Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doctor Who - 30x13 - Journey's End [SPOILERS][MERGED]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 ophilia

I enjoyed it, it was its usual messy self but again disapointed that poor donna got no where. She was a great side kick for the dr, they played well off each other after martha's stiff wooden character. Also glad rose got her man. However I just don't understand the return of the cybermen at christmas "AGAIN" I don't get why the season finales are really good then the christmas specials are so crap. Will his daughter be back for that or is she just floating around until someone remembers that she's there.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 ophilia

I just rewatched the credits what did i miss for the second time?? hope its not the crappy looking christmas special you mean:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

Mostly it was gay, mostly.

Plus the alternative Doctor's Tyler Durden
    "I look like you wanna look, I **** like you wanna ****"
    moment on the beach was just cringeworthy :-s

• Registered Users Posts: 20,965 ✭✭✭✭Stark

That ad reminded me of the ad for "South Park : Bigger, longer and uncut".

• Registered Users Posts: 24,196 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Well, it was apparently Moffat who requested that Jenny survive so I think it's safe to assume she won't be resurrected as a character until he takes the helm.

Another Cyberman episode doesn't exactly thrill me either. What's wrong with creating new villains?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,145 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Sleepy wrote: »
    What's wrong with creating new villains?

Well if new villains are anything like the Rachnoss or Max Capricorn, then I'll pass on the Xmas day new villains thanks ;)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Sleepy wrote: »
    Well, it was apparently Moffat who requested that Jenny survive so I think it's safe to assume she won't be resurrected as a character until he takes the helm.

Another Cyberman episode doesn't exactly thrill me either. What's wrong with creating new villains?

Old villians get higher viewing figures and appear on the front of English TV magazines. That's what. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Maybe the Daleks are a metaphor for Lisbon.

yeah this was brought up in the prior episode discussion what with there being 27 planets etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

I quite enjoyed it, far from the best episode ever but far from the worst. Some bits were a bit pointless (I'm looking at you Jackie) but it was still enjoyable.

I think you're all being a bit harsh by screaming 'cop out' every 5 minutes. Isn't that the point of Cliffhangers? If you took that view on it then nearly every single episode of *insert drama series here* is made up of cop outs. We all knew that Torchwood/Sarah Jane etc would survive yet seem outraged when they did. Just because it wasn't as amazing as you'd hoped doesn't automatically make it a cop out.

So I don't think it's full of cop-outs just because no one died (although I wish rose did). The thing that pissed me off was what they did to Donna. Ruling out the best and most balanced companion The Doctor has had was just RTD being a bastard. Oh well, at least Rose has gone back to her universe to have heaps of mini doctors. Once she stays there. Hopefully Moffat will have enough sense to not drag her kicking and screaming back in.

On a side note, does anybody know who wrote the specials coming up for next year, is RTD not finished yet or is Moffat starting safe with the Cybermen?

still RTD for the christmas i believe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

Well I liked it up to the point at which the Davros story ended - the rest could have been tied up much more quickly - pity Donna had to go but at least she won't be coming back for guest appearances.

Without doubt my best bits were the Daleks' Hitleresque 'Exterminieren' when Martha teleported to Germany, Dalek Caan's gleeful treachery, Davros being maniacal throughout and finally K9's surprise (to me anyway!) appearance.

Ianto and Gwen didn't do anything and were superfluous to the story, and same could be said for Jackie Tyler and especially Martha's mother.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Arabel wrote: »
    On a side note, does anybody know who wrote the specials coming up for next year, is RTD not finished yet or is Moffat starting safe with the Cybermen?
    RTD is in control of the specials, afaik. He's writing them.

Moffat takes over at the start of the next full season.

just looking at it again, I have to say I like Captain Jack's line when they pointed out there were 3 doctors :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

Gosh, three threads to merge :D

I deliberately waited until I had watched it all again on BBC3 before I posted, as the popebenny16 living room was a bit mad last night, three children were literally hopping up and down, crying in delight at some parts, worried as hell at other parts. In that way you have to hold your hand up and take your hat off to RTD : he delivered a very exciting one hour show at peak Saturday evening time which pulled in 9.4 million viewers.

As someone who hasn't always agreed with RTD or what he has done, and, more to the point, his limitations as a writer, I have to admit that if I was in his position this is broadly the two parter I would have done. It's a "B" movie thunderbolt. Biggest Villians, three herioines, two hero's, and all the new people he'd created all playing a major part (apart from Jackie, but I always liked her - then again I'm 37) all ending with a big bang and a happy result for all the characters, maybe even the Doctor. After what he has done for the series (even if i dont subscribe to the RTD brought back the Doctor theory) the man is entitled to his indulgence, so long as it gets lots of views and makes us all excited.

You could say he is entitled to re-hash previous moments of glory (which we noted started last week) by going back to Bad Wolf Bay, to making a good point about the 9th Doctor, by referencing a DNA solution being broadcast through all the Daleks, by noting that Gwen is a decedent of the chamber maid in the Charles Dickens episode, by having a companion dying who doesn't die (Rose in series 28) and, as has been noted, resetting a plot in the same breath, not to mention saving a companion who looked into the time vortex (albeit in a roundabout way with Donna).

RTD is fantastic in setting up a climax, he did it so well last week, he always does it so well. He also latched onto a fantastic aspect of the Doctor - his loneliness - and also another aspect - that others die for him and he goes on. His development of this, coupled with his 9th/Rose relationship was excellent. 9th was a shell shocked Doctor, traumatised by the time war. Its fairly well said he killed all the Daleks and the Timelords by using some ultimate device - which shows us why he has a very introspective moment when Martha tells him of the ousterhausen key.

As noted above, he also has a great way of dealing with villains but I have to say that I loved this Davros. He was understated, and it made him even more menacing. His reality bomb also referenced nicely back to Skaro in Genesis, when he tells the Doctor that he would release that virus and kill everything. In Journey's End he finally gets his chance. No doubt the sealed off vault survived the big bang and Caan and Davros will return.

Yes, there were plot holes to drive a bus through. Yes, Doctor Donna, not to mention Doctor lite were a cop out (but handy for the real doctor not to do the dirty work) and yes, if you took Rose out of this story it wouldn't have affected it one jolt (hope she gets that fecking lip fixed) [as an aside, mrspopebenny is of the belief that Rose is a utterly pathetic lovesick saddo with a daddy complex] and also resetting Donna was a horrible thing to do, we could almost have had a Romana for next year :P

Oh, six people to drive the TARDIS properly???? Feck off!!! Then again, forgivable bit of Writerwank.

So far, so generous of me. Yes, the kids loved it, many many people would have loved it, I think long term Whovians (like some on this board) wouldn't. That's life. I was carried along by the frantic excitement but when the Crucible blew I felt shallow and empty, the big moment had happened, all that remained was to get the rest over with. It reminded me of a one night stand, all the excitement followed by all the desire to mutter as few words as possible, try to be nice to each other, but really, you want to get out of there.

So, I glanced at the clock, it was 7.20. Another 20 mins. When Mickey/Rickey said "I know what happens next" before running off to Torchwood in January I said the same. A parting of the ways in which the shallow greed and neediness of Rose was contrasted with the pathos of Donna's fate. In yet another nod to his own storyline's, both had looked into the Vortex, both needed the Doctor to wipe it from their minds, but Donna went a lot further than Rose and suffered more. Well, at least Rose got Doctor lite, who mush have been well pleased that she ran after the TARDIS.

By the way, how come there isn't a Doctor in her universe?

The ending, though, was very good. Bernard Cribbens did it again, and Donnamum's "I think Mr Smith was just leaving" was truly excellent after what we saw of her in Turn Left.

As for that ending. Not at "What!!??" in sight. Good.

As for Cybermen. I like them. But, how did alternative universe Cybermen end up in Victorian England?

Oh, God no. Not again!!!!!

Arabel wrote: »
    I quite enjoyed it, far from the best episode ever but far from the worst. Some bits were a bit pointless (I'm looking at you Jackie) but it was still enjoyable.

I think you're all being a bit harsh by screaming 'cop out' every 5 minutes. Isn't that the point of Cliffhangers? If you took that view on it then nearly every single episode of *insert drama series here* is made up of cop outs. We all knew that Torchwood/Sarah Jane etc would survive yet seem outraged when they did. Just because it wasn't as amazing as you'd hoped doesn't automatically make it a cop out.

So I don't think it's full of cop-outs just because no one died (although I wish rose did). The thing that pissed me off was what they did to Donna. Ruling out the best and most balanced companion The Doctor has had was just RTD being a bastard. Oh well, at least Rose has gone back to her universe to have heaps of mini doctors. Once she stays there. Hopefully Moffat will have enough sense to not drag her kicking and screaming back in.

The problem as I see it is this: Just like in professional wrestling, if cliffhanger after cliffhanger is spoiled with a cop out (or Dusty finish, as it is known in wrestling) the people watching start disbelieving the cliffhanger and stop caring, which is a bad thing.

I mean, people expect this so much from RTD that no one even started a "who is the next doctor?" thread here.

I thought the episode was very good in some ways (the dark side of the doctor, donna's scenes, Davros) but failing to deliver on cliff hangers WILL start to impede on viewing figures- exactly as it has with professional wrestling. (An odd comparison, I know!)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

There were some genius little bits mixed with some crap bits, I thought. German speaking Daleks are possibly the niftiest thing I've seen on TV in years, but Doctor/Donna was easily the most annoying. The excessive technobabble and lack of depth to the plotline was a let-down, but there were some nice character moments (Captain Jack's comment when the "3 doctors" thing was explained, or Mickey running off to join the Torchwood gang).

Overall it felt far too much like RTD writing a big "see all the cool stuff I did?" episode, but it could have been worse I suppose. I'm curious to see whether Tennant remains the Doctor or not once Moffat takes over...

Edited to add:

While we're making odd comparisons, this episode brought to mind two comparisons to comics. The whole "Donna being killed by her memories of the Doctor" thing was reminiscent of both the "One More Day" storyline in Spiderman recently (as well as the proposed Superman 2000 storyline which was going to be used to split up Superman and Lois Lane in the exact same way); whereas the Doctor's loneliness and using people to fight for him/getting them killed was very similar to John Constantine from Hellblazer. (Yes, there was a movie as well, but the less said about that the better, frankly...)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,145 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Actually, the thought just occurs about this kitchen sink plot. Perhaps it's RTDs attempt to tie up all the loose arcs that he created so as to hand a clean slate over to the Moff when he takes over the top spot? Yes, I'm clawing for excuses here people, but hey, sue me :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

worst. episode. ever.

Well not quite, but still for a session end pretty poor all round. Although I'll agree that Bernard Cribbens was excellent, and too my surprise Davros wasn't as awful as I imagined he would be.

The ending was a complete farce.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,965 ✭✭✭✭Stark

worst. episode. ever.

Well not quite, but still for a session end pretty poor all round.

I still think "Last of the Timelords" retains the prize for worst finale ever. At least there were some redeeming moments this time round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Stark wrote: »
    I still think "Last of the Timelords" retains the prize for worst finale ever.
    Ohh I don't know if I could agree with that statement. The "last of the timelords" was pure panto and was streets ahead of the conclusion of this mess.

The only decent bit in the whole thing was the very final scene with the doctor alone on the tardis. Then again perhaps we are looking at this too hard, my 6 and half year old loved it. Then again one good thing did come out of it I was nagged into getting the sarah jane adventures for him which have proven much much better than the more 'adult' other shows.

Personally I'd love to see the series fork and have a series with the darker tones which where getting reintroduced in the Mc Coy era where the doctor was not as benign as he is shown now.

• Advertisement

Well here's the thing - both parts of the finale received an audience appreciation index figure of 91 - 85 and over is considered to be widespread audience acclaim and that 91 is the highest figure the new series has ever received (aside from being a rare high for TV in general). So yes, perhaps as fans / sci-fi geeks we're being too harsh and judgemental when the general TV population simply loved it?

pixelburp wrote: »
    Well here's the thing - both parts of the finale received an audience appreciation index figure of 91 - 85 and over is considered to be widespread audience acclaim and that 91 is the highest figure the new series has ever received (aside from being a rare high for TV in general). So yes, perhaps as fans / sci-fi geeks we're being too harsh and judgemental when the general TV population simply loved it?

It's funny!

Personally, I liked that Rose is resolved, and never saw her as the whiny brat that others did. My main problem is the cop outtyness.

Was it RTD who said Doctor Who isn't competing with Sci Fi but with Shameless?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Eleventythousandmillionplusvotes

I loved it, granted there were some pointlessish bits, like most of the torchwood or Sarah Jane arc seemed to be to remind people that a whole other series existed (I watch Torchwood but I've never seen SJA) but I loved davros

aint this the last year RTD has teh franchise on Daleks, quite a nice way to wrap up the species I thought

and DAVROS was brilliant, so so so Evil and deliberate, while the doctor ever running never lookin back for shame, that was a great line, he really ahd a handle on him, opposite sides same coin and all that. thats what Simms master lacked, a beard and a propper crazyeyed maniacal laugh, davros was what I remember from when I was a kid, cold nasty impersonal and raspy

I thought the inclusion of Jackie and the othe rminor characterws was a good idea, they were all part of the critical sequence of events that Caan manipulated, Jackie was there to enforce that, she mattered to Rose, not the story however Rose mattered to the story And She mattered to Rose, if ya knowharImean.

However I did watch it via the interweb and it crashes at 6 minutes to go just as the doctor is leavin Donna's house and is sayin goodbye to Cribbens/grandad

did I miss much, I was aware of a christmas special C/O Planet Galifrey, so what did I miss?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

great episode some lame bits such as the regeneration but generally good.

Davros was better than how i remembered.

It was nice to see the Dr offer to save him. I assume he survives.

What was up with Donnas ring? Its seemed to pull her hand towards the Dr' spare hand and then at the end it was shown several times when she was on the phone? Are we sure she is not a time lord in disguise or maybe something else ? I think she will be back

Can't wait for the Cybermen. They are one of best Dr Who villians!

amen wrote: »
    great episode some lame bits such as the regeneration but generally good.

Davros was better than how i remembered.

It was nice to see the Dr offer to save him. I assume he survives.

What was up with Donnas ring? Its seemed to pull her hand towards the Dr' spare hand and then at the end it was shown several times when she was on the phone? Are we sure she is not a time lord in disguise or maybe something else ? I think she will be back

Can't wait for the Cybermen. They are one of best Dr Who villians!

Apparently it is mentioned in the commentary they shot a scene which never made it into the finished episode where Donna hears the Tardis disappear, and stares into space, like she's remembering... so that door is prob being left open, tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭AngryBadger

1) At the end of everything it was all wrapped up a bit too neatly. Mickey is obviously joining Torchwood, Rose is with the "other" Doctor, Donna is back home with no memory of anything, Martha is obviously also joining Torchwood, and all'r right with the world. I don't necessarily have a problem with any ONE of those things, but that they were all thrown in for the last 5 minutes made it feel rushed and inconsequential.

2) Why didn't they keep Dr. Donna, or the "other" doctor? That would have been cool, and a great jumping off/on point for the show.

3) Once again the series ends with the Doctor all alone, having wiped out the Daleks, I dunno, can't they shake it up a bit? Less clean, more dirty??

4) How many times did someone just 'port in at the last second and blast some Daleks to save the day? Seemed like every few minutes someone was teleporting somewhere to save someone, felt a bit over-used.

5) If Davros was being kept in in the cellar, why did he have a console which seemed to be able to control everything on the Crucible?

6) The doctors "regeneration" could be seen a mile off, although the second doctor was kind of cool. Donna getting the mind of a timelord was fine, the fact that she needed a "jolt" to activate it, was not.

Overall, I thought the episode was fine. Felt they did introduce some cool ideas, (i.e. Dr. DOnna, the second Doctor etc.), but they really did nothing with those ideas, and then tied them all off by the end of the episode. So really, what was the point?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

1) At the end of everything it was all wrapped up a bit too neatly. Mickey is obviously joining Torchwood, Rose is with the "other" Doctor, Donna is back home with no memory of anything, Martha is obviously also joining Torchwood, and all'r right with the world. I don't necessarily have a problem with any ONE of those things, but that they were all thrown in for the last 5 minutes made it feel rushed and inconsequential.

Ah now, you forgot all those people who were left rending their clothes and gnashing their teeth now that RTD is gone. It was a wee bit OTT imo...

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Ziggy_1972

I liked it, for the most part. I just felt that there were too many characters.
    I knew that the regeneration wouldn't produce a new Doctor, it would have been leaked if a new actor were taking over.
    I liked Donna a lot more than I expected to. I'm not a fan of The Catherine Tate Show. She seemed a lot more Bolshi than any other companions, less reverent of the Doctor.
    Romana, wasn't she lost in E-Space? She could certainly make a return, as she wouldn't have been involved in the time war. Didn't she have K9 with her? How did he escape?
    Bernard Cribbins gave a great performance, but I loved him in Turn Left, when he knew what Labour Camps were.
    Great seeing Jackie Tyler too. Mickey definitely going to join Torchwood.

Am I right in thinking that there won't be a series next year, just a handful of specials? The track record for Chrimbo specials is very dodgy.
    I'd love to see a special featuring Paul McGann. Perhaps a death scene with a guest appearance by Christopher.
    I think the Timelords will be brought back eventually, after all, the Daleks keep returning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

Ziggy_1972 wrote: »
    I liked it, for the most part. I just felt that there were too many characters.
    I knew that the regeneration wouldn't produce a new Doctor, it would have been leaked if a new actor were taking over.
    I liked Donna a lot more than I expected to. I'm not a fan of The Catherine Tate Show. She seemed a lot more Bolshi than any other companions, less reverent of the Doctor.
    Romana, wasn't she lost in E-Space? She could certainly make a return, as she wouldn't have been involved in the time war. Didn't she have K9 with her? How did he escape?
    Bernard Cribbins gave a great performance, but I loved him in Turn Left, when he knew what Labour Camps were.
    Great seeing Jackie Tyler too. Mickey definitely going to join Torchwood.

Am I right in thinking that there won't be a series next year, just a handful of specials? The track record for Chrimbo specials is very dodgy.
    I'd love to see a special featuring Paul McGann. Perhaps a death scene with a guest appearance by Christopher.
    I think the Timelords will be brought back eventually, after all, the Daleks keep returning.

think this is the 4th K9!!! Romana wasn't lost, she went (so she could come back although how I dont know)

As for next year, the specials are as follows:

1. This Christmas (yep)
    2. Easter Saturday
    3. Not scheduled yet
    4. Christmas day 2009

Which is really appalling.

• Advertisement

your popiness, is there any news on the run time of these episodes? Are they 'feature length' as the rumour says I wonder or 60 minutes.

Oh and if you're posting at 5am feel free to pop over to the nocturnal forum, random chatbox does complain not enough people are up that early. :)

Advertisement