Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Royal Canal commuting

Options
  • 07-02-2016 10:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,055 ✭✭✭

I've read a few of the threads here about the canal, but they focus mostly on the condition of the track and surface on the outer sections (relative to Dublin city centre).

Does anyone commute regularly along the route, and if so, what's it like for anti-social behaviour, hassle with kissing gates, etc?

I'm coming in from Ashtown to Amiens St. I'm wondering if I'll be running the gauntlet at Broombridge, or avoiding junkies in Summerhill? Is it particularly bad on summer evenings, or is there no hassle if you just pedal on by? Am I better off just taking the N3 and the NCR?

Any advice appreciated! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Radial

That was my route for 3 years, I've recently moved office.

I travelled from Rathborne, near Ashtown into Sean McDermott St.

I joined the canal at the Crescent Park (near Rathborne), entering at the gate where the playground is, and then through the kissing gate onto the canal itself. You don't need to get off the bike to negotiate this.

You do need to dismount twice on the way into Phibsboro, before leaving the canal path at Des Kelly. I didn't bother with the canal path from there to Dorset St, the 2 kissing gates meant that just travelling down Whitworth Rd was a lot easier. You get the lights here which means that for most of the cycle down Whitworth Rd if your moving at a pace it's virtually car free. I rejoined the canal path at Dorset St and travelled down to Charleville Mall, leaving the canal path there, travelling up Dunne St, onto Seville Place. A short distance from here to Amiens St.

On the journey home I didn't bother with the Charleville Mall to Dorset St stretch, travelling down the NCR, up Whitworth Rd and joining the canal at Des Kelly's.

The reason for this was that there was some ASB at this stretch in the evening, particularly during dark winter nights. No bother with Broombridge or anywhere else on the canal, even at night. Sometimes you get a few lads drinking cans, but they never seem to bother cyclists or walkers. They get out of your way and I never had any bother with them.

Hope this helps.

That was my route for 3 years, I've recently moved office.

I travelled from Rathborne, near Ashtown into Sean McDermott St.

I joined the canal at the Crescent Park (near Rathborne), entering at the gate where the playground is, and then through the kissing gate onto the canal itself. You don't need to get off the bike to negotiate this.

You do need to dismount twice on the way into Phibsboro, before leaving the canal path at Des Kelly. I didn't bother with the canal path from there to Dorset St, the 2 kissing gates meant that just travelling down Whitworth Rd was a lot easier. You get the lights here which means that for most of the cycle down Whitworth Rd if your moving at a pace it's virtually car free. I rejoined the canal path at Dorset St and travelled down to Charleville Mall, leaving the canal path there, travelling up Dunne St, onto Seville Place. A short distance from here to Amiens St.

On the journey home I didn't bother with the Charleville Mall to Dorset St stretch, travelling down the NCR, up Whitworth Rd and joining the canal at Des Kelly's.

The reason for this was that there was some ASB at this stretch in the evening, particularly during dark winter nights. No bother with Broombridge or anywhere else on the canal, even at night. Sometimes you get a few lads drinking cans, but they never seem to bother cyclists or walkers. They get out of your way and I never had any bother with them.

Hope this helps.

Also meant to say that the canal first thing in the morning is a pleasure, just as quick as any alternative route and often gives me a feel good feeling to kick start the day.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Mostly fine, a handful of kissing gates between ashtown and phibs. At phibs, you're better off going down Whitworth road.

There are 2 annoying speed bumps on approach to phibs too, but they have been reconfigured. It was me trying to be smart and avoiding these that sent me into the canal!

You can get back onto the canal before Croker in Drumcondra, but watch out for dog mess.

Also there'll be nesting swans soon, there was one near broombridge so be careful of that

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Mec-a-nic

Radial wrote: »
    Also meant to say that the canal first thing in the morning is a pleasure,..

This. I've used other stretches of canals to commute also - and there's an amazing absence of anti-social anything in the morning - I guess they're still sleeping?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,055 ✭✭✭buffalo

Thanks for the posts all, sounds like the canal is my route from Ashtown to Des Kelly's at the top of Whitworth, then probably road from there I think.
    Weepsie wrote: »
    There are 2 annoying speed bumps on approach to phibs too, but they have been reconfigured. It was me trying to be smart and avoiding these that sent me into the canal!

So ending up in the canal is a real possibility, good to know!
    Weepsie wrote: »
    You can get back onto the canal before Croker in Drumcondra, but watch out for dog mess.

I've walked in along that stretch, it's dire!

One last question - what's the lighting like? I have strong enough lights for night-time commuting, but I'd prefer if it was lit for the most part all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

IMO the stretch of canal from Des Kellys to Dorset St is some of the nicest if you're taking the route from Ashtown into the city.

Whitworth road is horrible, the road has a lot of speed bumps and there are lots of buses and other vehicles on the road.

The locks on this stretch of the canal are really nice too.

Dorset St to the strand is horrible and unsightly, but you'll get no bother either however depending if I'm going into the city at the strand or right towards Ballybough I'll get off at Dorset street and either take the NCR or left for Clonliffe Ave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I used to do it in the mornings. Coolmine to IFSC. Nice cycle in the summer anyway.

Canal has been a pleasure so far, and emerging at Des Kelly's to head down Whitworth has a bit of "leaving Narnia" effect.

Particularly when arseholes pull out in front of you from side roads, and then give a "ah sure what can I do?" gesture after you've hit the brakes to avoid slamming into and over their bonnet.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 CAstudent

Anyone still doing this route? I'd be coming from Ashtown and not sure if the ASB on the canal is an issue during commuting times.

• Advertisement

CAstudent wrote: »
    Anyone still doing this route? I'd be coming from Ashtown and not sure if the ASB on the canal is an issue during commuting times.

Yep.

Route in is currently this: https://goo.gl/maps/WM8PLBRXYAk (ignore the big loop at Harte's Corner, there's a ped crossing there)

Route home is this: https://goo.gl/maps/ZByF4Ha3iDK2

There's a few little shortcuts in there, along pseudo-quietways.

ASB on the canal isn't bad at all. During the hot weather there was often a big gang at the locks on Whitworth Road, and once I had an empty plastic bottle thrown at my back, that was the worst of it.

Occasionally you meet lads on mopeds, and I'd be cautious around Broombridge depending on the weather and time of day and year (term time). Sometimes I'd take the N2 and cut through the Glasnevin industrial estate: https://goo.gl/maps/2erHmzSNbPR2

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Do you take the Drumcondra or city side of the canal from Cross Gunns to Binns bridge?

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭patob

Do you take the Drumcondra or city side of the canal from Cross Gunns to Binns bridge?

City side i.e. Mountjoy Prison side, pleasant cycle, only need to dismount at barrier near Cross Guns, no bad experiences with ASB even in the sunny spell.

patob wrote: »
    City side i.e. Mountjoy Prison side, pleasant cycle, only need to dismount at barrier near Cross Guns, no bad experiences with ASB even in the sunny spell.

+1 The barrier near Cross Guns onto Royal Canal Bank has a little gap too, so you can wheel your bike through unless it's very wide.

Advertisement