Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spectrum Vega +

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Im undecided about this, dont think it will be any better than another emulated handheld.
    Heres your fixed link

• Registered Users Posts: 8,853 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Hmm, let me see
    • £75 sterling extra to get it in black(and a boring factory tour), and they are only doing 40 of them.
    • On indiegogo and not kickstarter(probably because they don't have a displayable prototype that kickstarter now requires).
    • Only speccy games, no other emu's.
    • No real product shown, only renders.
    • Dat D-Pad!!
    It's like a how-to for failing :0/
    If they changed the D-Pad, got rid of that stupid extra 75 for black and opened up the software to allow other software to run I'd consider it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Is it based on android, or some other form of emulation?

Myrddin wrote: »
    Is it based on android, or some other form of emulation?

I don't think they've released any tech specs whatsoever on it.

It's a gimme ur money, we'll tell ya later kind of thing.
    And with indiegogo they take the funds right away, not like kickstarter where you can cancel before the project ends if it starts to look dodgy or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Ya Indiegogo is a big gamble with its 'flexible funding' model. You have no guarantees or comeback if it fails miserably.
    Presume is an ARM board (could be a PI Zero :) ) in there running an emulator alright.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

A Spectrum emu running on a PI Zero running inside a Competition Pro stick, that would be the perfect way to present a Spectrum, a bit like, if not exactly like, the C64 plug and play.
    I'm not sure what the desire to see these things on an LCD of any size is, unless there is post processing with blur and scanlines all over the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

They have raised almost quarter of a million already in less than a week!! Maybe it's the rose tinted glasses i'm wearing but I'm thinking of backing it.

I would really need to know more of the tech specs involved. They are a bit sketchy on the detail.

No thanks, still light on detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

There guts it it will presumably be the same as a Vega (the hint is in the name!), which is based on a 433MHz CPU with an emphasis on emulating worts and all.

I've put money into this. The one difference between this and say a PSP running an emulator is this has Sinclair written on it, and is backed by Clive Sinclair. It's an official product, or as close as you're going to get. I think it probably appreciate in value, possibly more so for the limit run versions.

Steve X2 wrote: »
    [*]£75 sterling extra to get it in black(and a boring factory tour), and they are only doing 40 of them.

In black, without the tour, it's £100, the same as the other colours.

• Advertisement

n97 mini wrote: »
    The one difference between this and say a PSP running an emulator is this has Sinclair written on it, and is backed by Clive Sinclair. It's an official product, or as close as you're going to get.

Official it may be, but not bespoke. The moment I see emulation I lose interest, though to be fair, the costs of r&d'ing bespoke hardware would likely be astronomical.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,322 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

how well does a Speccy emulator work on a PSP?

Official it may be, but not bespoke. The moment I see emulation I lose interest, though to be fair, the costs of r&d'ing bespoke hardware would likely be astronomical.

The main reason I bought it is I expect (hope!) it will appreciate due to it having Sinclair on it.

I had a SAM Coupe from 1990 to 1994 when I sold it for £80 (punts). My set up (I had a lot of extras) is going for over £1000 sterling now on ebay.co.uk, so like the man who lifts a cat by the tail I've learned a lesson that can be learned no other way!

I'm sure it will jump in value just like the Neo Geo X :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

n97 mini wrote: »
    The main reason I bought it is I expect (hope!) it will appreciate due to it having Sinclair on it.

I had a SAM Coupe from 1990 to 1994 when I sold it for £80 (punts). My set up (I had a lot of extras) is going for over £1000 sterling now on ebay.co.uk, so like the man who lifts a cat by the tail I've learned a lesson that can be learned no other way!

Be sure to post back here in 20+ years and let us know how much they're worth. :)

Seriously though, 100 sterling + shipping for that yoke with no safety net if/when it goes belly up? Yikes.

Boris Johnson is helping the exchange rate go the right way :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Edward Hopper

eddhorse wrote: »
    No thanks, still light on detail.

Bit more detail released.

https://twitter.com/YourSinclair/status/703177014757359616

ZX Spectrum Next is the er...next...new spectrum computer kickstarter on it's way. I may be getting involved in this one though.

Firefox11 wrote: »
    ZX Spectrum Next is the er...next...new spectrum computer kickstarter on it's way. I may be getting involved in this one though.

I remember not hearing good things, is it not just an emulator? Will look into that vid later

Edit : watched vid, may not be emulated. Maybe was one of the many other retro remakes.
    Hard to trust any of them without seeing them in the flesh after the Chameleon debacle.

Ed's 2c

eddhorse wrote: »
    I remember not hearing good things, is it not just an emulator? Will look into that vid later

Apparently not. Apparently the Z80 core is being simulated directly through the FPGA with a Pi Zero as slave board for the HDMI....Hmmmm....

There is a video of the prototype running.

• Advertisement

Ya it pretty clever really, he written firmware for the GPU (ARM core not used) that scrapes the video ram via GPIO and generates the HDMI signal. Its PI hardware but definitely not a raspberry pi as we know it.

There is a good interview here about the spectrum next. I have to say (as a speccy nut) i'm a little excited about this one.

http://www.flickeringmyth.com/2016/05/interview-henrique-olifiers-talks-about-the-zx-spectrum-next/

Is anyone else really tired of all these nostalgia cash ins? They seem to go from one scandal to the next

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Is anyone else really tired of all these nostalgia cash ins? They seem to go from one scandal to the next

Yeah.
    Except for Bandits adaptors.
    They're cool.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Yeah.
    Except for Bandits adaptors.
    They're cool.

Hmm, maybe I should do a flashy kickstarter... and buy a yacht...

Hmm, maybe I should do a flashy kickstarter... and buy a yacht...

Make sure to stick them in clear acrylic. That increases the price x2 :)

There is an increasing number of disgruntled backers looking for updates on the indiegogo site.

The first units are due to ship to backers sometime in September but they have only shown some 3D Printed Mockups of the case so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I don't get the whole retro handheld console thing at the moment. Saw The 64 Handheld Indiegogo and I've no idea why someone that way inclined wouldn't just pick up a GPD XD.

• Advertisement

Firefox11 wrote: »
    There is an increasing number of disgruntled backers looking for updates on the indiegogo site.

The first units are due to ship to backers sometime in September but they have only shown some 3D Printed Mockups of the case so far.

I assumed thats why they didn't go to Kickstarter, you need to provide a working prototype of some sort there. Although plenty of dodgy crap on there anyway.

Advertisement