Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2016????

Options
  • 18-03-2014 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

if Fine Gael are re- elected back in to power can you see them closing more barracks around the country or is it just me.I would like anyones opinion on this matter who knows alot more than i do. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

if Fine Gael are re- elected back in to power can you see them closing more barracks around the country or is it just me.I would like anyones opinion on this matter who knows alot more than i do. Thanks

Its not really about what party is in power.

Its about what is recommended by the general staff & DOD/DOF officials.

I think there is a white paper of future army needs being drawn up which will outline the path the brass want to go down.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,370 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Its not really about what party is in power.

Its about what is recommended by the general staff & DOD/DOF officials.

I think there is a white paper of future army needs being drawn up which will outline the path the brass want to go down.

Supposed to be out later this year or early next year i believe

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭freethearmy

i would say they are holding off until they finalise what is happening the 1st batch of pre 94 yellow packs that are due out next april...when that is out anything could happen

i would say they are holding off until they finalise what is happening the 1st batch of pre 94 yellow packs that are due out next april...when that is out anything could happen
    yeah interesting times ahead

heard from pdforra rep today shatter wont engage with them at all...not looking good

• Advertisement

asked pdffora rep today on any word on pre 94 and was told shatter wont engage in talks !!!!!

They want all old contract members out

Reggie. wrote: »
    They want all old contract members out

looking that way sad way to be made retired at 38 :confused::confused::confused:

looking that way sad way to be made retired at 38 :confused::confused::confused:

Same boat myself but if the pre 94s get booted none of us have a chance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭triskell

yeah retire at 38 with a full pension, what's sad about that? and you can still work. yeah it's terrible position tobe in:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Hedgemeister

triskell wrote: »
    yeah retire at 38 with a full pension, what's sad about that? and you can still work. yeah it's terrible position tobe in:rolleyes:

More mis-information re military affairs.
    There's no full pension for 21 yrs Service, but there IS a partial pension after that time.
    It's part of the contract between the soldier and the State.
    The soldier gives his Country twenty one years of his/her life - full time - and, if he/she gives satisfactory Service, Mother Ireland gives him/her a partial pension in return.
    But shure nobody begrudges an old soldier his/her pension?

There's no full pension for 21 yrs Service, but there IS a partial pension after that time.
    The soldier gives his Country twenty one years of his/her life - full time - and, if he/she gives satisfactory Service, Mother Ireland gives him/her a partial pension in return.
    But shure nobody begrudges an old soldier his/her pension?[/QUOTE

yeah you're right nobody begrudges an old solider his dues, but it's hardly right for a 38 year old to be drawing a pension, partial or otherwise for the next 27 or 29 years depending on the relevant retirement age. nearly as bad as TD's in the Dail for a short number of years and getting a pension
    27+ years is a sizable chunk for mother Ireland to be paying out when that same money could be spent on the existing forces.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 spark23

The PRE-1994 are safe until they're 60 years old, its the POST-1994 entrants that are due to be discharged in april 2015, false information leads to confusion!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Hedgemeister

triskell wrote: »
    But shure nobody begrudges an old soldier his/her pension?[/QUOTE

yeah you're right nobody begrudges an old solider his dues, but it's hardly right for a 38 year old to be drawing a pension, partial or otherwise for the next 27 or 29 years depending on the relevant retirement age. nearly as bad as TD's in the Dail for a short number of years and getting a pension
    27+ years is a sizable chunk for mother Ireland to be paying out when that same money could be spent on the existing forces.

Well then, let them change the contract.

I think they have made a good start to changing the contracts. it's a lot more difficult to do the full 21 now, you need to be doing the courses and proving your worth. instead of just of keeping your head down and punching in the time. it had to be done the amount of ahem, larger soldiers was unreal for a professional army.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 spark23

The contracts have merit for a younger fitter more proactive soldier/defence force but it is hard to meet the requirements due to lack of overseas appointments currently and also the glut of pre 1994 individuals who for the next ten years will be blocking the promotion channels until they age out or discharged on medical grounds. Arguably the biggest problem with the post 94 contract is that it wasn't introduced sooner or applied retrospectively

spark23 wrote: »
    The contracts have merit for a younger fitter more proactive soldier/defence force but it is hard to meet the requirements due to lack of overseas appointments currently and also the glut of pre 1994 individuals who for the next ten years will be blocking the promotion channels until they age out or discharged on medical grounds. Arguably the biggest problem with the post 94 contract is that it wasn't introduced sooner or applied retrospectively

I agree

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭earlytobed

How can you change an employment contract and apply it retrospectively?
    Pre 1994 have what they have.
    It may seem unfair to Post 1994 personnel but thats the way it is

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭FANTAPANTS

still no word on the contracts up next april was suposed to be a statement released at end of april and nothing

Advertisement