Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Golf tdi starting problem

Options
  • 13-10-2014 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

hi i have a golf at home tdi. ARL engine code. i could start it now and there wouldnt be any problem but try again and it could turn over 10 times before starting. I have changed fuel pump. The camshaft was changed and timing belt lately. No faults are coming up. Can anyone shine light on this problem?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

Does the no-start occur only after the car has been switched off for a while? If this is the case, it's probably losing prime due to an air leak between the fuel tank and fuel pump. Over time the rubber in the hoses degrades and can leak.

If it's only happening since the timing belt/camshaft change, it's possible that the fault has originated there. Were the correct lockdown tools used during the belt change? If the valve timing is off, it could cause hard starting.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Meso Harney

When did you last do a flywheel?

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

Could be the ignition coils I'd say, give a lot of trouble on them and the skodas

When did you last do a flywheel?

I'm failing to see how a bad flywheel would cause no/hard starts. Care to elaborate?
    Could be the ignition coils I'd say, give a lot of trouble on them and the skodas

It's a TDI - a diesel. No ignition coils on those :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭ml100

slow starter ?, I had that problem in mine, would start fine when cold but when the engine was hot, it took ages to start, I think the ECU won't start injecting diesel until the engine is turning over at a certain RPM when hot but the starter couldn't turn the engine over fast enough, new starter, problem solved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Those give no trouble at all on the TDI engine ;):p

Chimaera wrote: »
    I'm failing to see how a bad flywheel would cause no/hard starts. Care to elaborate?

Had the same symptoms on a tdi before. Had changed flywheel, but afterwards car would not 'catch' at first turn, sometimes churning for a good while, but still sounded ok. Eventually the starter started to stick when it fired for a moment.

On mondeos and trannies because the starter is below the flywheel, as it breaks up, it bunches the starter too. Elaborated enough for ya??

Had the same symptoms on a tdi before. Had changed flywheel, but afterwards car would not 'catch' at first turn, sometimes churning for a good while, but still sounded ok. Eventually the starter started to stick when it fired for a moment.

On mondeos and trannies because the starter is below the flywheel, as it breaks up, it bunches the starter too. Elaborated enough for ya??

OP mentioned that the car turns over without firing. This suggests everything is fine with the starter/flywheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

It's a TDI - a diesel. No ignition coils on those :rolleyes:

Sorry, thought she were a petrel

OP mentioned that the car turns over without firing. This suggests everything is fine with the starter/flywheel.

Same as one I had, could turn for up to 10 seconds.

As I said in my first reply.

• Advertisement
Advertisement