Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Least show and most go,what options?

• 18-02-2016 12:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭

Time to finally retire the 1992 Saab turbo I've been driving for lots of years.It's a great car and cutting edge in its day. I'm fairly out of touch with what's on offer these days but ideally looking for something mid range up to 2L petrol,what ever about the fancy new diesel engines I'll always be a petrol head.

Most important is that it looks as sedate,sensible and unexciting as possible,but with great performance.I've been saving so can spend a bit,the new Jag XF came to mind and seems great but too show-ey.Can stretch to €40k.Something this level of quality would be ideal,but again it's got to be understated.Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

BMW 335i perhaps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

how about the new bmw 330e, E41k, 0-100 in 6.1, E7500 total in SEAI grant and revenue VRT rebate, E170 motor tax... 252bhp, 420 nm torque, 2L petrol turbo engine + 88bhp electric motor.

There is already a thread on this forum about this car, if you are interested op...

http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/motors/first-drive-bmw-s-new-plug-in-hybrids-in-3-series-and-2-series-1.2515168

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Owldshtok

Wow, hybrid motor never considered it,that has me thinking.
    Is there something similar with a less prestige badge?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,431 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Owldshtok wrote: »
    Wow, hybrid motor never considered it,that has me thinking.
    Is there something similar with a less prestige badge?

Lexus GS450H might be another good hybrid option, €750 a year motor tax from 2008 onwards 0-60 mph in 5.2 seconds.

About €13k-€16k for the 2008's...
    http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=search&maxrows=100&MakeID=16&xMakeID=16&ModelID=1598&xModelID=1598&Year=2008&xYear=2008&submit=Find+cars+%3E%3E&make=Lexus&model=GS450H

Here's a 2012 model for €39k and €390 motor tax..
    http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/Lexus/GS450H/F-SPORT/200914521740770230/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Lexus GS450H might be another good hybrid option, €750 a year motor tax from 2008 onwards 0-60 mph in 5.2 seconds.

About €13k-€16k for the 2008's...
    http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=search&maxrows=100&MakeID=16&xMakeID=16&ModelID=1598&xModelID=1598&Year=2008&xYear=2008&submit=Find+cars+%3E%3E&make=Lexus&model=GS450H

Here's a 2012 model for €39k and €390 motor tax..
    http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/Lexus/GS450H/F-SPORT/200914521740770230/

The GS450h is pretty much the King of the sleepers. Very few people realise that they're looking at a 345bhp car. It's probably the least shouty car in the performance bracket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Notch000

The GS450h is pretty much the King of the sleepers. Very few people realise that they're looking at a 345bhp car. It's probably the least shouty car in the performance bracket.

they weigh about the same as an Africa elephant too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

they weigh about the same as an Africa elephant too

0-100 in 5.2 according to the stats, the new 330e will do it in 6.1. So not even a second in it, Id be taking the new bm every time...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Notch000

Idbatterim wrote: »
    0-100 in 5.2 according to the stats, the new 330e will do it in 6.1. So not even a second in it, Id be taking the new bm every time...

ok il give ya that one, that's V quick !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Idbatterim wrote: »

especially if you want to go around bends

colm_mcm wrote: »
    especially if you want to go around bends

How's the BMW though. I don't have a clue. You'd expect the BMW to be better in corners and I know the Lexus is excellent in a straight line, but the BMW is carry around a weight of batteries too. It's not something that they've much experience in. It's a smaller class car and there's only a difference of 100kg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

And nobody would think you are a complete wanker in the lexus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Forester turbo? In silver, for ultimate "nothing to see here garda/racers, just a family wagon"

you'd need the 04/05 2.5 version for king of the sleepers GS450H style 0-60.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,293 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

And nobody would think you are a complete wanker in the lexus

tumblr_inline_naiw66eK6Z1rssoy1.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,999 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I remember being in an old Volvo V70 T5R in the 90s.

Like a hearse but went like sh*t off a shovel.
    https://www.donedeal.co.uk/cars-for-sale/volvo-850-t-5-2-3-turbo-estate-1997-deposit-taken/11424078

Any of the Volvo T5 cars are fast and quite normal looking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭bodonnell

+ 1 on the Subaru forester, the 2.5T petrol was available up to '07. There is a 2 ltr turbo (241 bhp) available in the uk, think they were available from '13.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭aerofoiled

Time to finally retire the 1992 Saab turbo I've been driving for lots of years.It's a great car and cutting edge in its day.

When you say retire, is is ready for the scrapheap or is still a runner? Maybe you're hanging on to it but let me know if you are moving it on.

Sorry for cluttering your thread - good luck with the replacement!

aerofoiled wrote: »
    When you say retire, is is ready for the scrapheap or is still a runner? Maybe you're hanging on to it but let me know if you are moving it on.

Sorry for cluttering your thread - good luck with the replacement!

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.Would be hard to part with after owning it for so long not sure what I'll do yet.
    This will be the first and only new car I will ever buy.
    I couldn't help visiting the Jaguar showroom and great car and all as it might be,after seeing it in the flesh the itch is scratched and gone away.
    But the Subaru Forrester was a great suggestion as the SUV got me thinking of a Porsche Ceyenne and after logging onto Porsche's website there is the car I want, that I didn't know existed till now.
    The Porsche Macan! It's compactness is like the old Saab in a way but 21st century.Problem now is getting hold of one,apparently they are hard to get,and I don't know how much extra it will cost.

Looking forward to your thoughts about this car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

A Porsche Macan is somewhat removed from "least show and most go", surely? Seems completely at odds with what your original request was and they also appear to be approximately twice your budget.

Yes that's the first consideration and I know where you're coming from ,but on the other hand it's go a tame enough exterior on video
    http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkzU0_V0v6I

Looking around while in this shopping for a car mode,nearly every shoebox of a car has some sort of sporty lines in its design these days.This Macan from a computer screen at least, does not seem to stick out too much.When the Cayenne first appeared someone had to tell me it was a Porsche before I noticed.

• Advertisement

Looking around while in this shopping for a car mode,nearly every shoebox of a car has some sort of sporty lines in its design these days.This Macan from a computer screen at least, does not seem to stick out too much.When the Cayenne first appeared someone had to tell me it was a Porsche before I noticed.

The cayenne was probably the most brash car you could buy when it launched. The thing screamed for attention. The Macan isn't as bad, but there's no way you could call it a sleeper. Pass one everyday and it just sticks out a mile. A Porsche is never ever going to be discreet in this country. Even if it's a daysul .... Which is just wrong to me anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭bodonnell

'Litchfield' importers in the uk had tuning packs for the subaru 2 & 2.5 petrol engines, some 'Sti' Foresters were imported & upgraded to 300 or 330 bhp. Even with some obvious sti extras not too many would know it I think. Have a look on Pistonheads.com.

Okay there isn't the fiscal space :rolleyes: for the Macan but if there was it looks like the one thing I would break the sleeper requirement for.It sounds perverse,but I honestly think it wouldn't get too much notice if the badge was removed and the alloys swapped out (perhaps a damaged repairable,but that would be snapped up)I can't wait to spot one.
    The Forester 2.0i with tuning kit is being considered.The practicality of this car gives it bonus points.I'm wondering how it handles bearing in mind the height,and is it relatively light in comparison to say the Lexus mentioned earlier.I'll go read a few reviews..
    Any suggestions close in dimensions to the old Saab or the Macan let me know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

The Forester 2.0i with tuning kit is being considered.The practicality of this car gives it bonus points.I'm wondering how it handles bearing in mind the height,and is it relatively light in comparison to say the Lexus mentioned earlier.I'll go read a few reviews..
    Any suggestions close in dimensions to the old Saab or the Macan let me know.

A friend of mine has a Forester 2.5T petrol. He's on boards so ill point him to this thread and he should be able to answer some of your questions regarding handling etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

A friend of mine has a Forester 2.5T petrol. He's on boards so ill point him to this thread and he should be able to answer some of your questions regarding handling etc.

That's me.
    It's a 06 2.5XT 230BHP
    Does 0-60 in 5.9, AWD means it'll do that pretty much most of the time even on wet days I've embarrassed many a boy racer/premier car driver over the years.

However, it goes around corners like a skip on rails, the hold design of the bucket seats is terrible so you get thrown against the door or handbrake if you over cook a corner. Heavy braking can be a bit wobbly as well with the height/weight. I imagine lowering the suspension would make a world of difference but it creeps into the boy racer look then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭Staph

I've a 2.5XT '08, and I find it sticks to the corners. I agree with sparrowcars points, but compared to other SUV type vehicles the Forester has a lower centre of gravity due to the boxer engine arrangement and general lower height. All in, it's practical and can go when you need it to.

Advertisement