Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Insignia and Google Maps

• 11-04-2016 9:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,342 ✭✭✭

I recently ditched my old car and bought a shiny new (for me) 10 Insignia. I'm in love with all the new toys but one thing is annoying me. I have my phone (HTC One M8) paired over Bluetooth and can use the car speakers to make phone calls. However I can't get Google Maps to play voice directions over Bluetooth, they only play over the phone speaker.

I've checked all the obvious things (it's paired, it's not muted, the voice over Bluetooth option in Google Maps is turned on) but it's stubbornly refusing to work. This used to work in my old car (connected to an external Jabra Bluetooth speaker) so I know it's not my phone but I'm at a loss what it could be.

Any takers?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

On an Opel I had the sat nav was only so-so so when I used Google maps you could only hear the voice instructions while streaming audio from the phone also. It wouldn't interrupt the radio for the voice instructions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

markpb wrote: »
    I recently ditched my old car and bought a shiny new (for me) 10 Insignia. I'm in love with all the new toys but one thing is annoying me. I have my phone (HTC One M8) paired over Bluetooth and can use the car speakers to make phone calls. However I can't get Google Maps to play voice directions over Bluetooth, they only play over the phone speaker.

I've checked all the obvious things (it's paired, it's not muted, the voice over Bluetooth option in Google Maps is turned on) but it's stubbornly refusing to work. This used to work in my old car (connected to an external Jabra Bluetooth speaker) so I know it's not my phone but I'm at a loss what it could be.

Any takers?

Google Maps -> Hamburger (top left corner) -> Settings -> Navigation settings -> Play voice over Bluetooth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,342 ✭✭✭markpb

grogi wrote: »
    Google Maps -> Hamburger (top left corner) -> Settings -> Navigation settings -> Play voice over bluetooth.

Done already. Didn't affect it at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

Which radio has it got?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Keith186

I couldn't get Android phones to work with an Insignia at all (for music, apps etc.), tried a few phones with different versions of Android too (not tried marshmallow yet). Strange, because it worked in an Astra before no problem.

• Advertisement

Which radio has it got?

CD 400 possibly. That's they only text on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Harcrid

In my car if I want to get BT audio from Google maps over the car speakers I have to have the source on the radio set to Bluetooth. Means you can't listen to the radio or anything at the same time. Not sure what the insignia set up is like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I reckon you'll need an active Bluetooth connection for it to work, so if you're streaming music from your phone for example you'll get it. That's how it's worked with other head units I've used it on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,707 ✭✭✭corks finest

markpb wrote: »

Any takers?
    Same here, via supertooth nuddy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,279 ✭✭✭ongarite

Maybe the Insignia only supports Bluetooth for phone calls.
    If you want voice navigation or music the car needs to support BT A2DP protocol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,808 ✭✭✭micks_address

i had a similar issue in my car.. there's an app called SoundAbout from the play store and it solved my issue.. might be worth giving a go..

ongarite wrote: »
    Maybe the Insignia only supports Bluetooth for phone calls.
    If you want voice navigation or music the car needs to support BT A2DP protocol.

I don't think so, other units I've owned all had A2DP, but a voice direction from an app is not treated the same as an incoming or outgoing call.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I don't think so, other units I've owned all had A2DP, but a voice direction from an app is not treated the same as an incoming or outgoing call.

Yes - the A2DP profile is required to stream audio (not the call) to the unit. But the unit must expect the stream to come, I have never seen automatic switching to a Bluetooth Source.

That is the only advantage of in-build SatNav I can see...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

I was delivering a Qashqai last week. Had the phone paired via B/T and Google maps running for directions, and it was such a pain in the hole.

The lovely lady from Google kept shouting at me while I was on the phone. People on the other end of the phone couldn't hear the Google lady, but I couldn't hear the other person while the Nav directions were coming through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭deadduck

Yes - the A2DP profile is required to stream audio (not the call) to the unit. But the unit must expect the stream to come, I have never seen automatic switching to a Bluetooth Source.

That is the only advantage of in-build SatNav I can see...

i've recently moved from Windows Phone to Android, and in my Seat Leon, the Windows Phone would read out texts and map directions regardless of the source chosen.

however, with the android phone, i'm having the same issue as OP. calls come through fine, and i can stream podcasts when i choose bluetooth. but directions don't come through at all. and when an SMS comes in, the notification sound comes through, but no option to read it aloud. not too worried about that, but the google maps directions not coming through is a real pain

also, my wife has a Samsung S5, and it's the exact same :(

deadduck wrote: »
    i've recently moved from Windows Phone to Android, and in my Seat Leon, the Windows Phone would read out texts and map directions regardless of the source chosen.

however, with the android phone, i'm having the same issue as OP. calls come through fine, and i can stream podcasts when i choose bluetooth. but directions don't come through at all. and when an SMS comes in, the notification sound comes through, but no option to read it aloud. not too worried about that, but the google maps directions not coming through is a real pain

I learn something new every day <ok>

Does it work with iStuff as well?

My wife used to have a Windows company phone and the text feature and reading of who the incoming call was from was great. She didn't use google maps at the time though so I don't know if it would have done the same for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭deadduck

I learn something new every day <ok>

Does it work with iStuff as well?

never got an opportunity to test an iphone, but i might if i can't get this working :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭ofcork

I have a 12 avensis and like the op couldnt get the voice through the speakers for google maps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 443 ✭✭ifeelstupid

There's also an option in Google Maps settings to play directions as Bluetooth Phone call - maybe this will work?

There's also an option in Google Maps settings to play directions as Bluetooth Phone call - maybe this will work?

It says "Play voice DURING phone calls", not AS calls...

ofcork wrote: »
    I have a 12 avensis and like the op couldnt get the voice through the speakers for google maps.

Tried it again earlier also have a M8 and still didn't work.

never got an opportunity to test an iphone, but i might if i can't get this working :)

After https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204242
    HFP Prompts

When supported by your car, hands-free profile (HFP) allows navigation prompts to play through your car speakers when iPhone is not selected as the audio source. With Allow HFP Prompts turned on, you can have your car stereo sourced to a non-Bluetooth input such as your car stereo or satellite but still receive turn-by-turn directions from your iPhone or iPad through your car stereo speakers.

The HFP feature depends on your car stereo and your iPhone or iPad needs to have iOS 7. 1 or later. If you don't see the HFP setting when your iPhone is connected to your stereo, check with your stereo manufacturer.

On Android nothing is simple and straigh-forward...

XDA has some posts on the topic:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2123493

-- edit

Or one could try and disable A2DP profile completely. This should force all audio over the phone profile and should get desired effect... I'm going to test it tomorrow...

On Android nothing is simple and straigh-forward...

XDA has some posts on the topic:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2123493

-- edit

Or one could try and disable A2DP profile completely. This should force all audio over the phone profile and should get desired effect... I'm going to test it tomorrow...

Reporting back:
    • Disabling media audio profile does not work for me - sound is played on the phone itself, not through the phone audio profile.
    • AudioBT does give promising results, but plus version and xposed/root will be required to have it fully functional. Currently the first second of the message does not make it to audio...

By the looks of it, it seems it is the limitation of the google maps app, not the OS itself. One can try Here maps, Weze and Sygic to see if they produce better results.

I tried AudioBT very briefly this morning and it seems to work. Like grogi though, the first part of the directions from Google Maps is missing. Still, at least it's progress.

Just googled there and a solution is to uncheck the media audio option in the bluetooth setting on the phone but you cant play music through the car then,going to try this later. and report back.

• Advertisement

Just googled there and a solution is to uncheck the media audio option in the bluetooth setting on the phone but you cant play music through the car then,going to try this later. and report back.

It is not. Tried that one as well ;)
    From https://support.google.com/gmm/answer/6145865?co=GENIE.Platform%3DAndroid&hl=en

Note: If your car supports Bluetooth phone calls but not Bluetooth media, you can only listen to voice navigation through your phone speakers. To listen to voice navigation through your phone speakers, open the Google Maps app maps> Settings > Navigation settings and uncheck the box next to "Play voice over Bluetooth."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,707 ✭✭✭corks finest

Reporting back:
    • Disabling media audio profile does not work for me - sound is played on the phone itself, not through the phone audio profile.
    • AudioBT does give promising results, but plus version and xposed/root will be required to have it fully functional. Currently the first second of the message does not make it to audio...

By the looks of it, it seems it is the limitation of the google maps app, not the OS itself. One can try Here maps, Weze and Sygic to see if they produce better results.
    On my old windows phone,here maps played no problem, Android no joy

Tried it again today and no joy.

Tried it again today and no joy.

Sygic has an option to play messages as BT Call...

Advertisement