Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Departed pets;

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Binka

I never thought I'd become so attached to her, but I did. The vet sent me a card, I was crying all over the place when I opened the envelope. Just wish she'd been able to enjoy her retirement for longer, but I keep reminding myself that at least she didn't die down that awful alleyway, on her own. I had to rush her into UCD as she just got up out of bed and collapsed, and that was it, off she went. My apartment is so empty without her :(

I feel your pain. I would love to see a picture of her. If you want to PM me I'll will give you my email and I will put the pic up for you. i won't be offended if you don't but the offer is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

So I lost my little buddy of 5+ years last night to a car.
    Had rescued Pyro as a little kitten from a family who found him but didn't want anything to do with him. He was underweight, terrible coat and generally malnourished. Took him to the vet, got some meds and a good feeding cycle going and he quickly became one of the best buds I'd ever had.
    I had one Kitten already when I found him and wanted a play-mate for her. Things didn't go to plan when we got him home. They argued... for days. :D
    I can still remember when eventually they were both sat on the back of the sofa near each other. Not so near as to actually want anything to do with each other, but close enough that promise was beginning to show.
    Eventually they could tolerate each other and even began to play a little.
    A very early show of them playing and sorting out their differences. Pyro was already doing tonnes better by this point.
    Pyro is obviously the ginger. The other is named Joy.

He was out and about yesterday. He was never happy with being kept indoors. Always wanting out. I know cats should be kept indoors for the most part but he just wouldn't have it. No matter what I did to keep him entertained while indoors he would always want out 5 minutes later.
    Last night I got the dreaded knock on my door from a neighbour asking if he was home. She had noticed a cat lying under a parked car up the road. I went up to check and sure enough, there he was. Rock solid and cold. Must have been hit a number of hours before.
    I wouldn't mind but my gut yesterday was telling me something had happened. I had been out looking for him only 30 minutes before the knock. Couldn't find him.
    Something just felt wrong inside. Now everything feels wrong inside. I feel heartbroken. The little $hit was one of my best friends.
    Such a unique attitude.
    Even small things I can remember from lately. Such a little headcase. During the rains a couple of weeks ago - do you think he wanted to stay in? Not a chance. He wanted out no matter what. So I let him during the lighter of it and usually stood out with him for a while so he could nosy about. He wouldn't go far in the rain.
    But what made me laugh was when he came back in. I'd have a huge towel ready to give him a pat down. He'd come in, jump on the towel and give out to me until I gave him a good drying. Then the second I finished, he'd jump back out the window into the rain again for 10 min, then back in and onto the towel again. Such a little brat. :D
    It was only late last night when I got the knock but I miss him horribly already. Not being at my bedroom door this morning when I woke up. Every morning he would be there. Waiting for me to open up to say hello. This is the first time in 5 years he was not. My stomach is like a lump of stone since. I kept looking to the window hoping he would jump up to it.

I had to go to work this morning no matter what. I'm sitting here trying to focus but not getting anywhere. All I can think of is him and Joy. She's back at home on her own at the moment and I'm worried sick about her. She already knows something happened. She kept looking to the windows last night. Went crazy sniffing around me when I took care of the body. She could smell him. But she could smell that it wasn't the normal him. I've never seen her act so strange. I ended up letting her into my bedroom to sleep for the night. Usually she would sleep in the living room. I shoved all the clothes I used while taking care of things into the washing machine and sealed the door so she couldn't smell it anymore. I've never seen her act so stressed. She's a very laid back kitty. Not bothered with going outside. Just likes to lounge around.
    I'm really worried about her. I have to work 8 hours a day. She'll be all alone during this time. Is there anything I can do to help her? I don't just want her staring out the window for 8 hours looking for him while I'm not there. I have plenty of toys out before I left today but she's never really been too interested in toys.
    She likes chasing shadows instead or maybe some string which I can do when home..
    I could really use some advice for her.

RIP Pyro. My best buddy. I'll miss you terribly. I wish I could have helped you last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

So sorry to hear this, I dont have any advice on what you can do with your other kitty but didnt want to read and run.

It seems like you gave him a great life and a second chance. I know you are probably all over the place with things and its understandable that you cant concentrate on anything at the moment. These little fur balls really do become part of the family dont they and its so hard when they are gone :(

Give your other cat lots of kisses and cuddles when you get home and remember the fun your little guy gave you for the time he was in your life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Internet Friend

My dog Cuddles who sadly passed away yesterday aged 23, she was a massive part of my life growing up. She truly was one of a kind, more than just a pet and will be missed by all the family. Given how old she was I knew this day would eventually come but I never imagined how devastated I would be, today was a difficult day in work.

This was taken last summer, aged 22.

IMAG0150_zpswoliuefr.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

My dog Cuddles who sadly passed away yesterday aged 23, she was a massive part of my life growing up.

Wow, 23 years old!
    No doubt that your immense love for her made her live that long.
    Love is the best cure for all.
    RIP Cuddles :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Wow, 23 years old!
    No doubt that your immense love for her made her live that long.
    Love is the best cure for all.
    RIP Cuddles :(

WOW 23 thats an amazing age!! God i just wish and hope my guy lives til he's 15/16... 23 would be unbelievable...

I'm sure she had a great life OP!
    at 22 in the photo she looked great! Cherish the memories. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,095 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

That's a phenomenal age! We got to 15 and we thought that was impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭anewme

We've had two 18 years (dog and cat), and a 14 years (dog) so wevw been lucky!

weve now got a beautiful lady coming up on 12 years old and recently she's aged, not too much, just more like a puppy till 10 or so! The thoughts that I could potentially have 10 more years with her is so positive.

So sorry for your loss, Cuddles looked fantastic for her age, The Helen Mirren Of the dog world. 23 years of love, you should be proud, we all know these days will come, but that doesn't make them any easier. Mind yourself.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Cj-JAcUWgAIrKFk.jpgCj-JAdcWYAAZykL.jpg

Two recent pics, the first from just two days ago, of my best buddy who we put to sleep tonight. His deterioration was rapid in the end, could have brought him home but he would have started suffering and no one wants that.

14 years old. My pal. Gone to chase stones in the big park in the sky. His sister, from the same litter, returned home with a clean bill of health. Coming to visit mum and dad just won't be the same anymore. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭The Young Wan

It's been almost a week, and it still hurts.

Last Wednesday we said goodbye to the biggest, fluffiest loser I've ever met. Lucky came into my family as part of the first litter of our cat Alfie, and I was besotted from the word go. She was gentle, loving, and I don't think anyone who met Lucky had anything bad to say of her.

She and I were best buds. She was my fluffy alarm clock, and would come in to my room each morning when she'd been let into the house. She had her spot on the bed, and every Saturday morning of my school life was spent being spooned by my 11lb ball of grey fur.

5jddSFw

If everyone loved Lucky, she certainly loved them back. She was the biggest attention seeker I've ever encountered, and if a new face came to the house she was stuck to them like glue. When they'd leave, she came back to me as if I hadn't just been betrayed by the love of my life.

Then, in November 2015, things started going downhill. On a trip back from Cardiff I noticed Lucky was limping. One of our other cats, Podge, has a limp as well, and that came from a fight. With Lucky, a fight wasn't likely – she was too placid. I demanded she be taken to a vet.

A vet confirmed the worst – cancer. At best, Lucky had barely a year left in her. Each time I came back from Cardiff for a visit after Christmas, I prepared myself with knowing that this would be our final time together.

Each time, she was still there waiting for me to come back. But tummy rubs, her favourite thing in the world (she would even hook her leg around your hand so you couldn't escape) became less and less frequent. She wasn't eating, so she lost all the paunch that made her my adorable little fatso. The week before she died, all she did was sit on my bed and just sleep the day off.

I came back from Cardiff on Tuesday, and the following morning she said her goodbyes. My Mam drove her to the vets in Dungarvan, and Lucky's little face poking up from the passenger seat is my final time seeing her alive. Saying goodbye to her, having our final sleepover the night before, and our little family gathering in the hall before four became three broke my heart utterly.

There are still two cats here, and I fully intend to rescue a cat when I have my own home. But there will never be another Lucky, and I have memories with her that I will treasure for the rest of my life.

Goodnight my angel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I love this thread and I hate this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,095 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

It will hurt for a lot longer than a week but it will get better. I would say it took me a good month to get rid of the memories of those last few days before Andy died and replace them in my mind with memories of the 15 great years he was with us for. Like your cat, he wasn't in great shape for a while before he died but he was still very much enjoying life as much as possible up to a week before he died, and that helped us too.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭nicki11

I lost my dog Zola yesterday. She was 12 my first proper pet (I only had fish before) and I don't know what to do so I thought I should acknowledge her death in some form online. I was shocked when I found out she had cancer and even more shocked that they couldn't do anything. That was a month ago and her personality changed.

She went from the crazy dog who'd want out a million times but mostly to feel the wind and have it flap her ears. If the back door was open she'd run from it and wouldn't stop until I caught her and that was how I knew she deserved her name (we named her for the Olympic athlete). She was also so sweet and caring, she'd follow me around the house and if I kept going back and forth between rooms she'd sit in the hall and watch until I went into the living room. If I got in trouble and my parents gave out to me she sit next to me and nudge and lick my hand until I pet her and looked at me with her chocolate brown eyes and I'd feel like everything was going to be ok. She'd curl up next to me to watch tv and only the fire would make her move, as she'd curl up infront of the range and when I pet her I could feel the heat and then she'd roll to bake the other side. She was always there for me, I could vent about the kids at school or being banned from video games for a week and all she'd ask for is a belly rub and ear scratch. When I went to college, she would go down to my bedroom and sleep on my bed and when I went home she'd huff at me like it was now her bed.

Then she got sick and nauseous and couldn't control her bowels. She hated it and would sit in shame and I thought that was the worst. Until the pain started, it was infrequent and was mostly when she went to the toilet, but then her arthritis got worse (because it had spread to her bones) and then she woke up in pain. It was too much, my energetic dog who couldn't wait for a walk wouldn't even get up for a walk let alone follow me around. She'd only get up when she had to. I said my goodbyes yesterday morning and had to head back home from my parents house (where she lived). As we couldn't stand her to spend one more day in pain, wake up one more day in pain, the vet was called. They put her to sleep at home and then my mom called me to tell me. I wasn't expecting it to be yesterday (didn't think the vet would come out straight away) but it was what was best for her and shes not in pain anymore and it would have been selfish and cruel of me to prolong it. I will always miss her and that first trip back to visit my parents where she isn't there will be hard but I have to keep reminding myself shes in a better place. Thanks for listening to my rant but writing this was helpful for me to understand my feelings. It will hurt every time I see where her bed used to be but my memories of her will last and the pain will lessen over time. She will always be my cuddly, sweet, caring, heat hogging, wind blowing through her fur golden blur.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭ankaragucu

Our little Yorkshire terrier died Saturday night aged 14.His name was Bruce (after The Boss) and although he was old and slowing up his death was still a shock as he was still totally mobile and had only been playing with the kids and me on the rug in front of the fireplace on the Thursday, as we had done so many years before.When I say he was the best little dog ever, all of you who have described YOUR dog that way will know what I mean.He really enriched our lives.Unfortunately I found him last Friday under my bed having some sort of fit and drooling.He seemed to recover but refused food and only drank water.I slept downstairs with him Friday night to keep an eye on him and again a couple of times he started heaving but there was nothing left to come out.He restlessly slept most of Saturday on some blankets in the living room, took a little water but we could see his balance was going the couple of times he did get up.He deteriorated very badly with his breathing very difficult.I went to retrieve his bed which we'd had to wash for him and as soon as I placed it back in its usual position by the side of the fireplace he dragged himself off the blankets and collapsed into his bed.Five minutes later he was gone, as we all cuddled and stroked him.Our two kids witnessed it all as they wanted to say their goodbyes too.They are 11 and 9 so have not known a time without Bruce.We are heartbroken but take some comfort from his long happy life and the fact that unlike leaving him at the vets, I buried him at the bottom of the garden (boy was that hard) so at least, we know where he is as it were.Just on that, we would like to place a stone with his name and dates on the spot as a memorial to him.If anyone could point me in the direction of where we could find such a service in Dublin I would much appreciate it.Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

Just lost Timmy,Hit by a car and looks like it was instant.

He wandered into our lives with a litter of kittens from this lovely stray cat about 9 years ago,Was 4 in total i think but this one kitten stood out,Small and fluffy,They were all feral but we would leave food out for them.

One day i noticed that the other kittens were not letting the little fluffy one the space and time to eat,Decision was made to try feed him separately as he was starting to look sick and we were sure he would not make it.
    Attempts were made and anyway he got enough to survive through the early stages.

Think it was a case that they used come and go for a long time,But finally it only ended up with Timmy that would show up on occasion,Still scared of humans but i don't recall him ever hissing.1388974743424.jpg

IMG_0120.JPG

3 years or so later he was a bit more approachable and around that time he damaged his tail,Maybe got caught on something-I don't know.
    Used be bleeding yet he seemed to just get on with it,Finally with him being approachable enough to get him into a cage he was taken to the vets and most of the tail removed.After this i spent long days and nights trying to reassure him while he was in the unfamiliar surroundings of a old curtain covered room in the house,He managed to figure out the litter box and while it was a struggle to keep him occupied and to stay in the house it was then i came to a realization that there was something special about the little guy,Maybe it was a sense of calmness that he had,Hard to tell really.

5 or 6 days later it was time to leave him out and hope that the stitches would be okay,And that he would not hold it against us.That evening he returned.

Over the next few years he became tamer and tamer,Friendlier and friendlier and somehow loved by even people who normally cant stand cat's.And all the time he would ramble the countryside,At times glad to sleep inside or in a little house i bought for him that he could use outside.Keeping the dog company on colder nights.

Collected him from the roadside earlier,Owed him the dignity to not lay there,He now is buried in the garden near my dog i lost 15 years ago.

As strange as it may seem i used think it a privilege that he would call for his dinner or call over in a evening to just sit on my lap and sleep for a half hour.Such a peaceful little guy,Will be missed more than can be put into words.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,474 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Had to put one of my Samoyeds down last night. He had maggots under his fur and had an open wound on his back, the size of a euro coin. Called out a 24 hour vet last night at 11pm. He said would be better to out him asleep.

Very very tough. We had him over a year. We took him in as a rescue dog as he was abandoned 4 times already. So so sad :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Tunage

I really never thought I'd be posting in here.

Today we lost Ali, a very very very much loved Boxer. A silly, loveable, monkey but also a fierce protector of her house.

My own dog's aunt, she was the driving force for me to get a boxer myself and when I ended up getting a pup that was related I was over the moon, they were so similar.

I cuddled you today Ali, I lay down beside you where you took your last breath this morning and my tears fell on your sweet, sweet face. I petted and kissed you and tugged your ear, just how you liked it because it was 'our' thing. I thought I didn't want to see you but I was glad I did. Sleep well beautiful girl xxxxxxxxxx :(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

We lost our beautiful Cody molly today after 8 fantastic years with her after she was attacked by 2 bull mastiffs .

I'm lucky in the respect I own 2 dogs . but samba will have to be spoiled a bit more now . poor fellers lost his best friend to .

We have loads of pictures with kids growing up and videos so nobody is ever going to forget you Cody molly .

Cody molly..... The white westie always coming home from her walk the brown westie .xxxxxxxxxxx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭ncur

Deeply sorry tunage and monkeysnapper for the loss of your pets Ali and Cody molly, they were very lucky to be part of your families, and you were lucky to have them in your lives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Didgeridoodoo

ankaragucu wrote: »
    Our little Yorkshire terrier died Saturday night aged 14.His name was Bruce (after The Boss) and although he was old and slowing up his death was still a shock as he was still totally mobile and had only been playing with the kids and me on the rug in front of the fireplace on the Thursday, as we had done so many years before.When I say he was the best little dog ever, all of you who have described YOUR dog that way will know what I mean.He really enriched our lives.Unfortunately I found him last Friday under my bed having some sort of fit and drooling.He seemed to recover but refused food and only drank water.I slept downstairs with him Friday night to keep an eye on him and again a couple of times he started heaving but there was nothing left to come out.He restlessly slept most of Saturday on some blankets in the living room, took a little water but we could see his balance was going the couple of times he did get up.He deteriorated very badly with his breathing very difficult.I went to retrieve his bed which we'd had to wash for him and as soon as I placed it back in its usual position by the side of the fireplace he dragged himself off the blankets and collapsed into his bed.Five minutes later he was gone, as we all cuddled and stroked him.Our two kids witnessed it all as they wanted to say their goodbyes too.They are 11 and 9 so have not known a time without Bruce.We are heartbroken but take some comfort from his long happy life and the fact that unlike leaving him at the vets, I buried him at the bottom of the garden (boy was that hard) so at least, we know where he is as it were.Just on that, we would like to place a stone with his name and dates on the spot as a memorial to him.If anyone could point me in the direction of where we could find such a service in Dublin I would much appreciate it.Thanks.

Sad stuff, the little Yorkies are faithful little chaps
    Always think of Greyfriars bobby- sounds like your man
    Any monumental works yard would do up something nice I'd say. You could set it in the ground flat or raised. I'm not in Dublin but I'd say any (human) gravestone makers would do small plaque style stuff
    Really nice idea btw

• Registered Users Posts: 25 michelleryan86

Sadly lost my guinea pig Penny during the week. She was 6 and 1/2 years old and we had her since the day she was born. She was the last of our little cavy family, its very upsetting not hearing her little noises when looking for food anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭jellybear

My beautiful french lop bunny Benny passed away today cuddled up in my arms getting plenty of kisses :( He was 5 and a half and the most gentle giant you'd ever meet. Heartbroken doesn't even come close to how I'm feeling. I love you my number one bun xxxx

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

My betta, Grump Face, died last night. He was about a year old. He had been doing so well ever since I got him - he was very active and always begging for food. And then on Monday when I came home from work I noticed he was pale and hardly moving. He had just gotten some new, treated water the day before and all the tests came back fine, so I thought perhaps he was constipated - he looked a little bloated, but aside from that there were no physical signs of ich or pop eye or dropsy. I figured it was swim bladder/constipation, so I was going to let him fast for a few days. He was a bit more active on Tuesday, but then he just sunk to the bottom of the tank and died. :(

RIP Grump Face. You were a beautiful fishy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

6 Months today. Christ. I can't believe it's been that long.

I still haven't been back to the place her ashes were scattered/buried. Might try it tomorrow, although I'm a bit wobbly about it tbh.

IMG_20150721_191801908_zpsiv7kfpen.jpg

And one from her younger days-
    KAYLA.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

OMG Raminahobbin - what a beauty !!! Fabulous cocker eyes too! hope your doing ok X

• Registered Users Posts: 6,111 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Sorry to hear, Raminahobbin. I've a Cocker too and that is hitting home. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Today our cat Millie died, aged 16

395202.JPG

A year and a month ago, this Lady left us aged 14
    395203.jpg

With another cat and three dogs of similar ages, we're not really looking forward to the next few months/years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

peasant wrote: »
    Today our cat Millie died, aged 16

A year and a month ago, this Lady left us aged 14

With another cat and three dogs of similar ages, we're not really looking forward to the next few months/years.

Sorry for your loss, Peasant :(
    They were two beauties, but what hit me is that Lady looks much like my Lola which is 16!
    What did they die from?
    The two cats have been photographed in the same exact spot of the lawn! ;)

Advertisement