Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Driving in France

• 02-01-2016 10:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,341 ✭✭✭

I'm going to EuroDisney in March and since my two kids (under 4) insist on coming with me, I'm going to pack my trusty estate to the gills, sail to Cherbourg and drive to Disney from there.

My car is a 2004 Peugeot 307 estate and while it works as a runabout and is regularly serviced, I'm a little worried about it's reliability when I'm abroad (read: I'm waiting for the day it explodes). I priced travel insurance with the AA for a week and it's just shy of €200.

Is it worth getting insurance for the trip, are AA any good or can anyone recommend anyone else? Also any other tips would be appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

We have used Road Rescue for breakdown assistance in the past, but the last couple of years we just used the breakdown assistance with Irish Ferries. A hell of a lot cheaper than AA, luckily never had to use them while abroad, but I'd prefer to have insurance and breakdown cover rather than not have it and need it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 59 ✭✭pea be

Google for European Breakdown cover, or look at money savings expert .com.

We are in northern Ireland, and had breakdown cover in France.

Different companies offer different cover ... Some companies limits on the number of passengers (ie not cover 7 seaters), and others had a maximum age they would cover (10 years old) etc etc.

Your own attitude to risk well determine what your car is worth so you may only want to make sure you are covered to get towed from the motorway (not sure what this would cost in France), you might not be worried about getting it fixed or repatriated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Uncle Ben

I've driven on the continent a fair number of times and mostly use the insurance company of the carrier as it is normally cheaper.
    It is however advisable to read the small print as I recall conditions being laid down for example, that the car has been regularly serviced according to manufacturers terms and conditions and proof of same could be required if insurance was drawn down and secondly I think cars over 10 or 15 years may require additiinal premium due to age.

Get a good service prior to going. Take your time on the motorways and you should be grand. Enjoy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,245 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

In fairness you're only driving a distance of 250 miles from Cherbourg ( and the same back).
    If you had to drive to Kerry tomorrow would you be concerned ? If the car is driving fine before you leave it should be perfectly OK for a trip there and back.

My son did a trip in his 2003 C5 a year ago through France, Switzerland, Italy, back through France (via Spain) without a hitch....or any roadside rescue, etc.
    He did a return trip last September via Cherbourg to the Nurburgring (15 laps) in a Beemer 530D and took out Insurance as he figured it would be harder on the car ;).
    If you're concerned find the cheapest 'get your car home' policy you can find just for peace of mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,341 ✭✭✭markpb

Uncle Ben wrote:
    It is however advisable to read the small print as I recall conditions being laid down for example, that the car has been regularly serviced according to manufacturers terms and conditions

Thanks all four your help. I can't use the Irish ferries insurance because they won't cover cars over ten years old. I looked into Road Rescue but they have the condition that Uncle Ben mentioned. The car is serviced by a local garage every 12,000km but only since I bought it two years ago. I guess a call to RR might be in order to see if that would suffice.

I'm not too worried about the car, it's more the disruption to the holiday that concerns me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,407 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

In March the temperture should be at best the same as an Irish summer or less in heat terms. If you have confidence in the car now I wouldn't worry about it driving abroad. Has the car let you down in the last 5 years, if not no reason why it should give up now. If the battery is 5 years or so old I would replace it, I would have the car services a couple of weeks before departure and go with that. There's so many terms and conditions with these breakdown covers that you would be better off avoiding.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 DaveHumphreys

Do you have any existing breakdown cover on your car's insurance policy? Some of these could include a certain number of days cover per year in Europe.

Also, read up on what items you are required to have in your car when driving in France, just in case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

OP, I'd be more concerned with carrying the items required by French law (spare bulbs, warning triangles, reflective jacket, etc). The breathalyser I'm not too sure if its actually a requirement. As for the car, try ADAC. It gives European breakdown cover and also works at home. Anyway, sods law says if you have breakdown cover, you wont need it and if you dojt bother with the breakdown cover, you will need it! As for mechanical bits, youve a French car and you'll be in France. Every back street grease monkey will know how to fix it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement