Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GAA watching in London and Paris

• 08-06-2016 1:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭

I'll be doing some sport cross-pollination and as a result I'll be finding myself in London and Paris this weekend for the oul Soccerfest 2016.

Anyway wanna try and catch KK v Dublin on Saturday somewhere in London (preferably near Sydenham/Crystal Palace) and on Sunday, Donegal and Fermanagh in Paris... Anybody got any recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Howya Bonnie .. best of luck on the travels. Shouldn't be "all" that hard to get to see the Dub/KK game as it's on Sky .. just have to convince the barman to turn off the Euros or Netball/Fishing/At the Races .. don't forget England are on that evening :o ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

DoctaDee wrote: »
    Howya Bonnie .. best of luck on the travels. Shouldn't be "all" that hard to get to see the Dub/KK game as it's on Sky .. just have to convince the barman to turn off the Euros or Netball/Fishing/At the Races .. don't forget England are on that evening :o ..

That's my concern. I shouldn't have a problem in England on Saturday . It's the Ulster ball in Sunday in Paris that I'm unsure of. Not a notion where to try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

That's my concern. I shouldn't have a problem in England on Saturday . It's the Ulster ball in Sunday in Paris that I'm unsure of. Not a notion where to try.

Aye no idea Bonnie - The Coolin which closed was the in pace in Paris by all accounts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Why don't you Google Irish pubs in Paris (English ones too, if access to Sky Sports sorts you out) or ask about it over in the Travel forum? Peeps there, may be more knowledgeable about watching Irish sporting events while overseas, than the exclusively GAA heads on here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

You might get it at Corcoran's bar, it's near Moulin Rouge, if you're facing MR it's on the same side of the street a few mins up and on the right

• Advertisement

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Why don't you Google Irish pubs in Paris (English ones too, if access to Sky Sports sorts you out) or ask about it over in the Travel forum? Peeps there, may be more knowledgeable about watching Irish sporting events while overseas, than the exclusively GAA heads on here.

Unfortunately from past experience a quick internet search whilst it has been done usually throws up stupid results. Many many times I have gone into "Irish" bars that apparently show GAA and have been met with quizzical heads of "What is that?"

I'd thought I would try my luck with the very lads and ladies in this world, who like me, are likely to want to head to see some GAA abroad when away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭howiya

GAAGO?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

You could download Mobdro, it's a pretty decent app that streams most channels live.

I have no more inclination to watching the matches on my phone.

I emailed Corcoran's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

for such questions, the easy solution is to work out where the local GAA team goes or who their pub sponsor is.

theres many more irish pubs on the continent which are ran by the english or locals, and inhabited by english stag parties looking for their 4th division relegation playoff or locals, than Irish pubs with irish owners, staff and customers.

and even irish ran and staffed pubs will often prioritise events that interest english punters rather than Irish. So, finding a GAA club link is often a good sign that you wont get shafted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,512 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Theres a group game in either Parc De Princes or Stade de France every second day, and fans of other teams are using Paris as a base or a pass through location.

It'd be fairly baffling for such soccer fans to walk into a bar and be told that the Euros are playing second fiddle to some weird Irish sport. I doubt any pub is going to do so.

Maybe, you know, embrace the Euros, meet fans of other teams, play street football, charm some Croatian and Swedish women, talk football with the lads etc.
    You'll have a thousand weekends of enjoying GAA in your life, but probably only a handful of weekends of being in the main city for a soccer tournament.

for such questions, the easy solution is to work out where the local GAA team goes or who their pub sponsor is.

theres many more irish pubs on the continent which are ran by the english or locals, and inhabited by english stag parties looking for their 4th division relegation playoff or locals, than Irish pubs with irish owners, staff and customers.

and even irish ran and staffed pubs will often prioritise events that interest english punters rather than Irish. So, finding a GAA club link is often a good sign that you wont get shafted.

Yeah that's what I as getting at really. My experience of Irish pubs abroad isn't great. I tend to avoid them. But for Sunday at 2 pm I have no choice but to search.

Thanks man, never thought about the GAA club angle.

Theres a group game in either Parc De Princes or Stade de France every second day, and fans of other teams are using Paris as a base or a pass through location.

It'd be fairly baffling for such soccer fans to walk into a bar and be told that the Euros are playing second fiddle to some weird Irish sport. I doubt any pub is going to do so.

Maybe, you know, embrace the Euros, meet fans of other teams, play street football, charm some Croatian and Swedish women, talk football with the lads etc.
    You'll have a thousand weekends of enjoying GAA in your life, but probably only a handful of weekends of being in the main city for a soccer tournament.

Are you having a laugh? "Embrace the Euros?"

I'm taking about 1h30 out of my Sunday whilst in Paris to watch a game of football. Embrace the Euros? Ffs.

And the reason for me posting this thread is precisely that given the nature of the tournament that I will find it difficult to watch Donegal and Fermanagh and had hoped that people on here would have experience of watching GAA in Paris I n their lives.

Embrace the Euros... my god.

Advertisement