Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internal Insulation - DIY Project

Options
  • 05-08-2015 12:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭

Hello,

Thanks to all here that posted regarding their adventure doing internal / external insulation.
    That determined me to DIY, as the price quoted by companies were in region of over €14k for external job.

Just removed the internal plaster board and the wooden frames. All 3 upstairs bedrooms will be "upgraded".
    Is shocking at the quality or standards of what the house has been built by back in 90s !! Where are the builders and / or developers that have approved this crap built ??
    There are holes from interior to exterior that are "insulated" by a cut in half brick thrown in the hole and then some fibre glass and external cover material.

I'm using 92mm insulated plasterboard from here .Easy to deal with, quite hard to manage trough the small doors and windows.

I have finished one bedroom and I can say that in the morning, the air is cold-ish but not dump and wet like before. Much warmer tough...

In the attic, i'm using over the trusters, some insulating 40 mm superquilt from here, covering all the ventilation holes that comes inside the attic. trough the vents.
    I leave the 5-10mm free from the roof felt to the surface of the foil for "breathing" reasons.

Again, i'm shocked how the insulation is done there, just pure absolute joke !
    I'll posts pictures later .

Not lastly and apart of my time, the price for them came much cheaper than a quoted price by a established company.
    Cannot figure out yet, despite of my lack of experience, that it could be worse than before.

Looking for advice on how to do it external walls insulation...same DIY.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Some pretty serious claims made here.

You write:
    Again, i'm shocked how the insulation is done there, just pure absolute joke !

Which suggests that you know how to do it properly.

Have you read this little pamphlet?
    https://www.nsai.ie/S-R-54-2014-Code-of-Practice.aspx

ps your friend eamonnn11 should read it too.

in the attic
    Do you understand why there are vents in the soffit boards that you now have covered up?

Where did you get the 5-10mm idea from?
    What happens at the ridge board?

What ventilation is there in the bedroom that you have "done" ?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

@Calahonda52

Thanks for reply.
    I will need some time to double my arguments with some photos for your reply and why no, free feedback ! :)

First, not sure if is justified, but taking in consideration the amount of money paid and still to pay for this house, i did expected better built.
    As a quick example, we found a hole alongside front wall that was going open to my neighbour living room, my hand will have penetrated and we were "able" to do a hands / fingers shake...
    A hole that was blocked by a half cut brick.

In the bedroom, the open empty space between attic vents and the room's plasterboard ,a hand wide in size.
    In a smaller bedroom, draft like on the windy day on the beach.

Not sure if i'm right, wrong, worse or better, but let me attach some photos...

Thanks and looking forward to your reply.

Attic to Bedroom 1

Before:

357558.jpg

After:

357559.jpg

Windows Bedroom 1:

Before:

357560.jpg

After:

357561.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Living Room, with more pictures to come later: