Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time to Say Farewell - Last day on Earth

Options
  • 31-07-2014 7:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭

I don't post much but had to share that today I have to say farewell to my best friend of 9 years, Taz.

He became blind suddenly within the last month or so and was diagnosed with IMR, but was too far along to save his sight. I just still had a sneaking suspicion that something else was wrong and brought him back to the vet as he was gaining weight, which they had originally associated with the disease.

So yesterday they did an ultrasound and rang me with the bad news, they found a large malignant tumour on his spleen. Again too late to do anything for him. Thankfully he isn't in pain and was given some time to say his goodbyes.
    So I brought him home yesterday and spoilt him rotten. We aren't able to do some of the things we love to do together for fear of the tumour rupturing so instead we just spent time enjoying each other's company and having lots of cuddles.

We took a goofie selfie:

Hh9zxd.jpg

We fell asleep eating our favourite chewy treat
    iG0VtI.jpg

We sat together (while silly mum cried) in his bed for the last time

G5IS4x.jpg

I'm absolutely heartbroken to be losing my best friend, we did everything together over the years, he never left my side and saw me through some of the hardest times of my life.

Rest in Peace when you get to Rainbow Bridge my dearest friend Taz... I will miss you very very much.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭NSAman

Sorry, this has to be one of the hardest things to do.

Last year I had to make the decision for my guy. 8 years old, a rescue who started life in a terrible way, having been terribly abused and arrived with deep cuts to his nose and terrified. He never left my side for those 7 years I had him. He went everywhere with me, everyone knew him and loved him. A true companion and someone who everyone loved. Never unhappy always wagging his tail and smiling. He developed a nasal cancer that spread to his brain and despite radiotherapy and chemo it was an aggressive cancer.

Haven't cried that much even though my dad died last year as well. He is missed daily. I knew letting him sleep was the correct thing to do, he told me in his own way.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,024 ✭✭✭✭tk123

RIP Taz. Well done OP for realizing something was wrong and making the toughest decision before he was in any pain. Hugs OP :( xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

tk123 wrote: »
    RIP Taz. Well done OP for realizing something was wrong and making the toughest decision before he was in any pain. Hugs OP :( xxx

Thanks for the post. He's still with us, but will be heading off on his journey very soon. Trying to be strong for him, dreading the trip to the vet... And the trip, home without him,

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭JanaMay

I'm very sorry OP. I had to do the same 2 years ago. Still miss her every day. Try to take comfort from the fact that you're doing the best thing for him. You wouldn't like to see him in pain. He's lucky to have had a wonderful companion like you, right up to his final moments. My heart goes out to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭peter bermingham

I had to do the same 3 weeks ago i was the hardest decision i every had to make but at the end of the day i was doing the best for him they bring so much joy to your life just take it easy and look after yourself. Also its good to have family and friends around at a time like this
    Peter

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭falabo

what a great life he had, this little fella was so lucky to have you. My heart goes to you. Think of all the good times you had, you did the kindest thing for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭morgana

Be strong. You are doing the right and the hardest thing ever. My heart goes out to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

Oh I feel your pain. In the last 2 years I have had to bring my dads 2 to the vet for the final time and 4 weeks my beloved Springer Spaniel took ill with an infection that proved too much for him.
    I cried pretty much solid for a week after I lost my Boe and 4 weeks on I still cry regularly and miss him more than words can express.

I went back to work the Mon after I lost my boe ( he passed on the sat) and it was not the right thing to do. I just sat at my desk and cried which as tough as it was for me was also hard on my colleagues many of whom could not understand why I was so upset. Allow yourself the time to cry and grieve and ignore anybody who says you are over reacting, our dogs are family and losing them hurts!

Sleep well Taz and hugs to your family xx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Oh I feel your pain. In the last 2 years I have had to bring my dads 2 to the vet for the final time and 4 weeks my beloved Springer Spaniel took ill with an infection that proved too much for him.
    I cried pretty much solid for a week after I lost my Boe and 4 weeks on I still cry regularly and miss him more than words can express.

I went back to work the Mon after I lost my boe ( he passed on the sat) and it was not the right thing to do. I just sat at my desk and cried which as tough as it was for me was also hard on my colleagues many of whom could not understand why I was so upset. Allow yourself the time to cry and grieve and ignore anybody who says you are over reacting, our dogs are family and losing them hurts!

Sleep well Taz and hugs to your family xx

Think this is really good advice, give yourself as much time as you need, some people understand, some people don't - ignore those people who don't.

I still remember having my first dog put to sleep when I was 21 (that was in the 80s...!!) and my dads dog pts in 2002.

9 years and 8 years, both so young, my oldest is about 8ish now, I cannot even think about it.

Look after yourselves both of the OP's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Thinking of you op.

RIP Taz. xx

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Goodbye Taz. Good dog.

So My lil brown bear has left us, it was so sad, the vet knew him well, and shed a tear himself along with the head nurse who shed more, who sat with me while he passed in a deep sleep in my arms. The room was so full of love. We remembered the silly things he used to do on visits there, like running for the door and ignoring the vet in case he would have to stay in, he was such a brave soul. The vet said he was really a glass half full sort of fella... and he truly was... he was my rock.

He was only 9 too. Coming home to the empty house without his happy little face was very tough.. I really miss him terribly.

I don't know what to do with work, but I will figure that one out.

Thanks everyone for the lovely messages and advice, I really appreciate them.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭bluejelly

I'm very sorry for your sad loss, it's such an awful time when your best friend passes. I lost mine 6 weeks ago and still find it very upsetting. Take care

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Sorry to hear. We lost our little fella of almost 17 years there a few months back, really feel for you OP, it must have been heartbreaking. Touching tribute to your little friend. RIP Taz. X

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

So sorry to read this Kamili, very sorry for your sad loss.
    I feel your pain, had to do it myself 5 months ago. Worst day of my life.

I had my 4 year old great dane Henry put to sleep on a Saturday and I went to work on the Monday, I had no choice, my employer would not be understanding about this sort of thing. I spent Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday bursting into tears at random times. Thursday was a bit better but then Friday was horrific because I was feeling so far away from Henry at that point, nearly a week. I cried all the following weekend and by the following Monday I had managed to get control of the crying. What made this crying period so difficult was the "it's just a dog" attitude of my colleagues and I didn't receive much comfort or support in work when I was falling apart.

Take care xo

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Esterhase

I'm absolutely heartbroken for you OP. :(
    Fortunately I have never been in your position, but I may be someday in the next 10 years and even the idea of it is deeply upsetting. It'll be a very hard couple of days spending the long weekend without him, even though you know you did right by him. Be sure to take extra care of yourself xx

Woke up this morning expecting to hear his little paws or the jingle of his tags on his collar but he wasn't there. Came down to the kitchen to find it empty and no happy face there waiting for me.

Thanks again to everyone for the lovely comments. The weekend sure will be tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭peter bermingham

I know how you feel every day i come into the house i still expect to see the little man coming out to meet me. Go visit family friends that understand the way your feeling its not to take your mind off things but sometimes it makes it that little bit easier to be around people that understand how your feeling. He was your best friend and will be their in your heart forever
    RIP little man TAZ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Aw poor Taz! You did the right thing by him, OP. He had the best life he could possibly have.

RIP little man. See you at Rainbow Bridge! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I'm so sorry, it's a terrible thing to lose a pet, it's a member of the family no matter how old, big small or whatever. I still miss my hammie Isabella. My thoughts are with you OP. You did the right thing for him, even though it's awful for you.

I couldn't bear to have seen him in pain, but I just hope he knows how much I loved him! He was one of the good guys, was hard to let him go but I knew I had to...

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Uberbeamerman

When I was about 7 months old my parents bought a dog. He was a shetland sheepdog cross of sorts. We grew up together, and for about 16 years I couldn't remember a day without him. When the end came, it was sudden and unexpected. We had come back from holidays about a month, and I remember deleting a picture of him I had on my phone (I took one of him before we left just in case). About a week later he started to get sick and when we brought him to the vet we got the dreaded news that it was time (his kidneys). So we sedated him, brought him home and the vet came out after he had finished work to help my little buddy pass on.

Some people felt bad when I told them about the age difference, and remarked about how he must have been like a brother to me...but the truth is he wasn't "like" a brother, he was my brother and I still miss him (getting a bit blurry eyed typing this). OP It'll take time for the emotions to die down but all you can do is take your time. The one comfort I got with my lad was that we had a great time together and that I was able to help him when he needed it most.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 colga100

My thoughts are with you, I had to do this two years ago, it wrenched my heart out. Just reading your post has brought it all back. Only dog lovers understand that very special bond and the incredible love a dog gives. My only advice is - allow yourself to grieve. You are loosing a special friend. You are giving taz the greatest gift of all freedom from pain, and that is unconditional love..

Advertisement