Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New shower mixer head bad pressure

Options
  • 08-12-2015 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭

I installed a new shower mixer etc. gravity feed

Its a Eva T-bar Minimum operating pressure .2 bar

http://www.plumbpal.ie/index.php/bathrooms/showers/shower-valves/product/9650-eva-t-bar-shower-valve-kit

The pressure with the new system is appalling

I tried a few heads All on full pressure to fill a 6 litre pot

New head 160 seconds

Old head 100 seconds

Head off Triton t90 85 seconds

No head 60 seconds

Anybody got any recommendations for increasing pressure or good shower heads.

I want to avoid a pump if possible don't mind paying good money for a super head

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭PK27

If it's sourced from the UK there's a good chance it has a flow restrictor built into the head to comply with water conservation regulations. Take the head off the hose and have a look inside, without flow restrictor it's essentially open, if it has restrictor they're generally black white or green and it's like a cap with small holes in it. If it's in it it'll either flick out easily with small flathead screwdriver or if it's tight screw a screw into it and yank it out with a pliers. They do come out either way.
    Also if it's a thermostatic valve, it will restrict flow somewhat as the cartridge restricts cold flow depending on how much it needs to cool the hot water.
    I'd personally pump it, even with a small pump 1.8 bar would give decent pressure without going overboard, and can be picked up fairly cheap. Failing that, build a platform in the attic and raise the tanks, although I imagine that's not a welcome suggestion!
    The minimum operational pressure they quote is a gimmick, it'll work on .2 bar but you'd spend more time trying to get wet in the shower than anything else

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

PK27 wrote: »
    If it's sourced from the UK there's a good chance it has a flow restrictor built into the head to comply with water conservation regulations. Take the head off the hose and have a look inside, without flow restrictor it's essentially open, if it has restrictor they're generally black white or green and it's like a cap with small holes in it. If it's in it it'll either flick out easily with small flathead screwdriver or if it's tight screw a screw into it and yank it out with a pliers. They do come out either way.
    Also if it's a thermostatic valve, it will restrict flow somewhat as the cartridge restricts cold flow depending on how much it needs to cool the hot water.
    I'd personally pump it, even with a small pump 1.8 bar would give decent pressure without going overboard, and can be picked up fairly cheap. Failing that, build a platform in the attic and raise the tanks, although I imagine that's not a welcome suggestion!
    The minimum operational pressure they quote is a gimmick, it'll work on .2 bar but you'd spend more time trying to get wet in the shower than anything else

Cheers

There was a restrictive piece in it.
    It wasn't removable basically a piece of the body that narrowed to about 7mm from 10mm. That's was drilled out. :D but didn't improve times

most other units have a minimum pressure of 1bar that's why I went for the .2 bar

Yip it's a thermostatic valve, meeting standards to not scold people.
    Even on highest temp setting it mix's a lot of cold water with it

Is there any adjustment in the valves?

Raise the tank. :D Its already up about a foot. anyway I'd rather put in a pump.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Raising the tank will have no great impact unless you get a few metres extra height.
    Flow rates and pressure rates are two different things, and once the water hits narrower pipe diameters and shower heads both can change dramatically.
    Pumps can make a huge difference to improce both flow and pressure, with increase in qater consumption. Also if you are going for a pump, be aware of pump noise, there is a saying, you pay your money, you get your goods. Good quality brass bodied pumps will always be quieter than plastic versions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Cheaper than a pump. If found the Mira coda pro has fantastic pressure off gravity.

There about 180.

Advertisement