Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CAO Questions 2016.

Options
  • 05-01-2016 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hi guys

I'm in the process of applying through the CAO for nursing/midwifery courses. Its says that secions 1-11 of the mature applicant section don't need to be filled in if you are a mature student applying as mentioned above. Just checking that I'm reading this correctly?

Also can anyone advise on what supporting documents I need to send in?

Thanks a mil

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Hi OP. I dont think you need to send in any documentation as they only thing that counts with determining the mature student places is the aptitude and suitability tests in April. But you could check with CAO?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 TanD

paperclip2 wrote: »
    Hi OP. I dont think you need to send in any documentation as they only thing that counts with determining the mature student places is the aptitude and suitability tests in April. But you could check with CAO?

Hi paperclip

Thanks so much for your reply,I have checked and you're right it all relies on the test! 😬

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭GeneralC

I am applying as a mature student. I already hold a degree. Do I need to submit proof/documentation to the CAO for this? I can't seem to get a definite answer.

Thanks,

Yes, You should submit a copy of your qualification with your postal documents.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭alltacht

Hi everyone,
    I'm a bit confused at the moment about the CAO Statement of Interest.
    I am applying as a mature student to a course that is only available in one university in Ireland, has very specific entry requirements and needs a highly tailored personal statement.
    Now considering there are only a handful of mature spaces on this course in the whole country, I am also putting down a backup course in a more general subject that I even have the points for (did my leaving cert in 2006) and would be an easier personal statement to write.

So on my CAO application, should my Statement of Interest just be something general? When I post them my supporting documents do I just put two separate envelopes for each college including more tailored personal statements?

I see that the CAO statement is only 1500 characters. I think my Personal Statement to send to the university will need to be longer (nothing crazy but enough to cover all the bases I feel I need to cover!)

Just a bit confused as I don't want the course I have my heart set on to think my CAO statement isn't relevant enough to their course!

• Advertisement

You can only submit one Statement of Interest. If you know it will be longer that the 1500 characters you can type it and send it with your supporting documentation. I wouldn't go overboard through. Dont send pages. Sick to abuott a page max.

I'd think about focusing the statemenet more toward your first choice course. If you meet the Leaving cert points and subject requirements for your second choice that might be enough to get that place for you. (Check with admissions that your exisiting LC and subjects are still relevant though).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Hey guys does this apply to all mature students or just nursing??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

I asked this in another thread, just thought I could word it clearer

Ok I set up my CAO application and picked what I thought I needed to apply as a mature student.
    So selected Leaving Cert, Further Education, 3rd Level and Mature.
    So I think I should have only selected Mature and left the rest blank so I would be judged as a mature student, the thing is, will I now be judged on other merits rather than just mature student.
    Should I start a new application instead of that one with just mature student selected?

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭robjones1981

If you completed your LC, Further Education and studied at 3rd level - you select all three - as well as Mature - if you are a mature applicant

@ Astonaiden:
    Just nursing. Most other courses require mature students to complete the full ms application and submit the relevant docs. Some of the private colleges have a different application process for students. Theres a list of these on page 7 of the CAO handbook. Also Mature students applying to Trinity, Mary Immaculate College and Marino Institute of Education have to apply through CAO and also directly to these colleges.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Omega28

Just to confirm something here. If one is applying as a mature student and has completed the LC, PLC course and a third-level degree they submit all documents to each individual college along with a personal statement?

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭ScottStorm

Hi guy's

I am applying for a number of computer science type courses as a mature student and was wondering where to reference professional certifications? I ask as they don't fit under the national framework of qualifications but would have a relevance for the courses I have applied for.

ScottStorm wrote: »
    Hi guy's

I am applying for a number of computer science type courses as a mature student and was wondering where to reference professional certifications? I ask as they don't fit under the national framework of qualifications but would have a relevance for the courses I have applied for.

You can put them in the section 'Further Education (other than QQI FET/ FETAC level5/6 and NCVA level 2/3)'

Page 6 of the CAO handbook gives a description of what is covered under this heading and it looks the best bet for your qualifications.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Uggs123

Hi all,
    Im looking for some help on applying as a mature student for nursing and physiotherapy. Do I need to submit a personal statement on my CAO application for both courses?

Uggs123 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Im looking for some help on applying as a mature student for nursing and physiotherapy. Do I need to submit a personal statement on my CAO application for both courses?

Not for nusing as nursing places are decided on the results of the mature student aptitutde and suitability tests. But you do for physio.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭BeansandToast

Hi everyone, just to reiterate what was asked already, it is ok to send in a hard copy of my personal statement? I have been editing and editing, but now it feels like its completely lost its "personal" aspect, and I still go over the limit.

I'm applying for mature entry medicine if that is of any help.

Also, I briefly updated my qualifications and it submitted to the CAO. Does this count as my submission, and now I have to send all my documents in within 7 days? I had planned on submitting on the 1st of Feb, and then submitting my documents.

Thanks again, any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Best of luck to everyone!

You can send a hard copy of your statement but try to keep it condensed, i.e dont write pages, 2/3rds of a page is fine.

Regarding your submission to CAO, once you create an account and start to fill in details of your staus, qualifications, categories of application, this updates on the CAO server as soon as you log-out. So if you have completed any parts of your application, you have applied to CAO as soon as you logged out of that session.

You can add and amend info up until the 1st Feb but the 7 day clock starts as soon as you logged out. However CAO can give an extension on the 7 days at their discretion. Usually as long as your info is with them by the 1st there wont be a problem but in case this has changed you can email them to ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭alltacht

I had the same issue as you BeansandToast, I thought you could just keep editing it and it would submit on Feb 1st. I rang the CAO this morning, she said that my application had been submitted on the 20th or so and to send in my supporting documents as soon as I can. She said that they have so many applications to process that I shouldn't panic, but to send them ASAP anyway. I asked her if the week of Feb 1st-7th was okay and she said technically that is fine.
    I also wrote 'refer to supplementary documentation' on the CAO personal statement and C.V fields. My own personal statement is 2 pages long including paragraph breaks. I noted on the 'Tips for Mature Students' thread that some people had been successful with letters of this length.
    So get your documents in as soon as you can and best of luck with your application!

The mature student application route was changed in the last 2 years especially regarding the statement of interest section.
    In the past you had a max of 4000 characters on your online section, that was reduced to 1500 characters as the colleges were looking for more conscise statements. This is why its advised not to make your posted statements too long.

I just want to confirm two things. 1. Do I have up to 7 days after I submit my online application? 2. Does it matter what order my course choices are like a LC student applying? I'll be applying on the grounds of a mature student.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭BeansandToast

I sent an email regarding my query last night and they rang me this morning. I explained how busy I am with work this time of year, most of my days are 08.00 - 18.30. They said submission is fine once before Feb 1st, and documents before Feb 7th.

You can send in a hard copy no problem, just make sure to mention it in the statement section.

I also managed to get an answer about the length, and while they she said you can over the limit no problem, be careful how much you go by. They reconfirmed what Paperclip said about the length. The length was reduced to 1500 characters for a reason. I wouldn't go over a page and a half. The people reviewing this won't be looking at this for too long, so ease of writing in a succinct matter is a big thing I would imagine.

I'll be posting in my CV as well even though I've filled out the work exp/ voluntary fields.

Again, best of luck to everyone applying

Omega28 wrote: »
    I just want to confirm two things. 1. Do I have up to 7 days after I submit my online application? 2. Does it matter what order my course choices are like a LC student applying? I'll be applying on the grounds of a mature student.

You have 7 days from the first time you log out of the CAO system as that automatically counts as a submission. Every time you log in and change stuff on your application it updates it on the CAO server but essentially you have submitted your application the first time you fill out any info on the online application.

As far as I know you do need to list in order of preference. E.g. if two colleges offer you a place on level 8 degree courses then CAO will only send you the offer on the highest ranked of your choices.

paperclip2 wrote: »
    You have 7 days from the first time you log out of the CAO system as that automatically counts as a submission. Every time you log in and change stuff on your application it updates it on the CAO server but essentially you have submitted your application the first time you fill out any info on the online application.

As far as I know you do need to list in order of preference. E.g. if two colleges offer you a place on level 8 degree courses then CAO will only send you the offer on the highest ranked of your choices.

I set up an account approx. 3 weeks and have made many changes. I still have yet to submit the application online or post my documents. So, are you saying I had to submit my documents 7 days after I set the account up 3 weeks ago?

Omega28 wrote: »
    I set up an account approx. 3 weeks and have made many changes. I still have yet to submit the application online or post my documents. So, are you saying I had to submit my documents 7 days after I set the account up 3 weeks ago?

Every time you log out of your account it updates your information with CAO. There is no final submission, effectively you are refining your submitted application every time you login and change/ add stuff.

I had a quick look through the CAO book and under the new procedures it now gives you 10 days (up from the 7) to get your docs to CAO, (pg.12)

On page 8 it says that once you complete a section of the form you send the required documentation to CAO. What I'd take from that is that if you fill in a section that needs supporting docs to be sent then you have 10 days to get them in. But dont panic. Ring/email CAO. I have seen them give extensions and to be honest if the docs are going to be in by the the 1st you should be ok. I would clarify that with them first though.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭wehuntmonsters

Okay so I am getting worried now that I have read this thread. I applied to the CAo around Jan 5th as a PLC Level 5 student. It doesn't say I need any documentation but I was wondering if anyone else had to send in papers?

Also wehn I log out does that mean my application is submitted?

Okay so I am getting worried now that I have read this thread. I applied to the CAO around Jan 5th as a PLC Level 5 student. It doesn't say I need any documentation but I was wondering if anyone else had to send in papers?

Also when I log out does that mean my application is submitted?

Hi,

If you are only applying as a PLC student then no, you dont need to send any documentation as long as you indicated on the form that you are a QQI FET PLC student and you included your PPS number in the relevant section. This means CAO and the colleges will look at you as a standard code applicant, just like leaving cert students and they will base any course offers solely on your PLC results.

Yes, once you log out your application is with CAO but you can keep changing it up to 5.15 on the 1st of Feb. CAO will only take information from it at that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭wehuntmonsters

Thanks very much for clearing that up. Nearly lost my mind for a second there.

Sending all my documents by express post:

Personal Statement to relevant Uni's
    CV
    References
    CAO Personal Statement
    Degree Supplement

Anything else I may need?

Sending all my documents by express post:

Personal Statement to relevant Uni's
    CV
    References
    CAO Personal Statement
    Degree Supplement

Anything else I may need?

• Advertisement

How many personal statements are you sending? CAO and the Unis should get the same one.

Advertisement