Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can you deal with the heat?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

I can deal with it during the day but can't bear it at night - one leg out of the bed, turn over then the other out doesn't work for me(even with the window open). Can't wait for the storms forecast for Saturday- if you can believe them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

I'm darkish skinned, so sunburn etc isn't a problem, but sitting in the jeep today waiting for a place to open after lunchtime(yeah, the feckers, in this day and age...) the dash readout temp gauge was at 31'c, it was pretty damn hot for Ireland.

• Administrators Posts: 54,091 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

It's not even *that* hot - wouldn't say the heat at the moment is particularly remarkable.

Anyway - heat is great. Beats rain and cold every day. The more the sun shines the better it is.

• Administrators Posts: 54,091 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I'm darkish skinned, so sunburn etc isn't a problem, but sitting in the jeep today waiting for a place to open after lunchtime(yeah, the feckers, in this day and age...) the dash readout temp gauge was at 31'c, it was pretty damn hot for Ireland.

I really don't think it reached anywhere near 31 degrees today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭bobrawn20

awec wrote: »

Car temps read 6 or 7 degrees over constantly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

I used to think I couldn't hack the heat. Moved to Canada 5 years ago and very quickly realised that the mid 20s isn't anything close to being hot. Now I'm fine with anything up to around 31-33, over that and it starts getting a bit much. Hit 42 for a few days one of my first summers here - that was tough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

You know what they say. if you can't stand the heat. Get out of the kitchen.

... i'll just grab my coat :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

xxmeabhxx wrote: »
    because there's no a/c, you have to open all your windows

opening your windows when it's hot outside just lets the hot air in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

I really wish I could enjoy the weather like seemingly most other people can, but it just saps the energy from me.
    My absolute favorite type of weather is when it is fresh and sunny, where you'd need a light jacket but it is still not too cold. You usually get those days at the end of spring or the beginning of autumn.

Can't wait for Autumn :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

They said I was mad. They're not laughing now!! See image below:

Like to browse the internet in Bed. Don't like small laptop screens, crappy laptop keyboards, crappy laptop touchpads. Definitely don't like oven roasted balls from Laptop. So I constructed the 'Bed Station' early last Autumn. Too late for last years great Summer but I had the foresight to include a 200mm PC fan on a bendable gooseneck stalk which has paid massive dividends this Summer. I angle it such that part of the airstream catches my face and keeps the Pillow dry and cold. No more flipping pillows over every 2 minutes trying to find a cold spot!! The bulk of the airstream flows down my neck and along my back. Pure heaven the last few weeks and not one single night of muggy sweaty tossing and turning!!

awec wrote: »

No, that was what the car gauge was reading in direct sunlight. Highest I have ever seen it go. I doubt it is that accurate, but as I said, that was the highest it has gone so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭A Greedy Algorithm

It is warmer than normal but i don't think its really that warm. I'd love if it was really really hot for a few weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

I love hot weather! Today I met a friend for lunch and it was lovely; sitting in a little courtyard in a sundress. We don't get enough of it in Ireland so it's nice to make the most of it.

But then I had to go to work, in a hotel that has the heating on 24/7. Wearing a waistcoat, shirt, tie and black pants. I felt disgusting!

TL;DR: Hot weather is lovely when you're off. Not so lovely to work in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

UCDVet wrote: »
    What really annoys me about the nice weather is how everyone feels the need to stand outside. I mean, okay, fair enough, that's a silly thing to be annoyed by; but I'm a shallow person I guess.

Every day, M-F, I ride my crappy bicycle into my crappy job. I sit at my crappy desk and I do crappy work. Except for about 45 minutes. I leave my crappy desk and I go and get lunch. Lunch isn't great, but it's not bad either.

When it's cold, I get lunch.
    When it's raining, I get lunch.
    When it's windy, I get lunch.

But then a sunny day comes along and, everywhere I look, it's people. PEOPLE EVERYWHERE! I mean, where did they all come from? They seem disorientated, perhaps by the light....staggering about in a zombie like state. Large groups of them just 'stop' and stand in places. Sometimes they sit down. Just standing there.

The restaurants that are normally empty are now overflowing with people. A lot of them don't seem to understand how restaurants work. 'How many?' is met with a blank stare, followed by 30 seconds of counting on fingers....often with a bit of a story, '......how many? OH, yes, how many are going to be eating. That's right - this is a restaurant. Well, let's see, it's me and Emma, and her boyfriend, that's three, but there are two more coming! So, three and two, that makes five. Yes, five of us!'.

Getting home from work isn't much better. When it's hot, everyone has to stand around outside. Preferably with alcohol, right? So every 3rd block, there is some pub with far too many people standing around outside, spilling out into the road.

I guess my life is pretty good if this is my biggest complaint, but really.....I don't get it. It's just sunlight.
    And then you woke up and realised you were in Ireland :rolleyes:

bobrawn20 wrote: »
    Car temps read 6 or 7 degrees over constantly

No they don't, if you car is stopped in the sun for a few hours it will read higher by 3-4 degrees when you start it but returns to normal outside tempt when you start driving.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Calibos wrote: »
    They said I was mad. They're not laughing now!! See image below:

Like to browse the internet in Bed. Don't like small laptop screens, crappy laptop keyboards, crappy laptop touchpads. Definitely don't like oven roasted balls from Laptop. So I constructed the 'Bed Station' early last Autumn. Too late for last years great Summer but I had the foresight to include a 200mm PC fan on a bendable gooseneck stalk which has paid massive dividends this Summer. I angle it such that part of the airstream catches my face and keeps the Pillow dry and cold. No more flipping pillows over every 2 minutes trying to find a cold spot!! The bulk of the airstream flows down my neck and along my back. Pure heaven the last few weeks and not one single night of muggy sweaty tossing and turning!!

On a genuine note be careful with the fan as a constant stimulus for your nerves can cause a facial paralysis of sorts called Bell's palsy.

Dermighty wrote: »
    On a genuine note be careful with the fan as a constant stimulus for your nerves can cause a facial paralysis of sorts called Bell's palsy.

And don't whatever you do, aim it any lower...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Love it but the bagpeel is uncomfortable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

29c today, 32c forecast for tomorrow - tis great apart from turning into a giant ball of sweat on the tube! :pac:

• Advertisement

Sam Kade wrote: »
    No they don't, if you car is stopped in the sun for a few hours it will read higher by 3-4 degrees when you start it but returns to normal outside tempt when you start driving.

My car temp read at 30 whilst driving today. It wasn't remotely close to that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

Can you deal with the heat?

Heat I find uncomfortable, whereas the warmth we're experiecing at the minute is lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭A Greedy Algorithm

I've always wondered what REALLY hot weather would be like. As in 45+.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Snake

Dress appropriately and it'll be fine! That said if you work in a cafe I bet you wear black..why do they all wear black

So if they spill something they don't stain the uniform

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Ditch

" From Kintore East to Yuendemu the western desert lives and breathes in forty five degrees ..... "

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭guppy

thelad95 wrote: »
    I've just come from a shift at a café and I'm sitting here just about to hop in the shower in a pool of sweat. My uniform stinks and is drenched with sweat. I have a headache from dehydration and my arms and face feel like they're sunburnt. Basically, my message is I just can't deal with heat, my body is not equipped to do it. I'm off to have a shower and put my head in the fridge for a couple of hours.

People of AH, can you deal with the heat?

Nope. I sat in the staff canteen for a half hour and wanted a shower afterwards, I don't know how the staff deal with the heat in there at all.

I spent most of my 2 week holiday in the shade with factor 50 on me. Had a great time, but so happy to be home where I'm not sticky and uncomfortable constantly. Much prefer cooler temps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

One of the things I've noticed about sunshine is it seems to make people want to climb on things for some reason. Soon as it's sunny I start noticing people sitting on roofs, jumping off walls and stuff. That last patch of good weather I was sitting upstairs in the café at the corner of Eyre Square, nearly got a heart attack when I glanced outside and there were a rake of teenagers sitting on top of the public toilets opposite. There are trees overgrowing it so their faces were just appearing out of the branches

I'd recommend you go back to hash. The skunk seems to get to you :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

I stood in ~42c for over an hour at the border crossing between Cyprus/Turkey getting a visa. At that temp, without shade, it feels like when you stand too close to a bonfire...like your skin is going to melt. Except of course that you can't just take a few steps back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

Ive lived in hot countries and even though it was hotter there it was very bearable. I was able to run outside, i wasn't a pool of sweat all the time. It was a nice, dry, heat.

Here, anything above 25 is heavy and repressive. Its the humidity. Its awful. My hay fever is killing me, the air stinks. Its like being jn a giant plastic bag!

Don't like Irish heat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

Can't stand the heat.

Apart from Starsky & Hutch.. those cats are cool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Indestructable

Can't stand the heat.

Apart from Starsky & Hutch.. those cats are cool.

tits

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

They complain about the heat in the summer and the cold in the winter, can mother nature ever win.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Steodonn

They complain about the heat in the summer and the cold in the winter, can mother nature ever win.

Now we can do both in the same day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

This sums it all up nicely....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Utter downpour out there, feels like it has dropped 5 degrees. Yay!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Shane-KornSpace

Love the heat! We only get it for a short time, so get over it! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

i think folks are confusing the heat with humidity, it's not hot here its humid. I had friends over from southern italy once who couldn't hack the humidity here at all, and they are used to 30+ for months on end, yet couldn't breath here in june at 25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

RobAMerc wrote: »
    i think folks are confusing the heat with humidity, it's not hot here its humid. I had friends over from southern italy once who couldn't hack the humidity here at all, and they are used to 30+ for months on end, yet couldn't breath here in june at 25

Yeah, you're right. If we had dry heat it would be ten times more comfortable than the muggy soup we've had lately. Humidity sucks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Can't stand Irish heat. Invested in an air conditioner when I moved back from the States and although I only use it for around a month per year it's close to the best money I ever spent.

• Advertisement

My car temp read at 30 whilst driving today. It wasn't remotely close to that.

Well your car is telling you lies then :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

I hate the heat with a vengeance. I can happily wear a tee-shirt in mid winter and I'm just nice and cool while everyone else is crying complaining that it's too cold. I hope it fecking snows soon.

Why anyone likes to go around all day sweating in high humidity is beyond me. The heat/humidity in Ireland is just too much, it's an irritant. Give me a cool breeze anyday over this ****e.

Roll on autumn :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

It's been like this here for the last few days. Brutal heat especially in the afternoons.

gramar wrote: »
    It's been like this here for the last few days. Brutal heat especially in the afternoons.

Nah, if it was that hot 39°c I would have to leave the country to colder climes. That is just not acceptable. Way too hot. I'm going to spend next summer in Iceland. I think I might be originally from there because I like the cold much more.

How do people work all day in that heat in-doors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

No, I don't like it. I can handle a fine, sunny Summer's day, but this damp humid crap really pisses me off and makes me wish it was -15. I don't understand these tropical fish who profess to like it. How do they not, like, die and stuff when it gets properly cold?? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

A few days of half decent weather and the eskimos are out in force. Fecking whinging shower of sh1tes:mad:

Irish newsflash: It wont last. It never lasts.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I can deal with anything up to around 40-45°C but it's high humidity that I hate.

Right now, it's 31°C here at noon and that's fine but the 80% humidity is killing me.

dodzy wrote: »
    A few days of half decent weather and the eskimos are out in force. Fecking whinging shower of sh1tes:mad:

Irish newsflash: It wont last. It never lasts.

I could never understand why folk love being drenched in sweat all day from high humidity, how can anyone like it. There is nothing wrong with a sunny day and a cool breeze, that is not too bad, but this very high humidity is just horrible, I just cannot understand why folk like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

Dunno what you are all moaning about, unless it's been sizzling elsewhere in the country, but in Dublin it's just been nice out. Nothing more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Heat isn't a problem, high humidity is.

I do avoid going outside at the moment though but then it is 40C+ here at the moment.

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Well your car is telling you lies then :)

Well yeah, that's what I said

• Advertisement
Advertisement