Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Denver

Options
  • 15-09-2015 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭

Heading to Denver in a few weeks. Will be there for a week. We are doing a day trip to Aspen. Any other suggestions of things we should see or do?

I will have 2-3 days on my own while my OH is at a conference. Any suggestions to keep myself entertained?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Dave1442397

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Denver is cool enough but I wouldn't want to be there for 3 days. You're best getting out of Denver.

But if you do end up staying in the Denver area. There's some great pubs and restaurants around the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 CompositeJohn

I agree with Wompa on this one. Living in Kansas, we use Denver as our launching point for our frequent trips to Colorado but never spend a large amount of time in the city unless there's something going on there.

That said, it's a cool city and the backdrop is nice. Red Rocks Amphitheater is cool. You might be able to catch some baseball at Coors field depending on how soon you are going and hit up the LoDo area before/after. Then there's 16th Mall, Larimer Square, REI store etc.

Its trips out of Denver that are really where the experience begins. If you do have a car, looking to the west, a drive up Lookout mountain offers great views of the city (and Buffalo Bills grave!) and Coors factory if you fancied a tour. About 1hr30 to the west is Mount Evans, the full drive to the summit will be closed now but loop around past its toll road is a nice drive.

40mins to the north I'd highly recommend Boulder to walk around and a drive up Boulder Canyon. Of course RNMP is great for views and hiking but farther out at 1hr30ish. An hour to the south, Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs and Pikes Peak are well worth a visit.

Not sure how you are getting to Aspen but make sure you see Maroon Bells there, if driving, Glenwood Springs is worth a stop with its hot spring pool and I highly recommend a night if possible in the Hotel Colorado there for its history alone. Breckenridge is a cool town on the trip out there also.

Have a great trip, Colorado is a wonderful place.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Thanks for the info. We are based in Denver as there is a conference on. Arrive Sunday 17th (evening) and driving to Aspen on the Monday. Will do a few sites in Denver on Tuesday and then the conference starts which is when I will be on my own. Coors factory is on the list and will definitely be adding in Buffalo Bills grave (never knew that was there)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Dovies wrote: »
    Thanks for the info. We are based in Denver as there is a conference on. Arrive Sunday 17th (evening) and driving to Aspen on the Monday. Will do a few sites in Denver on Tuesday and then the conference starts which is when I will be on my own. Coors factory is on the list and will definitely be adding in Buffalo Bills grave (never knew that was there)

Try out Biker Jim's Gourmet Hot Dogs. My fiancé and I went there because we saw it on Anthony Bourdain's show. Pretty f'kin good. Also, have the Soda there. There's some brand of Soda that's unique to Denver. You'll find it there and in a few other places around the city. It's the best soda I've ever had...or MINERAL :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement