Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car Trailer insurance?

• 16-10-2014 7:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭

Apologies if this has been posted before...

Has anybody here experience of getting their car insurer to cover 'towing a trailer'?

I spoke with two insurers today (current insurer and new quote) and got various responses..

Current company - 'we only cover single axle trailers, which have been made by manufacturers, and have a serial number'..

I asked about double-axle trailers... 'we can cover those too' ..'new regulations came in in 2012 so the trailer must have a manufacturer name, serial no etc on it'

I said I thought that only applied to trailers manufacturered after 2012...and the trailer I use was made before 2012.

I was put on hold. He came back after a minute or two and said 'yes we will cover the trailer but it must have a serial number'

New company/quote - 'we will cover single axle, up to 1 ton unladen(??) both attached or unattached to the vehicle'. I ask about double-axle trailers - 'we will cover it too but only when attached to the vehicle'

Puzzling array of answers?!
    + most locally-made trailer (pre-2012) dont have serial numbers?!

Anybody else have definitive answers from their insurance company about trailer towing??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

TBH Silvera I'd hazard a guess that you have probably already received the most 'definitive' answers out there.
    The best I've ever managed to get was "we'll cover the trailer (any trailer) while it's attached to your car, but if it comes adrift then it's your problem".

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

You also need to make sure you've the right class of licence that changed too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

I fitted towbar to my car in January this year.

I rang my insurer (Allianz) to inform them that I fitted towbar (modification), but they told me they don't see it as modification, as my insurance covers me to tow trailers anyway. (and that indeed matches what is written in the policy).
    They said if I wanted the cover for the trailer I'm towing (in case trailer gets damages out of my fault) then it would cost extra and I need to give them details of the trailer, but I wasn't interested in it.
    So I can tow any trailer (within legal weight limits and car specified limits) and I automatically have third party cover to do it. Trailer itself is not covered though so if it's damaged by me, I'll have to cover cost of repairing it out of my pocket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

CiniO wrote: »
    I fitted towbar to my car in January this year.

I rang my insurer (Allianz) to inform them that I fitted towbar (modification), but they told me they don't see it as modification, as my insurance covers me to tow trailers anyway. (and that indeed matches what is written in the policy).
    They said if I wanted the cover for the trailer I'm towing (in case trailer gets damages out of my fault) then it would cost extra and I need to give them details of the trailer, but I wasn't interested in it.
    So I can tow any trailer (within legal weight limits and car specified limits) and I automatically have third party cover to do it. Trailer itself is not covered though so if it's damaged by me, I'll have to cover cost of repairing it out of my pocket.

As a matter of interest....did your insurance company ask you if the towbar was 'professionally' fitted?

Re Trailer insurance....I rang 123.ie today for a new quote and asked about trailer cover...they said I was covered to tow a trailer within my cars legal limit and cover also extended to 'detached cover' (excluded boat trailers, etc ...no mention of car transporter trailers being excluded though!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Silvera wrote: »
    As a matter of interest....did your insurance company ask you if the towbar was 'professionally' fitted?
    It was. Cost me just over 100 quid.
    But insurer didn't ask. They didn't ask either for any certificates fitter gave me.
    In fact they told me they are not interested in fact if my car has or doesn't have a towbar. I though it was bit strange, but that's what it was.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

I think there might be confusion here. Are you looking to insure your trailer for Damage, Fire & Theft, or looking to cover your 3rd party liability while driving with an attached trailer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

oldyouth wrote: »
    I think there might be confusion here. Are you looking to insure your trailer for Damage, Fire & Theft, or looking to cover your 3rd party liability while driving with an attached trailer?

The basic cover - attached and detached (i.e. if it became detached when in use).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Detached cover relates to your liability when it is parked on the side of the road away from your vehicle. If it becomes detached while you are driving, your current TP cover should be sufficient. I think you are asking insurers for the wrong thing, hence the additional premium

Advertisement