Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fosterers...

• 08-11-2015 7:05pm

...how do you do it?
    I have in my possession a kitten. I found him last week. A tiny, cold, filthy, shivering and soaked possibly feral kitten. I wasn't able to get him to the rescue centre that day as its quite a distance from me. So I took him to my vet in the meantime. He has a little infection and was put on antibiotics. He's probably 8 weeks old. I decided (prompted by vet) that it might not be a bad idea to hang onto him for a week until he finished his antibiotics and so I could build up his strength with some good food etc. so he'll be better able to cope at the sanctuary.
    So already he's like a new cat! Almost unrecognisable. He's also gone from constant attack mode to a purr machine when I hold him. And Ive fallen completely in love with him. Unfortunately for a variety of reasons, not least because my yorkie x hates cats and would try to kill him given half a chance, I just can't keep the little guy and he's due to make the trip to the rescue on Wednesday. I'm absolutely heartbroken. Every time it enters my head I can feel the tears coming. I'm sick over it. How do you fosterers do it? I'm terrified he'll end up in the wrong home. I'm convinced no one will love him as much as I do.
    Surely when you foster animals these feelings are common. How do you cope with them? How do you let go?
    I had considered fostering dogs some time ago. I realise now its not something I'm emotionally strong enough for.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

I dunno, I would be the kind to get very attached to my pets but with fosters I take them on knowing I am doing it to help them and I know it's short-term. I had a foster a few years ago that stayed for 6 months, that one was difficult but she went to a great home and that was the main thing.

I haven't fostered in a while but would happily do it again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,334 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Well there has been posted several examples of dogs who hate cats who makes exception for the new house cat; so it's not unheard of.

As for how you do it; you do it with a big hole in your heart and it does not really get a lot easier over time. We're still in contact with the families for the cats we placed years ago as well which do help.

toadfly wrote: »
    I dunno, I would be the kind to get very attached to my pets but with fosters I take them on knowing I am doing it to help them and I know it's short-term. I had a foster a few years ago that stayed for 6 months, that one was difficult but she went to a great home and that was the main thing.

I haven't fostered in a while but would happily do it again.

I was thinking that way the first day... Telling myself it was short term and I was doing what was best for him, making him strong and healthy and preparing him for his new life. Then a close family member was very interested and I was sure she'd take him and I'd still get to see him all the time and I think I let my walls down then. That fell through today and devastated is an understatement.

Nody wrote: »
    Well there has been posted several examples of dogs who hate cats who makes exception for the new house cat; so it's not unheard of.

^Actually this was the case with my lab x. She was not at all good with cats when I got her. Then my mum got a kitten and I spent about 8 long painstaking months working with her on it. Now she loves cats. She sees them in a whole new light. If this was the only barrier to me keeping the kitten I wouldn't let it stop me and definitely give the yorkie a chance to prove himself!

My heart will broken on Wednesday. I am in total awe of you foster people. I'm amazed you can put yourself through this (and worse since iv only had him a short time) for the love of animals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I've fostered 2 kittens this year, for an animal charity down here in county Cork.

The first case was us actually adopting 2 kittens, out of a litter of 3. The 3rd kitten had an adoption lined up which fell through last minute, so we kept the 3 of them together for about 2 weeks.
    The second case was very short-term, the regular foster parent couldn't keep her, s owe took her in for 3 days.

In both cases, it helped working with the charity, knowing how they would vet anyone looking to adopt and actually meeting the new owners myself so I knew the cats were going to a really good home. :)

I just remembered, we had another foster kitten a few years ago. The kitten had just showed up in our elderly neighbour's garden, who couldn't really look after her. We took her in, got her vaccinated, checked out, neutered, microchipped, the lot. And we then found a good home for her a few weeks later, through some friends. I got to hear about the kitten's progress for quite a while after, as a friend of mine was house-sharing with the person who had adopted her. So I think knowing that they're happy is really a big help in letting go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

How do you let go?

We don't :o

We still have extremely fond and heart-wrenching memories of our last foster, Lindy. She was an incredible saluki cross with the disposition of an angel. You could see the old soul in her eyes. She carried herself like royalty and was a lady in every aspect of her behaviour. Children, dogs, men, women - she was polite to everyone.

She went across to the UK and now lives with her new family, who regularly post photos of her to Facebook under their photography business. She is utterly flourishing, looks ten times more stunning than the scraggly ball of nerves that came to me and I know she is happy. I still miss her every day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

BuileBeag I couldn't foster for the same reason, but thank you for what you are doing for that kitten. Horrible to think of what would have happened to him if he hadn't been lucky enough to be found by you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

Fostering is tough, but I've nearly found a stronger connection with dogs that have a few issues than those that don't. When you see a transformation in a dog due to hard work and training, as you have done with the kitten, it's a great sense of achievement getting a pet rehomed.

As others have said, it's always hard giving them away and I still look back fondly at pictures but when you see first hand at their happiness in a new family it makes it all worth it. There's another foster pet that's just waiting for your time and affection to get them to their forever home.

I think you always need the mentatility that it's short-term when fostering. You will bond and get attached, you will experience many highs and some lows, learn more about yourself and your foster pet. In the end it's all worth it, you're giving them a second chance by giving them time with your home and family in preparation for their forever home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Fosterers are a stunning breed of people.

Builebeag, I like you found a half dead kitten. I had never had a cat. I fell in love with this little ball of fur. I had 2 terriers. I thought they would never accept her. But slowly, slowly, slowly it worked. I showed the kitten to the dogs while I Carried her about the house. She lived for many weeks, seperately, in the work room. She was half feral.They were fascinated by her. I would say NO! crossly/loudly anytime they got too close, or looked aggressive. Eventually, after many weeks of being seperate and growing and getting strong, the kitten was allowed into the house, with a glass door closed and the dogs staring in at the kitten. All very slow/gradual. If Im honest it was a total pain in the bum, but it was either that, change the dogs attitude or rehome my lovely little kitten. I had invested so much time, energy and money in her at that stage, I loved her to bits, I wasnt going to give up on her. Now, she is currently snoring in a ball on the armchair beside me, and the terrier is snoring on the other armchair. They are friends, she loves the dog (my elderly dog passed away) he has no interest much in her, apart from the odd chasing game, but he wags his tail every time he sees her, and they hang around together out in the garden.

SO what Im saying is, if you can find a good foster home, great, but if you cant and are prepared to put in some very long and tedious work on your dog with the kitten you might get there too. If nothing else, when the cat is full grown she may be able to co-exist with the dog if she is brave enough to put up with him.

good luck to you, and major brownie points to you for saving the little scrap :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 sibleykins

We fostered a kitten we found in our parking lot for 3.5 weeks, she was 3 months old or so, very small and just about the same age as our large breed puppy... We couldn't keep her as our hands were full as is, but we did consider it on multiple occasions.

We contacted everyone we knew, and we got her adopted instead of sending her to shelter. Took 3.5 weeks - we avoided giving her a name and giving her too much attention in fear of her becoming attached to us - instead she kinda bonded with the pup by the end of the 2nd week they slept together...

It wasn't as heartbreaking for us as it was for our pup - we knew kitty was gonna go into a cat friendly home however our pup looked for her over the following weeks, every day. That was hard to watch.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the replies. I've been slow to reply because Im sulking like a child about having to give him up basically! :( I appreciate you all sharing your experiences. Some made me sad like the saluki who went to the UK. Amazing you can be so unselfish and do the right thing for the dog even when it hurts.
    We are still hoping we can find a way to keep him and are keeping him for another week while we try to work it out.
    In the meantime I've begun tentative introductions with the dogs. A lot of what aonb described above. Spending time wandering around holding him in their presence etc.
    A good friend is also speaking to some cat lovers she can personally vouch for, as the key to what most of you have said seems to be knowing where he is going and being able to ask for updates on his progress. Even though the rescue is truly wonderful, I hate the thought of him not going straight to a home.
    Anyways... Here's hoping we can keep him because he is the most amazing little guy and we adore him.
    Here's before and after pics so you can see why I'm so in love!

Oops the after didn't attach.. Here it is..

OMG that kitty is unreal t09026.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 14 sibleykins

Oh wow, that's just adorable, personally i would tell the dogs off for growling/ barking at it every time i carried the kitty. would also praise them loads for not reacting to the kitty = keep the kitty... its too cute!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Nody wrote: »
    We're still in contact with the families for the cats we placed years ago as well which do help.

Does it really? Because we took in Shade about 6 months ago and I feel kinda bad bombarding the fosterer with pics and videos! :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,334 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Does it really? Because we took in Shade about 6 months ago and I feel kinda bad bombarding the fosterer with pics and videos! :o
    We (as a foster family) love that; we're still tracking them on facebook pictures and get occasional e-mails on how they are doing and if they are keeping up their idiosyncrasies etc.

I agree, you HAVE to keep that kitten! :) You have certainly saved its life. You cant let pesky anti-cat terriers prevent you from being that cats forever home!
    Ok, take it from me, if my terrorists would accept a cat, yours will too!
    If necessary, the cat will live in one part of the house and be around when the dogs are outside. They will eventually get so used to it being 'their' cat that it will be ok! My dogs seem to think our cat is not the same as cats outside the house - they are 'fair game' - but our cat is the exception to them!

If the kitten is tough enough to give them a faceful of sharp claws, they will learn to respect it. If the kitten gets confident and brave in your house, it may just assume ownership and wallop the dogs into submission. My JRT met the cats very sharp claws on his nose a couple of times when he got too close to her. Before anyone jumps in about abuse of my dogs - When it comes to the safety of my cat, I dont mind that the dogs get their come-uppance - a scratch on the nose is a small price to pay to keep the cat safe :)

My dogs live by MY rules (mostly!! well usually!!) and when the kitten moved in, they were shouted at or even an odd smack (gulp!) and once when one was just not getting it, I waved a wodden spoon at him in a threatening manner. He finally got the message... it took time, and that kitten was carried around for an awful long time, but as a result she is the cuddliest, friendliest, happiest little cat!!

Dont give up OP! Stick to your guns, let the little kitten stay, and show those dogs who is boss!!

aonb wrote: »
    I agree, you HAVE to keep that kitten! :) You have certainly saved its life....Dont give up OP! Stick to your guns, let the little kitten stay, and show those dogs who is boss!!

You should take up motivational speaking aonb!

Well the intros are going pretty well. Khali my lab x loves cats. As I mentioned in an earlier post she wasn't always that way but I spent a loooong time when my mum got her cat and eventually she went from kill kill kill to play play play. The problem with her now is her level of excitement at having her very own kitten in her very own home, is dangerously high. I'm quite certain she would accidentally do damage to the little guy if I let her near him, so I'm just working on only letting her have a sniff etc only when she's calmed down a bit.
    Hiro the yorkie x is doing relatively well. He does try to run up my legs and grab a hold of him. (Hasn't come near to succeeding, does he think I'm stupid!?) He barks a bit at first in a very unfriendly way but I flail my arm about and give out to him and he shuts up then and just tries silently running up my leg or jumping on nearby furniture for leverage. But the thing is he loses interest very fast and then I get to congratulate him for being lovely and quiet and doing his own thing and ignoring the kitten. Happy days. He's a good little dog and very very clever so I'm sure he'll learn soon enough.
    There still remains a bigger obstacle to keeping him that i cant be bothered going into but there is a glimmer of hope that it will get sorted next week. So we'll know by the end of next week if he's ours or not. Fingers toes and everything else crossed cause hes deadly. He's so playful now. The first couple days he wouldn't let us so much as look at him and now he just wants to be playing with us or cuddling us. He's brightened up these dark evenings no end! :D

You should take up motivational speaking aonb!

Well the intros are going pretty well. Khali my lab x loves cats. As I mentioned in an earlier post she wasn't always that way but I spent a loooong time when my mum got her cat and eventually she went from kill kill kill to play play play. The problem with her now is her level of excitement at having her very own kitten in her very own home, is dangerously high. I'm quite certain she would accidentally do damage to the little guy if I let her near him, so I'm just working on only letting her have a sniff etc only when she's calmed down a bit.
    Hiro the yorkie x is doing relatively well. He does try to run up my legs and grab a hold of him. (Hasn't come near to succeeding, does he think I'm stupid!?) He barks a bit at first in a very unfriendly way but I flail my arm about and give out to him and he shuts up then and just tries silently running up my leg or jumping on nearby furniture for leverage. But the thing is he loses interest very fast and then I get to congratulate him for being lovely and quiet and doing his own thing and ignoring the kitten. Happy days. He's a good little dog and very very clever so I'm sure he'll learn soon enough.
    There still remains a bigger obstacle to keeping him that i cant be bothered going into but there is a glimmer of hope that it will get sorted next week. So we'll know by the end of next week if he's ours or not. Fingers toes and everything else crossed cause hes deadly. He's so playful now. The first couple days he wouldn't let us so much as look at him and now he just wants to be playing with us or cuddling us. He's brightened up these dark evenings no end! :D

GREAT NEWS! Hope you get your obstacle sorted, and can become a dog AND cat home! Ive never had a cat til this little rescue, and Im besotted with her - they are such fun and as you say brighten up your day! I think its something to do with the fluffiness???

GREAT that the 2 dogs seem to be settling down so well to

GOOD LUCK!!

p.s. and you know what, if you cant get to keep him, you will have saved his life anyway, and given him a great start - he will trust humans now - and you can concentrate on finding him an excellent alternative home!

aonb wrote: »
    GREAT NEWS! Hope you get your obstacle sorted, and can become a dog AND cat home! Ive never had a cat til this little rescue, and Im besotted with her - they are such fun and as you say brighten up your day! I think its something to do with the fluffiness???

GREAT that the 2 dogs seem to be settling down so well to

GOOD LUCK!!

p.s. and you know what, if you cant get to keep him, you will have saved his life anyway, and given him a great start - he will trust humans now - and you can concentrate on finding him an excellent alternative home!

Yeah im glad I've gotten him trusting people. It'll make it so much easier on him if he has to be rehomed.

Definitely the fluffiness is a factor. But I think its because you feel a bit special when a cat likes you. My dogs adore me. They go crazy with excitement when I come home. But then a stranger walks in and they're crazy with excitement for them too and I'm thinking 'feck yis!' But cats are different. They aren't as quick to bestow their affection on people. So when they choose you... its just extra special. :)

• Advertisement

But cats are different. They aren't as quick to bestow their affection on people. So when they choose you... its just extra special. :)

So much this. Sammy is exceptionally shy and took a long time to feel at home with me. Now he runs over to me for cuddles, and sits there looking up at me with those big eyes while I scratch under his chin, and I am so full of love and gratitude for his trust that it's almost overwhelming sometimes t09026.gif

Really hope you can keep your little guy BuileBeag!

Dandelion6 wrote: »
    So much this. Sammy is exceptionally shy and took a long time to feel at home with me. Now he runs over to me for cuddles, and sits there looking up at me with those big eyes while I scratch under his chin, and I am so full of love and gratitude for his trust that it's almost overwhelming sometimes.

Really hope you can keep your little guy BuileBeag!

Thanks Dandelion. I'll update the thread as soon as I know for sure. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

I have fostered a load of kittens this year for one of the local charities.

It is a win/win IMO. we already have a mature cat and two dogs. It may sound harsh, but I'm not taking on any more long term animals until one of the ones I have kicks the bucket.

So I get the pleasure of little kittens till at least 14 weeks, and all the cuteness, silliness, etc etc The kittens get used to an older cat, dogs, kids, husband, and general madness of a busy house. And then they go on to the home they will have for 15 or more years.

I really don't mind handing them on. I trust the rehoming policy of charity.

The current kitten I have/had, being rehomed in the morning, was hard work (his brother is already rehomed). Their mother was feral, women who was feeding mammy cat did TNR. She kept kittens and mammy cat in dog crate for 14 weeks before giving to charity. The poor kittens were agoraphobic and hyperactive at same time. Took three week of utter craziness for two of them to calm down. He is a beautiful kitten now and you would never think he has been through what he has.

Advertisement