Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man claims he has the right to live in Kilkenny Castle

Options
  • 10-09-2014 8:39pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭

http://www.kilkennypeople.ie/news/kilkenny-news/walter-claims-his-legal-right-to-live-in-kilkenny-castle-as-a-direct-descendant-of-kings-of-ossory-1-6290114
    A Kilkenny man is claiming that he has a legal right to live in Kilkenny Castle and wants to be housed there as soon as possible.

Walter O’Dunphy from Mooncoin says he is a direct descendant of the O’Donnachda’s, who were the ancient Kings of Ossory and in situ in the castle by the River Nore before Strongbow and the Normans came to Ireland.

Thats like me claiming that my family owned half of Kilkenny before the english invaded Ireland, its just a silly claim and has no legal basis in this or any other country...especially when over 800 years have passed.

Of course if he claims he has the right to live in it then by extension he's claiming some sort of rights and ownership of atleast some or all of the castle and its grounds,

I can see the OPW telling him to go away and rightly so, lets hope he doesn't waste high court time

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭alias no.9

What a gob****e, a self declared republican seeks to have the benefits of an unproven royal lineage bestowed upon him. It's a dictionary he needs rather than a book on ancient kings.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

he hasn't claimed it or charged rent in it till now so can get utterly and totally ****ed the twat

• Subscribers Posts: 41,122 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Go back far enough (i think it's 16 generations) and you'll find we're all related and all can stake a claim on historical figures.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I find it funny he calls himself a republican but then is trying to stake a claim of royal linage as a right to ownership,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

Not that it matters since the Normans built the castle and it's been legally owned by the state but his "evidence" of is links to a 12th kingdom is - my dad told me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

North Korea is a republic too but it hasn't stopped a dynastic succession.

Present that tool with the bill for unpaid property taxes and fines with compounded interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Sounds almost like Freemen logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

The Castle's wiki page makes no mention of the O’Donnachdas. It does say;
    The Anglo-Normans had established a castle in 1173, possibly on the site of an earlier residence of the Mac Giolla Phádraig kings of Osraighe.

In which case "his" castle is gone and he should probably get over it

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭dewdrop

Is Kilkenny having won numerous awards in danger of getting a reputation for protest groups?

dewdrop wrote: »
    Is Kilkenny having won numerous awards in danger of getting a reputation for protest groups?

We certainly won't win the bend over and take it award that so many are eager for.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

FunLover18 wrote: »
    The Castle's wiki page makes no mention of the O’Donnachdas. It does say;

In which case "his" castle is gone and he should probably get over it

Or as his castle is gone the OPW can allow him to sleep in the castle park somewhere.

Of course he won't be let build anything as its against planning regulations, but he can bring his own tent.....but he must take it down each morning before the park opens :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,834 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

"He is willing to go anywhere if the OPW ask him to promote Kilkenny and the castle as a tourist destination,

And while he would like to have the matter resolved amicably he hasn’t ruled out going to the High Court or starting anti-bridge type protest in the Castle and camping out on the Castle Green or chaining himself to the gates."

Funniest thread on boards I've seen in a while. He'd be a serious tourist attraction chained to the gates. Free the O'Donnchada One!"

Funniest thread on boards I've seen in a while. He'd be a serious tourist attraction chained to the gates. Free the O'Donnchada One!"
    Until a Fitzpatrick tells him "feck off ya squatter".

• Registered Users Posts: 10,834 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

catbear wrote: »
    Until a Fitzpatrick tells him "feck off ya squatter".

I'm kind of curious who he thinks will be picking up the tab for the upkeep of the place? He seems to think he's offering the opw a pretty good deal only asking for a few rooms and a kitchen. It'd be much funnier if they called his bluff and handed him the keys altogether.

I mean, I presume his current job involves standing on a corner in mooncoin holding a dunnes stores bag shouting at traffic, so it'll be a fairly major escalation of his job responsibilities.

Advertisement