Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

4x4 ?

• 27-10-2014 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I'm looking to pick up a Commercial 4x4, I've been looking at a Mitsubishi 3.2 DiD or 2.5 sport. I've heard a lot of bad stuff about the sports. I would mostly be using it on the road the odd time to tow a ifor car transporter, only one or two times every few months really, very small bit of off road maybe. I hear the 3.2 is a lot better on the road and more powerful with not a great deal difference in the mpg to the 2.5 sport, not that mpg would be a big worry anyway. I only have about 3500 to 4000 to play with and a good LC is out of my price. I like the DIds but heard some storys about flywheels and fuel pumps costing near 3 grand to fix on them? I am driving a 2.4 transit (selling) at the mo and looking to use the jeep as more a van/4x4 but with a bit more of a better drive and comfort then the van. If anyone has any input or helpful info it'd be great.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

Go for a 3.2
    I had a 2.5 and found under powered

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭visual

2.5 is too small an engine for any 4x4
    Its also why nearly all of them have moved to 3 litres engines.
    More power same or better mpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭kay 9

3.2 automatic is the way to go. Better towing, nicer drive and no dreaded dmf issue. Best of luck. Make sure the 4WD works in all modes

• Registered Users Posts: 5 centerback5

Cheers guys for the info, I will let you know how i get on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Yawlboy

I had an 08 3.2 Auto - averaged 21MPG!!! The brake calipers tend to seize on them - very expensive to replace. Plus the timing chain can eat through guides - big job to fix - mine was done under warranty at around 80k I think.

I'd seriously recommend trying to get a few more quid and getting a Landcruiser

• Advertisement

Yawlboy wrote: »
    I had an 08 3.2 Auto - averaged 21MPG!!! The brake calipers tend to seize on them - very expensive to replace. Plus the timing chain can eat through guides - big job to fix - mine was done under warranty at around 80k I think.

In getting 25-28mpg. The top timing chain guide is a handy number and only costs 20 euro every 100k miles.

unless the top chain guide fails and the pieces fall down, then its a big job!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

kay 9 wrote: »
    In getting 25-28mpg. The top timing chain guide is a handy number and only costs 20 euro every 100k miles.

and STILL an issue even on the newest ones. :(

i had it go on my 2007 (current model) shogun at just over 100k (with a full main dealer service history) and although i'd never even heard of it, after doing my research and finding out that it's a common problem right back to the mk2's and then approaching mitsubishi about it, they refused to do anything about it.

had the chain guide break and drop the chain down and bent several valves, costing me a fortune to get fixed even though i was literally only doing about 4-5mph at the time pulling into my driveway. lucky i wasn't on a motorway or something, could have been even worse.

I must do mine again soon. For the sake of a few euro to save £££.

21mpg is crazy, Ive done a lot of looking up on site about 3.2's and never heard of anyone getting that bad. You sure she dont need looked over ?

• Advertisement

Why do you think I sold it, now I do have a heavy right foot but commuting 100kms a day to the centre of Cork city was killing me on fuel. I tracked every drop of diesel I put into it on my iphone and 21.3MPG was the average over 6 months.

Why do you think I sold it, now I do have a heavy right foot but commuting 100kms a day to the centre of Cork city was killing me on fuel. I tracked every drop of diesel I put into it on my iphone and 21.3MPG was the average over 6 months.
    That's alot lower than others averages. However the 07-08 version were known to be heavier than the earlier or later models. But 20/21 is very poor. I get 25 towing

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Meso Harney

A pre d4d cruiser?

A pre d4d cruiser?

I only have 4000 at most, not to easy find a cruiser with good miles and from the 04 shape up for that, might get a older shape one but for the money the 3.2 pajero is a lot nicer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭visual

I only have 4000 at most, not to easy find a cruiser with good miles and from the 04 shape up for that, might get a older shape one but for the money the 3.2 pajero is a lot nicer

Buy a jeep grand cherokee 2.7crd
    it will give you good mpg it's a real Jeep that likes off road and motorway driving and with leather heated seats as standard you'll love all the kit these come packed with. 2002 to 2004 years can be picked up for small money.
    I had one for 5 years much more reliable than British 4x4s much nicer than Japanese 4x4s
    It rated to pull 6500 lbs although legally you can't pull that weight on road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

visual wrote: »
    Buy a jeep grand cherokee 2.7crd
    It rated to pull 6500 lbs although legally you can't pull that weight on road.

But 6500lbs is only just 3 tons. Of course you can tow that.

Carry on....

Ya can legally pull 3.5 ton behind a pajero. Great machines too

Advertisement