Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Down the road to somewhere....

Options
  • 02-11-2014 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭

I've started this log in my head on many a run over the last 12 months or so and finally post DCM, it seems as good a time as any to actually do it. My introduction to Boards was via the mentored novices thread last year under the expert guidance of career_move where I picked up invaluable advice. I've also been a lurker on many other threads & training logs gaining further knowledge along the way.

My hope for this log is that it'll keep me honest in my effort & also to get valuable feedback from forum members.

Background - Started running on the treadmill in April 2012 to lose weight. Lost 5 stone & in spring 2013 started road running as I was fed up of the treadmill. Did my first 10k in April 2013 followed shortly afterwards by GLR half. Did DCM that year & came home in 3:28:57. Was injured at the start of this year & it took me a few months to get back to where I was. Decided in June to do DCM again and came home last Monday in 3:18:07.

Goal - My ultimate long term goal is to go sub 3 at some stage. How I'm going to do this I'm not sure. For now I think layering marathon cycle on cycle & see where it takes me is the way to go. Had thought about the Conn ultra in April as a way to improve marathon time also as it seems to have worked for others. I'll decide on a course of action in a few weeks. In the short term I entered the Waterford half today so it'll give me something to aim for post DCM.

For the record pb's to date are

5 mile 33.40 Kilfinnane 2014
    10k 41:22 Coillte Dundrum 2014
    10 mile 71:0x Frank Duffy 2013
    HM 1:33:08 Waterford 2013
    Marathon 3:18:07 DCM 2014

Looking forward to bettering these times into the future!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Best of luck with the log, will be keeping a close eye on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Yessss :D You've cracked!!!!!!
    I'm opening another bottle :D:D

Seriously, great to see this log, it's been a while being asked for :)

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Bulmers74

tang1 wrote: »
    Best of luck with the log, will be keeping a close eye on it.

Cheers Tang. Hope you'll be back on the road soon & we can renew the Clonmel half experience again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Best of luck Bulmers with the training and log.

Was great to meet you finally and I look forward to watching all those times come a tumbling down over the coming months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Bulmers74 wrote: »
    Cheers Tang. Hope you'll be back on the road soon & we can renew the Clonmel half experience again!

You'll be well out of my league by time i get my fat ar$e back on the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Martypk

Hey Bulmers.

I enjoyed reading your report.

Good luck with your log. I hope to drop in from time to time as I try to get back on the DCM trail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Netwerk Errer

Best of luck with the log J!! It'll serve you well and we'll get to see your secret formula.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Best of luck Bulmers. Looking forward to watching your progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Great to see you logging :D Best of luck with it.

Hope the recovery is going well :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Best of luck with the log and your goals.

• Advertisement

Great to see you logging :D Best of luck with it.

Hope the recovery is going well :D

Thanks c_m. Recovery is good - no major fallout to report. Didn't do anything until Saturday as my right hamstring felt a bit heavy. It'll be all easy miles for a while :D

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

Best of luck Bulmers. Any short term goals on the shorter stuff? Or would you try a few 5k's? Guaranteed PB at least:D

Cleanman wrote: »
    Best of luck Bulmers. Any short term goals on the shorter stuff? Or would you try a few 5k's? Guaranteed PB at least:D

Alright T - good to meet you last week. Might try something in December after Waterford HM. A friend of mine is involved in organising a 10k in Newport on Stephens Day & I'll probably do it although it mightn't be the day for a fast time;) On the 5 k front I did do one last July but the course measured about 200m short so must give another one a shot now that I've just about forgotten the pain!

Sat 1st
    5.03 @ 8:59
    First run post DCM - legs feeling fairly good.

Sun 2nd
    6.13 @ 8:56
    Another handy run on an out back route from home.

Mon 3rd
    6.15 @ 8:16
    Did this in Limerick on the way to work parking up in Coonagh going in around town & back out the Condell Road. Pace was a bit on the fast side but it is a relatively flat route. Most of my usual routes around home would include some hills.

Tues 4th
    7.07 @ 8:46
    Out & back route from home before work. Try to get as many runs done in the morning as I can as if the day gets away from me time wise the run is in the bag.

Wed 5th
    8.17 @ 8:27
    In Limerick pre work again taking in the Dock Road, town, Clancy Strand, Condell Road & back. Cracking morning for a run - nice & crisp.

Planned midweek sessions for the next few weeks pre Waterford HM are as follows;
    Week 1: (next week) some mp miles, maybe 2 x 3 miles or 3 x 2 off 2 or 3 minutes recovery.
    Week 2: hmp miles, something like 3, 2 & 2 off 2 or 3 minutes
    Week 3 : 7 hmp miles :eek:
    Week 4: 2 or 3 hmp miles

Will probably keep the lsr between 12-15 miles with weekly total about 45-50 & a few strides in the odd easy run.

Below is the years mileage as at the end of October totaling 1526

Month Miles
    Jan 6
    Feb 0
    Mar 100
    Apr 182
    Jun 207
    Jul 259
    Aug 279
    Sep 276
    Oct 217

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Netwerk Errer

Month Miles
    Jan 6
    Feb 0
    Mar 100
    Apr 182
    Jun 207
    Jul 259
    Aug 279
    Sep 276
    Oct 217

Jaysus man!! that's some running! Give the Kenyan's a chance:D

Jaysus man!! that's some running! Give the Kenyan's a chance:D

HaHa - just lots of easy running!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

HaHa - just lots of easy running!

Had you done any running before March? Or were you on a break/injured?

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Had you done any running before March? Or were you on a break/injured?

Early last December I had a non running operation & around Christmas I went back on the road but ended up doing too much too soon & got injured which put me out for January & February.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Martypk

Month Miles
    Jan 6
    Feb 0
    Mar 100
    Apr 182
    Jun 207
    Jul 259
    Aug 279
    Sep 276
    Oct 217

That`s an impressive step-up from 0 in Feb to 100 in March. I`m not even going to comment on the rest of the year!

I`ve just done 5 short runs over the last 8 days of 2 and 3 miles and until today all was going well. Starting to get pain in the knee again. Back to resting for another few weeks. Hopefully the weight training on the hips and core will improve things.

• Advertisement

Martypk wrote: »
    That`s an impressive step-up from 0 in Feb to 100 in March. I`m not even going to comment on the rest of the year!

I`ve just done 5 short runs over the last 8 days of 2 and 3 miles and until today all was going well. Starting to get pain in the knee again. Back to resting for another few weeks. Hopefully the weight training on the hips and core will improve things.

Alright Marty. Yeah it looks a bit of a dramatic increase alright but during Jan & Feb when I was 'off the road' I had maintained some of my fitness on a cross trainer. Just from memory I think I was probably doing or 4 or 5 sessions a week between 30 & 60 minutes. I suppose it's different for everyone coming back & depends on the injury. Best of luck with the rehab.

Thurs 6th - rest

Fri 7th - 10.37 @ 8:27
    Did this in Limerick after work before heading out for a night on the town. Got caught in a heavy shower in the first couple of miles & thought I wouldn't warm up - but I did.

Sat 8th - 4.47 @ 9:04
    Did this yesterday afternoon on an out & back from home. Thought about bagging it altogether due to a hangover but glad afterwards that I didn't.

Sun 9th - 12.05 @ 8:37
    LSR out & back from home. The 6 miles out have an elevation gain of about 600ft so most of my easy runs are run in a negative split.

The niggle in my ankle which was freaking me out the week before DCM is still hanging around so going to head to the physio during the week & see what he says. It doesn't bother me when running but I can feel it when stationary. No harm to get a rub down anyway. Going to try and get one in around once a month going forward.

I'm dead jealous of those splits you hit on friday. So consistent compared to anything I do :D:D

Also, how many meters in 600ft :D

I'm dead jealous of those splits you hit on friday, so consistent compared to
    anything I do :D:D

martyboy48 wrote: »

Think there's roughly 1 of your units in every 3 of mine ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭overpronator

Just spotted this log now, all the best with it Bulmers, I think there is alot to come from you.

Just spotted this log now, all the best with it Bulmers, I think there is alot to come from you.

Cheers op. Any decision on a spring marathon yet? Will probably do Limerick myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭overpronator

Cheers op. Any decision on a spring marathon yet? Will probably do Limerick myself.

99.99% sure its going to be London again, wont get the email confirmation until December so it wont be absolutely set in stone until then. April seems a world away at this stage. Any ideas what plan you intend to go with?

99.99% sure its going to be London again, wont get the email confirmation until December so it wont be absolutely set in stone until then. April seems a world away at this stage. Any ideas what plan you intend to go with?

Not sure yet. I followed Meno's graduate plan with higher mileage for DCM & it served me well. Might try and incorporate a second weekly session into that plan & see how it goes.

• Advertisement

Mon 10th - 6.58 @ 8:19
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/633612348
    Did this on the way to work - can't say I remember too much about this run now.

Tues 11th - 8.50 @ 8:39
    Out & back from home pre work again.

Wed 12th - 9.08 @ 7:31
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/633612319
    Was working in Dublin & got this done in the Phoenix Park when I was finished. Plan was 2 x 3 mile @ mp with 1 mile easy in between. First session since DCM that wasn't at easy pace and wondered beforehand how it would go. Splits for the pace miles were 7:15, 7:18, 7:19 - 7:22, 7:27, 7:14. Happy enough with how it went. First 3 miles were handy enough as they were net downhill from the Castleknock gate & down the North Road. Did the easy mile in between too fast at 7:45 :rolleyes:. Was blowing a bit in the second last pace mile which was up the Upper Glen Road but picked it up again for the last mile.

Thurs 13th - 5.83 @ 8:12
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/633612307
    As it was lashing rain when I was passing through Limerick I did this around Shannon prior to work. Didn't particularly enjoy it as there were lots of concrete footpaths & road crossings.

Fri 14th - 7.03 @ 8:26
    My standard default easy run - 7 miler out & back from home. Did 5 strides in the last mile.

Sat 15th - 14.15 @ 8:29
    Felt good on this run this morning. Did it on empty as I do on most easy runs. Splits were
    1 9:19.3
    2 8:54.4
    3 8:35.4
    4 8:28.7
    5 8:29.0
    6 8:43.7
    7 8:26.7
    8 8:37.4
    9 8:23.2
    10 8:23.4
    11 8:13.7
    12 8:11.9
    13 8:11.1
    14 7:56.9
    15 1:01.2

Picked up the pace in the last mile as a quick check of the watch suggested I could get home in under 2 hours :rolleyes: It's the little things that make me happy :) Stopped the watch at 1:59:56 :D

Advertisement