Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water pump has burst...

Options
  • 24-04-2015 8:23am

...have a well and a water pump.

Came home yesterday to find water spraying everywhere from the underside of the cylinder. It's been there about 10 years and never tested or anything so guess something rusted through. Water stopped spraying when I turned off the electrical switch so crisis averted, but now wondering what is the cost of these things? Can't even seem to find the type I have, it's like a red cylinder about the size of those old gas cylinders.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Power Gear

I know feck all about plumbing but I think it is called a pressure tank.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTvRvhfRMDFK529zBlKQXr15n22sNaiGuK_i16W0ctcXUYpKdQPmw

I paid 300 euro last August for the installation of a new blue one. Same problem as you but mine lasted 16 years. Rusted through underneath. That piece can be taken off but I don't know if it can be repaired.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

They cannot be repaired if they have burst. But it is a relatively straightforward job to replace them.

Power Gear wrote: »
    I know feck all about plumbing but I think it is called a pressure tank.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTvRvhfRMDFK529zBlKQXr15n22sNaiGuK_i16W0ctcXUYpKdQPmw

I paid 300 euro last August for the installation of a new blue one. Same problem as you but mine lasted 16 years. Rusted through underneath. That piece can be taken off but I don't know if it can be repaired.

That's the very thing! Thanks. Was looking everywhere for one online but was googling water pumps.

€300 wouldn't be bad at all. That for both the tank and labour? Know a guy who is very handy at DIY so could even buy it and maybe save a few more euros. Heart sank as was thinking double or triple it. To be honest, at 10 years, and at that price, reckon I'm probably better off getting a new one than getting some patch up job on this one.

That for both the tank and labour?

Yes.

Sorry for all the questions. Thanks for all the help. It's been a relief!

Friend reckons he can install it, so one last question, anyone know if the standard BnQ type stores stock the tanks? Have googled but just getting sites with specs, for what looks like people in the trade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Highly unlikely to get one in B+Q or Woodies etc.
    What part of the country are you in.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

The one we have on our well seems to be fibreglass. At least the outer appearance is of layers of criss-cross tape. It was quite light to handle anyway. I bought it second hand along with a deep well submersible pump/piping/wiring etc.
    Its there 13 years now and no problems.

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Highly unlikely to get one in B+Q or Woodies etc.
    What part of the country are you in.

Way down in the SW, in Kerry. Tralee, KIllarney or Cork nearest centres.

Way down in the SW, in Kerry. Tralee, KIllarney or Cork nearest centres.

Go on the Kingdom :pac:. The guy that installed mine is from Killarney. I will PM you his number anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

You should be able to buy the Tank in any plumbing suppliers. As said fitting it is quite straight forward.

• Advertisement
Advertisement