Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Political Compass

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Kiwi in IE

My results were:

Economic Left/Right: -3.62
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.33

• Registered Users Posts: 9,411 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Forgive me but I think we might have discussed this before, interesting to see any changes though! Was slightly off centre then. Gimme a sec...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I've done this 3 times now and my results are fairly consistent:

Economic Left/Right: -6.88
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.90

TheChizler wrote: »
    Forgive me but I think we might have discussed this before, interesting to see any changes though! Was slightly off centre then. Gimme a sec...

Sorry didn't check old threads before posted. I did this years ago and just came across it again. Don't think I've changed much in 10 years or so. Somewhere near Ghandi and Nelson Mandela. ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Bottom right corner again

• Advertisement

Pherekydes wrote: »
    I've done this 3 times now and my results are fairly consistent:

Economic Left/Right: -6.88
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.90
    bluewolf wrote: »

Anarchists! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,411 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Kiwi in IE wrote: »
    Sorry didn't check old threads before posted. I did this years ago and just came across it again. Don't think I've changed much in 10 years or so. Somewhere near Ghandi and Nelson Mandela. ;)
    No bods! Always interesting to do again. I've moved down since last time, -2.12 left right and -4.51 lib auth.

Someone get graphing!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,843 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Here's me:

pcgraphpng.php?ec=-4.50&soc=-6.77

TheChizler wrote: »
    Someone get graphing!

OK done it and added to OP. Will update as people add their co ordinates (as time permits).

How did you add the graph PopePalpatine? Is it because I am on phone or technogically challenged that I can't seem to do it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

I'd expect most of us to cluster in the middle of the liberal/libertarian block tbh.

pcgraphpng.php?ec=-3.25&soc=-4.82

Economic Left/Right: -3.25
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.82

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

and me
    pcgraphpng.php?ec=-5.62&soc=-6.51

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

More Authoritarian than you lot but no more left

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Turtwig.

turt-wig turtwig!

pcgraphpng.php?ec=-4.50&soc=-7.44

Economic Left/Right: -4.50
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.44

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

bluewolf wrote: »
    Calibos wrote: »
    More Authoritarian than you lot but no more left

Tell us yer numbers so we can add ye. :)

Edit: nm I just guessed based on what you said. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

As I get older I'm moving further left and libertarian. I expect to be completely in the bottom left box in about 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,943 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Economic Left/Right: -5.25
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.72

Wow, wouldn't consider myself left at all but I'm probably a commie by American standards.

Deeply socially libertarian (i.e. personal morality, not economics) but believe in strong regulation of corporations, that part doesn't seem to show up in the results.

So, who didn't tick 'strongly disagree' to all the questions in the religion section :p

Life ain't always empty.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

The more I read about corporations and govt regulation and how it was failed monopolists trying to get more regulation to protect themselves, the more right I'm going.
    http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCsQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.daviddfriedman.com%2FThe_Machinery_of_Freedom_.pdf&ei=notPU7vjE66u7AbUtoHQDA&usg=AFQjCNGPz2MMvkCqQduhku6vq0AKhFxPUg&bvm=bv.64764171,d.ZGU

Mentioned US steel also
    wiki quote The federal government attempted to use federal antitrust laws to break up U.S. Steel in 1911, but that effort ultimately failed. Time and competitors have, however, accomplished nearly the same thing.[citation needed] In its first full year of operation, U.S. Steel made 67 percent of all the steel produced in the United States. One hundred years later, its shipments accounted for only about 8 percent of domestic consumption

interesting read

So questions like this "A genuine free market requires restrictions on the ability of predator multinationals to create monopolies." - strongly disagree.

lol
    I'm on the second square up from the very bottom but still over on the right

Economic Left/Right: 9.75
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.79

• Registered Users Posts: 26,060 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Subtle glide there from measuring USS's share of steel produced in the US at the start of the period to their share of steel consumed in the US at the end. These are not comparable figures, and the contrast between the 67% figure and the 8% figure probably tells us more about the massive contraction of the US steel production industry than it does about the dominance or otherwise of that industry by USS.

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Subtle glide their from measuring USS's share of steel produced in the US at the start of the period to their share of steel consumed in the US at the end. These are not comparable figures, and the contrast between the 67% figure and the 8% figure probably tells us more about the massive contraction of the US steel production industry than it does about the dominance or otherwise of that industry by USS.

Yeah I wanted to quote the book itself which does a nice analysis of monopolies and all but the pdf is blocked at work, which is why I copied the google link. So I took it from wiki which is clearly all "citation needed"

I'm not sure that being less in demand on domestic consumption vs competitors tells us anything about steel overall contracting though and it goes into more detail in the wiki

he Corporation, as it was known on Wall Street,[4] always distinguished itself to investors by virtue of its size, rather than for its efficiency or creativeness during its heyday. In 1901, it controlled two-thirds of steel production.[4] Because of heavy debts taken on at the company's formation — Carnegie insisted on being paid in gold bonds for his stake — and fears of antitrust litigation, U.S. Steel moved cautiously. Competitors often innovated faster, especially Bethlehem Steel, run by U.S. Steel's former first president, Charles M. Schwab. U.S. Steel's share of the expanding market slipped to 50 percent by 1911.[4]

The point is being big doesn't mean you get to be in charge of everything as people seem to fear, not in industry when there is nothing (assuming no regulation propping up high barriers) stopping anyone else popping up and doing the same thing

Anyway I can edit or post better when I can quote the book itself I think. I was just saying it's an interesting read indeed

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

My results

Economic Left/Right: -1.38
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.82

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

Economic Left/Right: -5.62
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.77

Hmm. I obviously need to improve my theistic fascist tendencies.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭redfacedbear

I think there's a trend emerging

Economic -4.25
    Libertarian -5.18

Strange - I always describe my economic outlook as much more centreist than my social outlook. Not much of a difference here.

I wonder if it's the US bias of the site that's skewing things or if my views have shifted? Certainly after the economic crisis of the last few years I'm probably far more in favour of Government regulation and oversight than I was a few years ago.

I actually answered a few of the questions a lot more conservatively than my true views because of the way they were worded and the inability to differentiate between variable situations. For example I answered agree to the question about people who are able and refuse to work not expecting to get social welfare. When I read the question I immediately got a picture in my head of a thug who spends all day alternating between bookie/pub/chipper (the are quite a few in the nearest town to me). However when I think about it I actually don't agree at all in most circumstances apart from the above. In the case of families who are offered minimum wage work that will make them worse off due to childcare/travel I strongly disagree. The immediate image of chipper/pub/bookie man influenced me to answer incorrectly.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Economic Left/Right: -6.75
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.33

pcgraphpng.php?ec=-6.75&soc=-7.33

Think I have moved a fraction further left...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

Did this before, in a politics thread I think, for someone who thinks he's a social democrat I look a lot like an anti-capitalist anarchist from the US perspective...

Economic Left/Right: -8.38
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.51

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭redfacedbear

Kiwi in IE wrote: »
    I actually answered a few of the questions a lot more conservatively than my true views because of the way they were worded and the inability to differentiate between variable situations. For example I answered agree to the question about people who are able and refuse to work not expecting to get social welfare. When I read the question I immediately got a picture in my head of a thug who spends all day alternating between bookie/pub/chipper (the are quite a few in the nearest town to me). However when I think about it I actually don't agree at all in most circumstances apart from the above. In the case of families who are offered minimum wage work that will make them worse off due to childcare/travel I strongly disagree. The immediate image of chipper/pub/bookie man influenced me to answer incorrectly.

Yeah, I agreed to the same question but really wanted to put in an asterisk saying while this ought to be the case the number of people on social welfare that it would actually apply to is very small!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Think I have moved a fraction further left...

A fraction further left than me! Think I moved right - I'm feeling uncharitable today....

pcgraphpng.php?ec=-5.38&soc=-7.69

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Economic Left/Right: -7.00
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.44

Not suprised at all.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

pcgraphpng.php?ec=-5.00&soc=-6.51

Economic Left/Right: -5.00
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.51

I remember doing this when I was younger, and getting about (-1, -3). I have done other similar things that have described me as ultra-liberal, so I'm not quite sure how that fits in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

pcgraphpng.php?ec=-0.62&soc=-5.08

Economic Left/Right: -0.62
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.08

Centrist economically and liberal socially.

Advertisement