Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork - Rebel County

Options
  • 18-07-2014 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

I was told by a self thought historian and the person's history was exceptional and knew more than what I knew and thought me a lot of things about Ireland.

He said though that County Cork was known as the 'Royal County' before it became known as the 'Rebel County'. Is this true?

Does anyone have any idea at all about this I can't find anything about it I do know that it became the Rebel county at the 14th or 15th century during King Henry 7 reign.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I never heard of it myself, but I do know that in Confederate times Cork was a royalist/parliamentarian stronghold

confederate-wars-map.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Cork became known as the rebel county due to siding with an usurper to the throne called Perkin Warbeck, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perkin_Warbeck

Later the desmond rebellions and the pivotal role of the county in the war of independence just cemented the nickname.

I never heard of it myself, but I do know that in Confederate times Cork was a royalist/parliamentarian stronghold

Cork was parliamentary (until Charles's execution) while I think Dublin was royalist but it was the city and the walled settler towns rather then most of the county.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 tsloa1980

I can't find anyone to confirm it unless it was named the Royal county for a very brief spell but it is only when someone convinces you even with their extensive knowledge on history that it was called the Royal county maybe even after it was called the rebel county unless he confused it with it being a 'Royalist' county, regardless, I will use your statement as backup to my belief that it was never known as the 'Royal County'.

I just caught the last post that Cork was Parliamentary and not Royalist so that rules that idea that it could be Royalist. There is absolutely no indication to refer Cork to being Royal in any way so.

• Advertisement

Cork was both, Baron Inchiquin changed sides from Royalist to Parliamentarian and then back to Royalist after Knockanuss and the peace treaty between royalists and confederates. The garrison of Cork City also changed back to Parliamentarian at the very end too.

Royalist and confederates. That's a peace treaty between British Royalty and Irish self rule?

It must of been in the time frame of the English civil war.

In the heavy defeats of Dungan's Hill and Knockanuss in 1647 the Confederates lost 2 out of their 3 field armies and militarily were almost finished, the Royalists had lost the first English Civil War and were planning with the Scots to start another one, so a peace treaty was in both sides favour. It wasn't universally accepted though, the last confederate field army under O'Neill refused to until too late, and as noted before the garrison of Cork turned against it at the end.

But I don't think it's all that plausible that a few years where they swapped back and forth would be enough to give them a nickname, but that's all I can think of at the moment, well the Munster Plantations too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

I seem to remember that Cromwell over-wintered in Cork during his campaign here and south Cork was something of a stronghold of parliamentary factions.

I always thought the 'rebel' moniker attached to Cork with the establishment of the Munster Republic?

Anyway, they should really be the Royal County now.......they did take fondly to that lady with the nice hat who came shopping........;)
    Queen+Elizabeth+II+Queen+Elizabeth+II+Historic+Fg92LoFfVr7l.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 ParsleyQueen

Jawgap wrote: »
    I seem to remember that Cromwell over-wintered in Cork during his campaign here and south Cork was something of a stronghold of parliamentary factions.

I always thought the 'rebel' moniker attached to Cork with the establishment of the Munster Republic?

Anyway, they should really be the Royal County now.......they did take fondly to that lady with the nice hat who came shopping........;)

Must be the English market (?)

Jawgap wrote: »

Anyway, they should really be the Royal County now......

Cork started as parliamentary and strangely switched sides when things were going well for the parliamentarians and then was taken by Cromwells forces, not sure if he ever visited. The rebel title comes from supporting a pretender to the throne in the 15th century percy warbeck and then I guess stuck with the numerous Desmond rebellions in the 16th century.

We will stick with rebel, would hate to take Meath's title off them when they dont seem to be able to gain any other.

Thats the English market alright, theres an Irish market too - the coal quay but more of a mini moore street.

Advertisement