Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Two lane road = dual carriageway?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

this would'nt be a problem if everyone kept to the left (or driving) lane unless overtaking (until they were approaching that roundabout)...which returns us to the first post ..maybe you can see that you have been the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,266 ✭✭✭alias no.9

galah wrote: »
    well I'm glad it's not clear cut - means I asked a valid question :P

So maybe move onto a different scenario - two lanes, but IN town (for example, Merchants Road in Galway, or along the Quays in Dublin (if memory serves me right) - would you always be obliged to drive on the left? And you can't be faster in the left lane than the right lane? I would think not...

Same would apply in my eyes to Bothar n dtreabh - just because it looks like a dual carriageway, doesn't mean that it is - technically it's still another inner city road with an inner city speed limit, two lanes leading to two different directions (after a while, granted).

The only ambiguity is on the part of those seeking to ignore the most basic of rules of the road.
    It's 2km of uninterrupted roadway, keep left unless you're overtaking and get in lane approaching the roundabout or join the back of the queue if its backed up. Central reservations or barriers don't come into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,533 ✭✭✭blackwhite

So if I am behind someone, and need to move lanes to pass them out and move back into the same lane then, this would be over or undertaking. But if I am in a lane and someone else is in another lane, I am merely continuing at the same speed, and if the person in the other lane is slower, it does not affect me.

Undertaking is what you do with a hearse.
    Any time you passing someone who is travelling in the same direction then it's overtaking. Whether you pass on the left or right, and whether you actually changed lanes is irrelevant.

Otherwise everyone would have to be going at the speed of the slowest person in any lane, which would cause massive tailbacks (I know there's the argument that slow moving people should always be on the left, but what is considered "slow"? For some people, the speed limit is too slow...)

If someone isn't overtaking, then they shouldn't be in the right hand lane (unless of course they're approaching a right hand turn - and then one of the exemptions mentioned in the legislation comes into play). The speed they are travelling at is irrelevant; fast or slow, you should only occupy the right hand lane when overtaking. If someone is overtaking (assuming only two lanes), then it's going to be impossible to pass them on the left.
    If the road is so congested that there's slow-moving traffic in both lanes, then there's an exemption in the law for that.
    At the end of the day the whole thing is probably moot anyway, as nothing is really ever enforced here...(in Germany, you will also be prosecuted for tailgaiting for example, they can measure the relative distances to other cars etc).

(Firstly, congratulations on being the rare Boardsie who correctly uses "moot point" - seeing people post about "mute" points drives me daft :D).
    The final part of your post is the key point really - there's no enforcement here of anything other than speed (and even that is enforced very loosely). If lane discipline was properly enforced, then it would never be possible for anyone to "overtake" on the left.

People get annoyed and upset about people not understanding the rules of the road - but given how shockingly bad the behaviour of a large number of drivers tends to be, is really shouldn't be surprising that people get confused as to what the actual rules of the road actually are!
    If you see enough people continually doing the wrong thing, and not being pulled up for it, then its natural that some people will assume that there's nothing wrong at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

that's pretty much the problem - no one gives a toss, and if the law enforcers dont even care, why should i? Pretty depressing but explains a lot.

Also, to the poster who thinks i'm the problem - i'd say on the list of problems people face on the road, choosing the left or right lane of a stretch of road in a small part of galway is probably not high up.

Glad i asked though, as it seems that a lot of stuff that is legislated for elsewhere is bunged into one 'fits all' rule here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

you're driving 2 km in the wrong lane and people behind you are losing patience and trying to get you to move over and you don't think you are causing a problem?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

I said i'm not high up on the list of problems people could face on the road. It's not like i'm crawling along 20 kmh below the limit and i obviously move out of the way if someone feels they need to do 100 in a 50 zone, i'm not a dickhead blocking people for the craic. Stop making assumptions about my driving skills just because i dare to ask a question here. It's really off-putting, to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

I have to commend galah for asking the question rather than doing what many drivers do and assume he's right and stubbornly stick to his guns.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

from the rules of the road

You must not overtake when
    • You are at or near a pelican crossing, zebra crossing or at pedestrian
    • signals.
    • A traffic sign or road marking prohibits it.
    • You are approaching a junction.
    • You are on the approach to a corner, bend, dip in the road, hump-back
      bridge, brow of a hill or on a narrow road.
    • You are in the left-hand lane of a dual carriageway or motorway when
      traffic is moving at normal speed.
    • At any other time, to do so would cause danger or inconvenience to another road user.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

You must not overtake when
    • You are in the left-hand lane of a dual carriageway or motorway when
      traffic is moving at normal speed.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

ironclaw wrote: »

What's strange about that?

• Advertisement

ironclaw wrote: »
    Seems to be a reiteration of the 'do not pass on the left' rule. It makes sense that if you're overtaking traffic while in the left lane then you must be passing on the inside otherwise you'd have moved into the lane on your right in order to get by.
    Still doesn't mean it's legal to pass in the left-hand lane of other road classes except in the specified circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Still doesn't mean it's legal to pass in the left-hand lane of other road classes except in the specified circumstances.

Fine, direct us to the legislation that prohibits this.

S.I. No. 182/1997 - Road Traffic (Traffic and Parking) Regulations, 1997
    Drive on Left
    9. Save where otherwise required by these Regulations, a vehicle shall be driven on the left hand side of the roadway in such a manner so as to allow, without danger or inconvenience to traffic or pedestrians, approaching traffic to pass on the right and overtaking traffic to overtake on the right.
    S.I. No. 332/2012 - Road Traffic (Traffic and Parking) (Amendment) (No. 2) Regulations 2012
    “(5)(a) A driver (other than a pedal cyclist) may only overtake on the left—

(i) where the driver of the vehicle about to be overtaken has signalled an intention to turn to the right and the driver of the overtaking vehicle intends, after overtaking, to go straight ahead or turn to the left,

(ii) where the driver of the overtaking vehicle intends, after overtaking, to turn to the left at the next road junction and has signalled this intention, or

(iii) in slow-moving traffic, when vehicles in the traffic lane on the driver’s right are moving more slowly than the overtaking vehicle,

Now it's your turn. Please direct us to the direct us to the legislation that allows it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

(4) Subject to the provisions of sub-article (5), a driver shall overtake on the right and shall not move in towards the left until it is safe to do so.

(5) A driver may only overtake on the left—

( a ) where the driver of the vehicle about to be overtaken has signalled an intention to turn to the right and the driver of the overtaking vehicle intends, after overtaking, to go straight ahead or to turn to the left,
    ( b ) where the driver of the overtaking vehicle intends, after overtaking, to turn left at the next road junction and has signalled this intention,
    ( c ) in slow moving traffic, when vehicles in the traffic lane on the driver's right are moving more slowly than the overtaking vehicle.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1997/en/si/0182.html#zzsi182y1997a10

Advertisement