc but being honest I could think of a worse 4 minutes :D

jasonb wrote: »

J.

I would say it might come up later.

Me want.

*drools*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

when i read this

http://www.private-eye.co.uk/sections.php?section_link=eye_tv&

last Friday I was deeply worried, esp about the line "Look out for some amazing found-at-the-back of the cupboard monster cameos towards the end of the season,” a show insider tells the Eye."

having seen it twice now, you have to be wondering if the reason behind new Tardis, new Sonic, new Daleks (wonder what will happen to
    the cybermen
    in ther seies finale) - is it an attempt to get rid of the RTD era at the same time as paying homage to the Peter Cushing Movies which both Moffat and Gatis love - or is it being led by BBC Worldwide. Anyhoo, my kids loved the new Daleks, so the New Dalek Masterplan is up and running.

For the sake of some sort of rationale, you could say that the Daleks we have seen since 2005 are "warrior" or army Dalek Containers, constructed for use in the Time War, and that therefore the new "pure" Dalek is a reversion to the older version in more ways than one.

Now, the thing I dont get is the reference to impure Daleks - it begs the question exactly what Daleks we are looking at. The last two times the Daleks were valquished by The Doctor they were "reconstituted" by the Emperor Dalek and Davros respectivly. So, did this Dalek ship survive the encouter with the 9th or 10th Doctor (actually 10.5 if you want to nit pick as he killed them, not 10). There is something in the back of my mind that the Emperor used human DNA on Satilite 5 to make his Dalek race? So that could be where these lads came from??

As for the rest of the story, the idea of Spitfires -v- Daleks is great on paper and should have lasted longer, and it was amazing how fast they were adopted to be able to fly in space, but sure is Doctor Who it has to be rediculous. The idea that turning into a human stops you being a bomb is silly - its like my telling my heart to stop beating because I want to be a microwave. I did like the way that the Doctor couldnt stop him, but not the "did you ever love osmeone you shouldnt" bit.

For the second week running I found Smith acting again - this time when Amy reveals she knows nothing about the Daleks. Again I cant remember where in the shooting blocks this came but I hope it was early.

As for the crack
    well thats what you get when you shove a gallifrey sized hole in the walsl between reality
    not to mention the fact that everyone in the RTD era used to commute between universes so frequently they should have called bloody Hogworts for a loan of the train. Apart from that I really like Amy's character, I like the funny bits (Well I was promised Tea), and I do like this Doctor a lot. Any complaints about Stiff upper lip and Churchill are overlooking the fact that Doctor Who, the Daleks and the Spitfires, Churchill are all icons of Britain, and its the most Bristish of shows on the box right now.

I have to worry about the SFX, they seem cheap. God knows what they look like on HD but my 8 year old plasma reveals them to be not terribly convincing (and a big hello to the modern office block in the background behind the Daleks on the roof) and once you think about it, it becomes a fixation during the show for me, and is distrcting. I thought The Mill was doign the SFX again this year, but it looked like some other name in the credits at the end.

Anyway, not a dud by any means, I hope to God that next week is not a big deflation for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

First off, thanks Ridley for that amazing youtube link. Love it.

In relation to the episode, worst one yet but I still half enjoyed it.

Pros

Smith still playing a blinder. He seems to be holding the new audience well also.

Dalek ship was lovely! Nice design work in there

Liked the big massive screen in the TARDIS. That's one of my favourite things about the classic tardis, the screen allowing you to see where you land. Love that. Hope it's officially back.

Jammy dodger. Yeah it doesn't make sense that the Daleks can build humanoid's but not spot a biscuit a mile off but it is *very* Doctor Who!

Cons

Pond got on my wick a bit in this one with her "Paisley nonsense". I know they're going for the fearless thing but no hesitancy at all in meeting CHURCHILL? Madness. Hope she goes back to previous form next episode.

I'm devastated by Mark Gatiss. I'm a huge League fan and a fan of his in general and I when I relate this episode to him it makes me really dislike it because I had such expectations. I liked his previous episode (series 1) but this was just shoddy in parts.

Yer man playing churchill. Horrific. Much better quality actor than he showed himself to be in this role.

Rainbow Daleks. Agree with the above sentiments regarding toy manufacturing. I agree that returning them to the style of the 60's (original daleks) would be logical but the paint job was a bad idea. They annoyed me immensely. I really liked their ship though!

One aspect of the story that really annoyed me was the fighter jets being magically able to fly into space in an instant. Like in the space of what was meant to be "twenty minutes". That really REALLY annoyed me because they never even gave a half decent scientific waffle explanation for it. Even if they had said I can reverse the polarity blah blah blah I would have been happier. At least there was a reason for their quick adaptation to space travel. That was my biggest issue with the episode.

There were lots of silly unnecessary things in the episode and by god I hope if Gatiss does get another shot he doesn't let me (and several others I'd assume) down again.

I'm gonna give it a 5/10.

BRING ON THE ANGELS!!!!
    And River. What a legend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I love the new Daleks, pretty much the only part of the episode I enjoyed to be honest

Really disappointed with the new Daleks, Big fat overblown things, they should have left a perfectly good 1960s 'design icon' alone!

On the other hand, the New Mini has successfully replaced the old 'classic' in our affections, so maybe the new Daleks will too ? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 55,483 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

57 posts and nobody mentioned the music?

Half the time, I couldn't hear the bloody dialogue. The sound mixer needs to be fired.

TURN THE F**KING MUSIC DOWN!

Oh, and I ♥ Karen Gillan. There, I said it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Mr E wrote: »
    57 posts and nobody mentioned the music?

Half the time, I couldn't hear the bloody dialogue. The sound mixer needs to be fired.
    We're probably sick of saying it. It's been a problem since "Rose" and shows no signs of being fixed. *Sigh*

• Registered Users Posts: 20,965 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Didn't care for the episode but wasn't surprised. The Dalek episodes are generally a disappointment, and Mark Gatiss's Who episodes are generally only passable in my opinion. They only seemed good in previous series when contrasted with the RTD fart monster episodes.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i didn't think It'd be possible for me to dislike a Doctor more than tennant, but the new guy just isn't doing it for me at all.

The godawfullness of this episode probably didn't help.

Advertisement