Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying Blu-ray's in ireland.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Animation in HD does look amazing. I would try CDWow for Blu-Rays. They can be quite cheap compared to other websites and there are a few £1 off vouchers around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

basquille wrote: »
    Yeah, but I think you're missing the point.

Blu-Ray is more expensive because it's a new technology.. it's as simple as that. DVD's were the same when they were introduced compared to VHS.

It'll take at least 2 - 3 years when they're more established until they'll be able to push prices down. And even longer before you see them on sale at the same price as DVD's on sale.

It's saturation of the market.. simple as that!

Yea it's new technology so lets bump up the price 100% because there's alway those special people who are easily parted from their money , they console themselves with stories of it looks better so it must be worth it. It isn't worth it, the prices are artificially high because you people still buy them, if nobody bought them the prices would fall, some hope of that though there's always the few

• Registered Users Posts: 43,833 ✭✭✭✭Basq

MooseJam wrote: »
    Yea it's new technology so lets bump up the price 100% because there's alway those special people who are easily parted from their money ,
    Jesus.. are you even reading what I'm saying? If it's bumped up 100%, you're shopping in the wrong places!

Most new-release Blu-Ray's (bar the older films re-released) are typically €5 - €10 more than their DVD counterparts. Many people (including me) think it's more than worth the extra.
    they console themselves with stories of it looks better so it must be worth it. It isn't worth it
    Yeah, and people said no-one would embrace DVD when VHS was "just fine!"

No offence.. but you're clearly speaking out of your ass.. and not "worth it" - obviously spoken by someone who either has never seen a Blu-Ray or hasn't watched it on a nice 1080P LCD TV with a good 5.1 surround sound system behind it.
    , the prices are artificially high because you people still buy them, if nobody bought them the prices would fall, some hope of that though there's always the few
    "Artifically high"? Always the few that buy them? Sorry to beat an old horse.. but DVD was also highly (or "artifically") priced when it was released too. People still bought it in droves and eventually saturation occurred and prices dropped. Blu-Ray will be the exact same! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭rednik

If you haven't ordered it yet play have it in stock and as part of their 3 for 2 offer might be worth checking out. They have some other good titles in the offer.

Jesus.. are you even reading what I'm saying? If it's bumped up 100%, you're shopping in the wrong places!

Most new-release Blu-Ray's (bar the older films re-released) are typically €5 - €10 more than their DVD counterparts. Many people (including me) think it's more than worth the extra.

yes but I can guarantee that the discs don't cost 5-10 euro more to produce
    they are just a plastic disc - so I call bullsh1t on the price , the greedy buggers just slapped the biggest price on the things that they think those few "special" people will fork out.
    No offence.. but you're clearly speaking out of your ass.. and not "worth it" - obviously spoken by someone who either has never seen a Blu-Ray or hasn't watched it on a nice 1080P LCD TV with a good 5.1 surround sound system behind it.

Actually my pc is the bomb, I have a 26 inch monitor and 5.1 surround, I also have high speed BB so I've downloaded many 1080P, yes I can see an improvement in the picture, pimples, blackheads and all kinds of skin blemishes are now highly visible, however I don't think this equates to a higher price. Pricing something based on subjectivity is bullsh1t, what if in buying your next TV you were told they were slapping 500 extra onto the price because in their opinion it looked nicer than your old one, would you smile and hand over the readies ? I think not. same difference dude, think about it !
    "Artifically high"? Always the few that buy them? Sorry to beat an old horse.. but DVD was also highly (or "artifically") priced when it was released too.

that doesn't make it right , I'm always prepared to part with my money when the price is right, but in this case it ain't. In my opinion the price should be the same as DVD, it isn't because maybe 30% of the population are "special" and easily seperated from their money, the rest of us with sense will just buy dvds untill the price comes down - In short you basquille and people like you are the reason most of us are still buying DVD's,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Dirk_Diggler

Eh why should it be the same price as a dvd? There is a massive difference in quality you realise?

thats subjective

But Blu Ray and DVD are two different types of technoogy. A Blu Ray disc can hold up to 50GB of info while a DVD can only hold 8GB at the most. Therefore, it would cost more to produce the product. The price of Blu Ray could have alot to do with demand. There isn't as big of demand for Blu Ray as DVD so the retailer won't buy as many BR discs so therefore wont get as big of a discount as they would when buying a big bulk of DVDs.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

DVD's were just as expensive if not more so when they came on the scene. They were just plastic aswell.

However, there is a difference in cost between a dual-layer DVD with a max capacity of 8.5GB, and a BD-DL with 50GB.

Also is the "economies of scale" as BD's are less popular than DVD, ergo they'll cost more, just like DVD did when VHS was the norm. As the BD's become more popular, they should become cheaper to manufacture/press.

Edit: Dman more or less beat me to it!

they would also be cheaper if nobody bought them at this price, thats all I'm saying

• Advertisement

What the hell is this guy on about?

dude it's easy, nobody buy blu-rays at the inflated price and they will have to drop the price to sell any, couldn't be any simpler

You off on some mission or something? Did you do the same with DVDs?

hey I've got your best interest at heart

they would also be cheaper if nobody bought them at this price, thats all I'm saying
    Ah now, MooseJam is right..

Listen.. if nobody buys a BMW at their inflated price, soon they'll drop down to the price of a 1999 Corsa.

That's the plan!

HA! :D

haha, this is so pathetic :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,505 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Moose, your fighting a losing battle, DVD's were inflated a few years back, I remember paying nearly £30 punts for Titanic for a featureless movie only version in Dixons, this was back in the DVD = New technology times, Blu-Ray is still relatively new, people pay the premium to get the best quality picture and sound, no point saying its subjective if your watching Blu-Rays on a 26" monitor, you really need to watch on 37" plus size screens and run the sound through the a high-def amp like an Onkyo 605 or 606. One day it will be the norm and prices will tumble, but that time the next best thing will have come along and us early adaptors will jump ship and this arguement will come up again :)

Sorry Snake.. I couldn't read past that fact you paid £30 for Titanic! :D

Ah no.. you're spot on. I'm just watching the Cloverfield Blu-Ray on my 37" 1080P LCD TV through my Creative DDTS 5.1 decoder running to a Creative Inspire T6100 surround sound system and it truly is just brillant!

Don't get me wrong.. I still own a fair share of DVD's but watching a few Blu-Ray's have me sold. I'll still buy DVD's as they're far from past their sell-by date but watching big action flicks in HD (my copy of The Dark Knight on Blu-Ray is on pre-order for €19) is the only way to go.

Where did you get The Dark Knight for €19? Its a very good deal.

Dman001 wrote: »
    Where did you get The Dark Knight for €19? Its a very good deal.
    TheHut.com

• Advertisement

Cheers but I see Zavvi.co.uk have it for £15 and delivery is free to Ireland for your first order so it works out at under €18.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,505 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Ah no.. you're spot on. I'm just watching the Cloverfield Blu-Ray on my 37" 1080P LCD TV through my Creative DDTS 5.1 decoder running to a Creative Inspire T6100 surround sound system and it truly is just brillant!

Don't get me wrong.. I still own a fair share of DVD's but watching a few Blu-Ray's have me sold. I'll still buy DVD's as they're far from past their sell-by date but watching big action flicks in HD (my copy of The Dark Knight on Blu-Ray is on pre-order for €19) is the only way to go.

Yeah I know Basq Sad :o, don't know what posessed me, thought it would look and sound great on DVD and would be a good demo disc. Anyway trying not to fall into that trap with Blu-Ray.

Cloverfield is great demo material on Blu-Ray and The Dark Knight will be great I got it for €17 from the Hut when they where doing a 10% day a few weeks back :) if you have Batman Begins it has the first 6 minutes of TDK and I love using that as demo material for friends and family :).
    I've actually stopped buying and renting DVD's (only exception is tv boxsets).
    I have double dipped on some old favourites that I want to see in High Def, as long as there is some improvement, e.g. Blade Runner, The Shining, Goonies, The Lost Boys etc. And I will only buy Blu-Rays with High Def Soundtracks, Warner have been guilty recently of only putting Dolby Digital 5.1 on movies like Interview with the Vampire, they've also done this on some european releases like The Prestige plain Dolby Digital 5.1, this actually prompted me to import a US PS3 so I could buy The Region A (locked) Prestige with PCM 5.1 (sad I know:o)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

wait, you'll still buy DVDs? :eek:

DVDs are just as over priced as blu rays are

• Registered Users Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭branners69

... I remember paying nearly £30 punts for Titanic...

I was an early enough DVD consumer, I think it was early 1999 when I bought my Pioneer DV 717! I remember being in Australia soon after and I paid nearly £50 (punt) for Platoon. :eek:

I have over 600 DVDs now, like most I will only be replacing my classics with blu-ray to take advantage of the incredible video and sound which blu-ray offers!

dude it's easy, nobody buy blu-rays at the inflated price and they will have to drop the price to sell any, couldn't be any simpler

You really dont have a clue, new technology is wasted on people like you who just moan about the price. No one is forcing you to buy blu-ray so just stick to DVD if it makes you happy and leave technological advances to us who can appreciate it and afford it!

branners69 wrote: »
    You really dont have a clue, new technology is wasted on people like you who just moan about the price. No one is forcing you to buy blu-ray so just stick to DVD if it makes you happy and leave technological advances to us who can appreciate it and afford it!

Dude I get all the Jam I want, free off the net, so you go and waste your money if it makes you happy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Dude I get all the blu-ray I want, free off the net, so you go and waste your money if it makes you happy

It's probably not a good idea to go boasting about your copyright infringement and piracy on a public forum.

fixed :)

Dude I get all the Jam I want, free off the net, so you go and waste your money if it makes you happy

I assume you are downloading uncompressed 1080p files, which would mean your downloads are in the region of 30gb per film???

If your not then you aint getting full Blu-ray quality mate! But as you are only watching on a 26" screen it wouldnt really matter.

Just to get this thread back on topic I see HMV have 2 for €29 + delivery, not as good as zavvi though! But they do have 300 for £10 sterling!

nah they are like 12 gigs or so a film, and they look just like real blu-ray they do on a 37 inch screen, saying you can't watch blu-ray on a 26 inch screen is bullsh1t, it's the resolution that counts not the screen size, you could watch blu-ray on a 15 inch laptop if it could do 1900x1200

• Advertisement

nah they are like 12 gigs or so a film and they look just like real blu-ray they do on a 37 inch screen, saying you can't watch blu-ray on a 26 inch screen is bullsh1t, it's the resolution that counts not the screen size, you could watch blu-ray on a 15 inch laptop if it could do 1900x1200

I never said you can't watch blu-ray on a 26" screen ( you really like to mis-read things dont you?) but at the end of the day watching a blu-ray on a 26" is like driving a Ferrari on a normal road, but in order to fully appreciate the Ferrari you would want to get it onto a driving track, or in blu-ray terms in order to fully appreciate it you would want to be watching it on something bigger than a 26"

Advertisement