Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traffic lights in Athlone town centre

Options
  • 15-12-2014 6:18am

The lights at the crossroads beside Dunnes were out yesterday, I have never seen the junction so clear on what was one of the busiest shopping days of the year.

Please don't fix them!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭athlonelad

The lights at the crossroads beside Dunnes were out yesterday, I have never seen the junction so clear on what was one of the busiest shopping days of the year.

Please don't fix them!!
    I was thinking the same thing the last time they went out. Only problem is if some gombeen decides he wants to make an illegal right turn.

Please don't fix them!!
    I was thinking the same thing the last time they went out. Only problem is if some gombeen decides he wants to make an illegal right turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

I say the opposite, fix 'em. There's been several fender benders and gob****es who simply shouldn't be on the road. I had several near misses myself, 2 in the car and 1 crossing the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Steven81

They seem to be gone for a few weeks now, it is clearer but definitely harder for a few cars and then some people just go straight at high speeds, crossing the roads with 2 children can be a challenge so for the elderly it would be harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭veryangryman

You'll get morons anyway, lights or no lights.

I'm with DolanBaker. Town has never been so accessible.

Long term, i say replace lights with pedestrian crossings and yield signs. Also use that surface that makes a car slow down (like they have in Monksland Retail Park) to minimise muppetry.

Yes i know the stupid lights will be back. :mad: BUt its good to dream of council doing things to benefit all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

Jebus, don't give them any ideas, you'll end up with a mini-roundabout there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Pretty sure its done on purpose for that exact reason. They coincidentally developed a fault this time last year too and traffic flowed well

Saint_Mel wrote: »
    Pretty sure its done on purpose for that exact reason. They coincidentally developed a fault this time last year too and traffic flowed well
    I hope you're right, but I bet it's just a coincidence.

If the council know that they're useless why do they keep using them! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

I hope you're right, but I bet it's just a coincidence.

If the council know that they're useless why do they keep using them! :rolleyes:

Someone fromt he Council must have read this ... Lights are back working apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭triskell

Yep lights are back on and it's absolute bedlam again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,360 ✭✭✭roosterman71

athlonelad wrote: »

The amount of people making right turns there was unreal. I was stuck behind a gimp coming out of town one day who pulled up at Dunnes to turn right. He was parked beside the little traffic island and couldn't go because of the traffic coming in from Supermacs direction. "If only my car was a tank" I thought. I could of rid the world of one less idiot.

He was the worst, but I must of seen people turning right from all approaches in the last couple of weeks.

triskell wrote: »
    Yep lights are back on and it's absolute bedlam again
    :mad:
    Does this council have any sense at all!
    If you're reading turn them off again!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

:mad:
    Does this council have any sense at all!
    If you're reading turn them off again!

What would be the best option for that junction? I hate the lights there, but a roundabout would be a bit awkward.

Itzy wrote: »
    What would be the best option for that junction? I hate the lights there, but a roundabout would be a bit awkward.
    I think that this is one of the few junctions in Ireland that would work with the US style four way stop sign system. Maybe a bigger "squareabout" to stop the right turners.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

I think that this is one of the few junctions in Ireland that would work with the US style four way stop sign system.
    That wouldn't work here because there are too many muppets who wouldn't understand that it was a four way stop - First to arrive, first to go would be way beyond their level of comprehension..... We have no four way stop systems in Ireland - You can't just introduce the first one and expect it to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Long Gone wrote: »
    That wouldn't work here because there are too many muppets who wouldn't understand that it was a four way stop - First to arrive, first to go would be way beyond their level of comprehension..... We have no four way stop systems in Ireland - You can't just introduce the first one and expect it to work.

People would get used to it. Motorways in Ireland had the same problem when first introduced. Long term, people get used to them and use them fine (for the most part). Same story for Metric system.

Of course if it were introduced, id wait before going back into town again for this to have "gelled".

People would get used to it. Motorways in Ireland had the same problem when first introduced. Long term, people get used to them and use them fine (for the most part). Same story for Metric system.

Of course if it were introduced, id wait before going back into town again for this to have "gelled".
    Irish drivers dont obey stop signs most of the time.

Long Gone wrote: »
    It actually worked because there were NO signs. Without a cue (to ignore) each and every driver had to assume that the others on the junction were idiots and drove slowly to avoid crashing.

So in fact that's the way it had been working, without lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

It actually worked because there were NO signs. Without a cue (to ignore) each and every driver had to assume that the others on the junction were idiots and drove slowly to avoid crashing.

So in fact that's the way it had been working, without lights.

That is generally the case when lights are temporarily switched off - everyone is cautious and courteous. That caution and courtesy diminishes over time and one route starts to dominate the other meaning one route will continue to flow freely but the other will be a snarled a lot of the time.

I like the idea of a US-style four way stop. That could actually work well at this junction if implemented correctly. I don't think casually leaving the lights switched off is viable long term - an alternative solution needs to be properly implemented.

Just to note also that many traffic lights around Athlone don't seem to have any intelligence built-in. They are on a rigid sequence and don't adjust to better suit traffic at any given time. There is definite room for improvement in this regard - install plenty of induction loops to sense the traffic, allowing lights to dynamically adjust their sequence and timings to maximise traffic flow.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

my lads just fixed them,thanks for the heads up

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

I used to live in Athlone for years and noticed them particular lights seems to be out of order several times a year, sometimes for weeks on end. Are they jusy ****e traffic lights with parts been replaced or whats the deal with them breaking so much? Admitingly traffic flows better when they are not on.

Same goes for the ones at Genoa, before the Shannon bridge.

Advertisement