Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2015 Sean Kelly Tour of Waterford - Online Entry opens on Valentines Day

• 13-02-2015 3:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 401 ✭✭

Online entry for the 2015 Sean Kelly Tour of Waterford opens tomorrow 14th February at 9.00am
    Enter at www.theseankellytour.com

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 172 ✭✭Tree Scape

Better do it again this year, wimped out of Mahon Falls last year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

Perfect Valentine's Day gift is you intend to break up with your other half in around six months time...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Just a heads up the entries are down to the last two hundred for 160km....Id say it will sell out fast now.
    Anyone a snap of this years jersey yet??
    Found it on the FB page....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Hope this works, trying to upload from phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Yellow!
    Seriously.....?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Red Belly

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    Yellow!
    Seriously.....?

KAS?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057476601

2 entries available for the 160km route if anyone is interested.

Injury :(

Very quiet on this thread given how good it is.......
    Maybe the weather last year has effected the build up??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

I'm not overly encouraged by the forecast for this year either!

yr.no has 8mm of rain between 0700 and 1300 and a further 9.5mm until 1900 with winds picking up from 5m/s to 10m/s from the south

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

2667219_orig.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

yr.no has 8mm of rain between 0700 and 1300 and a further 9.5mm until 1900 with winds picking up from 5m/s to 10m/s from the south

The 15m/s wind in afternoon is what caught my eye!

A day for long spin on mtb in woods!

Hopefully we'll be able to climb Mahons #htfu_nmg

That's after coming out of nowhere!! Or has Sean done a few Hail Mary's..
    Here's Sunday's just gone!
    I'll have to keep a close eye

Changed again today.......
    Have to wait and see what Jean Byrne and her Friday night guna has to say........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

Zero rain and light air. Please don't change again.
    http://www.yr.no/place/Ireland/Munster/Dungarvan/long.html

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

funkyjebus wrote: »
    Zero rain and light air. Please don't change again.
    http://www.yr.no/place/Ireland/Munster/Dungarvan/long.html

Fingers crossed!

Dcully wrote: »
    Fingers crossed!

Back to rain again.....

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Corker1

Back to rain again.....

Very wet by the look of it! The forecast could change again for the better of course.

Corker1 wrote: »
    Very wet by the look of it! The forecast could change again for the better of course.

Snow thunder and lightning are all possible still at this stage...oh and a heat wave...:eek:
    Come on Jean Byrnes Guna!!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Come on Jean Byrnes Guna!!!:D

So that's what it is...

0o

• Advertisement

longshanks wrote: »
    So that's what it is...

0o
    :) Wouldn't be first I'd imagine!!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 ADW1

Can't be any worse than last year! 5 and a half hours of misery!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

ADW1 wrote: »

Looking at the forecast after the news it looks like it will be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

Looking at the latest forecast, I reckon we might all be better off bringing canoes for this on Sunday...

I wonder will they close of Mahon Falls like last year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

They will if the forecast is right. Looks like torture again. Still at least the sun shone for the tour Kilkenny this year. Last year was a whole month of torture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

I wonder will they close of Mahon Falls like last year

Going by the RTE weather forecast at a 9.30 it's almost certain. They even mentioned weather warnings!! Looks like a long wet day in the saddle folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Corker1

Time to break out the winter bike. Now where did I leave those mudguards??

ADW1 wrote: »

Only 5 and a half....😄
    Try 7

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,447 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

given the forecast for wet weather (but probably not too cold) what do those experienced riders suggest for clothing?

I'm planing on wearing a short sleeve jersey was going to pop a sleeveless light Aldi rain jacket (actually it's definitely not waterproof) into the jersey pocket.

Am I mad or should I be looking to being a heavier waterproof jacket? I reckon I'd be sweating in it that's the only thing.

I'm going with a standard short sleeved jersey, a decent galibier raincoat, it's not too heavy and over shoes. I'm still expecting to get wet but hopefully not soaked through. A previous poster alluded to last year's tour de kilkenny:eek:. Hopefully it won't be on that scale.#horrendous:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

I'm in Waterford, was out for a spin this morning and had everything from calm to windy, rain through to sunshine. Wore bib shorts and a jersey, and had a gilet in my back pocket which came out when the rain started. I only rode for a couple of hours and clothing-wise that was enough. Maybe add some overshoes for a longer spin just in case the weather doesn't play ball.
    That's if tomorrows weather behaves like this mornings.
    Hope that helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Looks like the worst of the rain will be finished by 8am, still likely to get wet though. Short sleeve jersey with gilet and light rain jacket in pocket for me.

Aldi jersey & gilet and wiggle shorts will have to do for me. No overshoes etc..that will be next years purchase along with clipless pedals and cleats :)

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭mullaj00

Glad to report that it is dry in Dungarvan for the cycle. Overcast with a slight breeze. Sun is trying it's best to break through the cloud. Safe travelling to everyone. Mahon Falls should be open for everyone!!;)

• Advertisement

what a perfect day for a cycle. I must say in my limited sportif experience this was excellent.

I did the 100km course and it was superb, loved it. Such nice scenery.
    The support, the food, stewards etc was top class. It knocks the spots off previous 100km I've done. The service car was always near which must have been good to the many people hit with punctures early on in the cycle.

I suppose when we were expecting pure misery with the weather anything would be a bonus.

Cycling into Lismore and over the bridge with the castle as the backdrop, stunning.
    Speeding into Ring was also fun..followed by a bit of a climb only to finish with a nice fast approach into Dungarvan..nice.

Well done to the organisers.

Oh and the goody bag, I was initially disappointed to see all the Large jerseys gone by 8:30am but thankfully the XL fits very well..says more about me really doesn't it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭borntobike

The 160km was a super event with great groups all day willing to work together. Kelly was everywhere and great host. Mahon Falls just does not get any easier.

Just having a bottle of Smithwicks and a pizza after doing the 160km. Thinking of where to start this post.

I suppose first and foremost. Thanks to the volunteers and marshals who made it an outstanding day. Their words of encouragement was brilliant. Some even popping up in two locations. They even organised the weather. I was never so happy to see an incorrect weather forecast.

Last year I was disappointed Mahon Falls was closed, today going up it I would have been delighted if it was closed. Having said that once I got off the decent I was delighted to have done it.

Saw a pink boardsie jersey at the start. Christ seems a long time ago now.

Three of my greatest struggles today; 1) Getting up and down Mahon Falls.
    2) Trying to get back on my bike to cycle to the car from the leisure centre
    3) Driving from Kilcullen to Dublin looking for a toilet badly.

I am glad to report I managed all three.

Great event, thanks to all who helped in anyway. Now I have gone up Mahon Falls I wont be back next year*

*(Will definitely be back next year).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭derealbadger

Great spin saw Needmoregears a few times and also a guy in pink boards shorts and Orwell jersey at a food stop i was in my Naas CC gear had my green Boards jersey on at the start but was fab day so ended up inmy pocket for the rest of the day. Mahon Falls really is a tough climb was glad to see the back of it

Well after all of the weather watching it turned out to be a mighty day on the bike.There were plenty of relieved cyclists in Dungarvan this morning as we headed off on the 100 Km course, the good weather added to the sense of anticipation and general good humour as we headed along the road to Cappoquin.
    It was great to see so many locals out cheering on the cyclists as we made our way around, there are many events where you would hardly see a soul so it was a welcome change.
    As usual on the An Post series stewarding and food stops were top notch, knockanore was fairly packed but the queue was moving steadily so everyone was fed and watered promptly enough. So all and all a fabulous day, many thanks to all of the volunteers, stewards and on the road support personnel, without you all these events would not happen so chapeau to you all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Burning Bridges

Other half kicking herself for not coming along, but weather forecast was predicting a deluge.
    Really excellent day. Well done to the organisers.

Really enjoyed the spin. Met two boardsies. Derealbadger had stripped to his Naas gear by the first food stop ; thanks for the shout on Tickinor. Met Doc07 at the start.

Thankfully the weather played ball. Almost perfect conditions. Was with a decent group until about 40k when it seemed to break up. After that it was pretty much solo with an occasional one or two others. Happy with the climbs and descents, although Mahon's is still very tough - funnily the ramp at the end always seems easier than the rest of it. Maybe it was the wind behind me or the fact I could see the end of the pain.

I always like the run back to Dungarvan - downhill and with the wind is just what I needed at that stage.

Big thanks as usual to the organisers and volunteers, especially the marshalls who were great ; this is a really well run event. Only minor quibble was the lack of smaller jerseys (again - same as two years ago).

Back for more next year.

Was dreading the weather all week but turned out perfect in the end,
    Thanks to the volunteers and marshals great event and the weather thankfully didn't take from it,
    Finisher jersey didn't look too bad in real life after all.
    Im not sure but did anyone else feel like not everyone turned up?? I was touch and go with a group from Dungarvan cycling club in places thanks for the tow when I could stay with youse.
    In my head think the hills are worse than Dublin/Wicklow as in longer drags only did 2300m approx and was bolloed at the end now in fairness I was at a quicker pace than usual....As Greg Le Mond says it doesn't get any easier just quicker.
    The 4am start to drive down and drive back to Dublin only arriving home at 10pm (I was designated driver)may be enough to possibly stay over next year at least one of the nights but was worth the commute.
    A testament to the man himself Sean no wonder he was a half man half bike with the Comeragh as his training patch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 296 ✭✭El Kabong!

Hi all,

I have the honour of coming 2nd last in the 160k!

I was not really prepared for it and underestimated the route but I did it all and I did not walk!

I left 30 mins before the start to avoid the crowds and so everyone must have overtaken me. I really don't think 1500 did, so perhaps the numbers were down because of the weather forecast?

I was close to dropping plenty of times but my friend who stayed with me was brilliant and so were all the marshalls. The broom wagon guys were encouraging me rather than trying to sweep me up.

I stopped early on the decent on Mahon Falls as there was a guy with a broken wheel being picked up. Just then there was a torrential downpour for 5 mins so I had a hard time getting down the Falls. I was probably slower on the way down than up! Apart from a light drizzle once that was the only rain of the day.

The broom car told me some had skipped Mahon Falls and there was one guy behind me walking up. I saw him roll in about 30 mins behind me at the finish line. He seemed happy out!

Really pleased I did it.

Being a local, I'm possibly biased, but yet again it proved to be a great event. I did the 100k. Delighted that the bad weather hit us overnight and was gone by morning.

Fair play to the stewards and volunteers. Every year they do a great job, and yet there seems to be improvements each year (the stop/go traffic management on the Ring/N25 junction, for example).

Didn't spot any boards jerseys, ye were obviously all up the Comeraghs somewhere!

El Kabong! wrote: »
    I really don't think 1500 did, so perhaps the numbers were down because of the weather forecast?

There were plenty of red numbers on the 100k.

Did the 100K,some tasty climbs in there which seemed to surprise many of us that didnt do this route before.
    My third sportive over the last 3 weekends and this was by far the best,Tour of Kildare and Leinster Loop were really well run and great events but there was something magical about the SKT yesterday, between everyone delighted the weather played ball at the last minute,great organizing,the simply amazing volunteers and helpers everywhere along the route or the fantastic locals everywhere along the route at their gates sitting,standing,dining [even some playing music] at their gates cheering everyone on as they went by, it was simply fantastic to see.
    Everyone down that neck of the woods seemed to come out of their homes to greet the whole event with open arms,it was amazing in every department huge respect and thanks to everyone invloved,will definitely do it again next year.

Dcully wrote: »
    Did the 100K,some tasty climbs in there which seemed to surprise many of us that didnt do this route before.
    My third sportive over the last 3 weekends and this was by far the best,Tour of Kildare and Leinster Loop were really well run and great events but there was something magical about the SKT yesterday, between everyone delighted the weather played ball at the last minute,great organizing,the simply amazing volunteers and helpers everywhere along the route or the fantastic locals everywhere along the route at their gates sitting,standing,dining [even some playing music] at their gates cheering everyone on as they went by, it was simply fantastic to see.
    Everyone down that neck of the woods seemed to come out of their homes to greet the whole event with open arms,it was amazing in every department huge respect and thanks to everyone invloved,will definitely do it again next year.

There was one guy outside his house, after the food stop in Ardmore as we headed along to Ringville playing a Banjo as he sat on a kitchen chair :D.
    Very Deliverance!!

Yeah spotted him,think was on or near that 10k drag after the last water stop?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭derealbadger

Anybody know where the pics from Mahon falls are

• Advertisement
Advertisement