Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

solo travel over 50

Options
  • 10-05-2016 8:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

I'm a 60 year old female and thinking of taking my first holiday on my own. Any advice what company should I go with. I don't want to end up being on my own for the whole time particularly for meals. I'd like to be part of a group. Italy is where I would like to go in June. I'm thinking of Travel Department but wondering if they do much to bring the group together??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Conor.d2

Hi Cath
    I have a couple of friends that have been on the Travel Department Solo-Friendly Holidays. One went to Lake Como in Italy and the other went to the Algarve. I believe they are very inclusive as the guide's there as a sort of social facilitator throughout the trip. They also have a welcoming drinks on the first night so you can mingle with the other travellers!
    Ive been looking into going on one too and also came across this article about Solos travel which is quite good
    poloconghaile.com/solo-travel-avoid-the-single-supplement/

Hope that helps
    Best wishes
    Conor

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Cathellen

Thanks for you comprehensive reply Conor. I'm actually collecting info for my sister as she is not on Boards. I do think she will try Travel Dept. but she wanted to go soon and their solo holidays don't start 'til Autumn also their range of solo holidays are limited enough. I am amazed at how much she will have to pay for 1 week as a lone traveller in June...seems very discriminatory.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Cathellen wrote: »
    Thanks for you comprehensive reply Conor. I'm actually collecting info for my sister as she is not on Boards. I do think she will try Travel Dept. but she wanted to go soon and their solo holidays don't start 'til Autumn also their range of solo holidays are limited enough. I am amazed at how much she will have to pay for 1 week as a lone traveller in June...seems very discriminatory.
    June is high season, is there any escaping it?.
    Single supplements ?, I can understand that the operator is in a sense losing out on making g money on another person in the room\equation.

Not to say that I agree with them.
    Is there any other option for your sister OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Cathellen

She has booked with The travel Dept now so lets see.....I'll report in July!!

Advertisement