Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What age do heifer and bull calves become fertile

• 30-06-2015 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭

When I went up to check the cattle this evening I noticed this heifer calf with her tail out from her. I didn't take much heed at first but when I got closer I seen a long cloudy clear slime hanging out of her, similar to what you would see from a cow in heat.

This heifer is a BB and was born 2nd week of Jan and the oldest bull calf in field is a PT and was born at the beginning of Jan. Is it possible that both are fertile at this age?

I normally don't separate bulls from heifers until early August when I start creep feeding and I have never had a weanling heifer end up incalf. I am very worried now and I am going to contact the vet in the morn but I am curious to see if anyone seen this before.

wXXp6Nol.jpg?2

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

I'd a Simmental cross limo calve down at 15 months. Give her a shot of estrumate and she'll be grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,291 ✭✭✭tanko

I've had a seven month heifer go in calf and had a seven month old bull calf put a heifer in calf. You couldn't be up to the feckers. You could always give her a shot of estrumate later in the year just to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

Cheers Miname and Tanko. When should I give the estrumate to her?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭flutered

hereabouts it the opposite, cows and hefhirs are not coming in heat, eggs samples taken are not fertile, vets dunno whats wrong saying it could be the cold nights

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Butcher Boy

RobinBanks wrote: »

I think it is after 40 days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭hopeso

RobinBanks wrote: »

I'm not sure if it's estrumate that my vet uses, but his advice any time I ask is to wait and see if she comes in heat again in three weeks time, and give it to her then if she doesn't. But, I think it's fine to give it before that, and it's probably perfectly fine any time in the next few months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭The man in red and black

Estrumate can be used to stop the pregnancy any time after 5 days after the heat was seen. Better not to wait too long, it is 95% effective up to 4.5months then the effectiveness drops. Also watch out for the fact that if she wasn't in calf she may come into heat 2-5 days after the estrumate injection so don't let her get bred again :)

The youngest I've ever seen calf down was a Dexter which are notorious for early fertility and believe it or not she calved(By caesarian, dead calf unfortunately), at one year and two weeks of age. The guy was a very nice hobby farmer with 3 cows so I was inclined to believe his dates on the blue card he showed me. I've never seen anything else calf before 14/15months.

Advertisement