Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leap card for 16-18 years old - Dublin Bus

Options
  • 29-03-2014 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

My son is 16 years old. At the moment he uses the bus tickets for 16-18 years old. It costs 12 Euro for 10 journeys. This price is very good and very comfortable for us.
    But as I understand that Dublin Bus is starting to move from paper tickets to leap cards from now on.
    As I discovered on there website, They only have 2 options: child and student cards. But child is under 12 years old and students are older than 17-18 years old. What about kids that are still in secondary school? Student leap card give freedom of use, but it will be more expensive, than previous tickets.
    May be somebody can explain it to me.. Or they do it just make a price for tickets twice more expensive...
    It looks like kids in between 12 and 18 not exist...:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

people in secondary school can get the student travel card, and this can then be used as a leap card

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Julius Seizure

That ticket is being discontinued but there's nothing stopping you from stocking up on them and using them as needs be. I don't know if shops are still getting new stock.

Either way, your son is at the age where on Dublin bus he would be an adult, unless he gets the student travel card which allows student concession prepaid tickets, just like the paper ones, or topping up and buying adult cash fares (with capping at 5 euro a day of 20 after a week, if your fares total goes over 5 euro only the first 5 euro will be taken off the card and reset at midnight, ditto the 20 a week on Sunday midnight).

How far/often is he travelling? When I was in Dublin for the summer I found buying student 30 day ramblers the best (the days are nonconsecutive, you've got like 30 day passes for unlimited travel on it for around 3-4 euro). If he was doing two trips on his old ticket he may well save money this way if you had the cash to spend 90/100 for the ticket. You can tag on on the flat fare reader on the right which is a nice perk!

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Gelena

Thank you for replies, but He has an adult leapcard as sometimes he uses a LUAS. Sometimes it means 2/3 time in a week from st Stephens Green to Sandyford. Every morning 5 times and 2/3 times in the afternoon during the week he uses Dublin bus from last bus stop in Shankill to the st Stephens Green. And on weekends he uses me as a driver.
    I found that adult leapcard and student travel card on LUAS don't make a big different for his type of travel. And On the bus this price is different and you can feel it: if he is paying right now around 1.40 per journy Distance doesn't matter, as long as he is travelling in between 8am and 5pm. On an adult leap card it would be 2.50 or may be student card can give him 2 Euro (not sure, as I don't know) and it depends on distance. Now I hope you will understand what I'm going to loose. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,557 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

OP I think you've got a little confused here.

Child Ticket options on Dublin Bus are as follows:

Under 12:
    Unpersonalised child leap card - allows for schoolchild and child fares and child fare capping applies (€2.50 per day or €8.20 per week).

12-15:
    Personalised child leap card - allows for schoolchild and child fares and child fare capping applies (€2.50 per day or €8.20 per week).

16-18:
    1) 10 Journey Travel 90 Scholar Ticket (requires Scholar ID) - allows for reduced fare travel for 16-18 year olds to/from school on Dublin Bus (€12 per card). There have been no indications that this ticket is being withdrawn.

2) Student Travelcard Leap Card - Allows for reduced fare capping levels for travel outside school hours (€5 per day or €20 per week Monday to Sunday).

As far as the transport companies are concerned, anyone under 16 can avail of child fares.

Dublin Bus provides a ticket for 16-18 year olds travelling to/from school which is not being withdrawn and which allows for reduced fares.

Outside of that time, adult fares apply, but they can avail of lower capping levels using a student leap card. The switch to adult fares has always been at 16 years old I'm afraid, and that's fairly standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Gelena

lxflyer wrote: »
    10 Journey Travel 90 Scholar Ticket (requires Scholar ID) - allows for reduced fare travel for 16-18 year olds to/from school on Dublin Bus (€12 per card). There have been no indications that this ticket is being withdrawn.

Are you sure? Last Friday in the shop the man told me that they are selling THE LAST tickets as they pre-order them and they won't get them any more. And as you can see on the Dublin bus website there isn't any options to buy this type of the tickets...

• Advertisement

Yes I am sure. It has not been mentioned at all.

The ticket is still for sale on the DB website, it's about halfway down this page:
    http://dublinbus.ie/en/Fares--Tickets/Tickets/Child-and-Scholar-Tickets-/

The man in the shop was wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Gelena wrote: »
    Are you sure? Last Friday in the shop the man told me that they are selling THE LAST tickets as they pre-order them and they won't get them any more. And as you can see on the Dublin bus website there isn't any options to buy this type of the tickets...

Communications issue between "The Man in The Shop" and Dublin Bus I'd suggest.....Looks like he did'nt read the instructions...

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/News-Centre/General-News/Revisions-to-Prepaid-Tickets-now-moving-to-Leap-Card/
    On Friday 7th March, 1 Day Rambler Adult and 10 Journey Travel 90 Schoolchild tickets were withdrawn and are no longer available to purchase.

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Fares--Tickets/Tickets/Child-and-Scholar-Tickets-/
    10 Journey Travel 90 Scholar Ticket (16-18yrs) €12.00

Valid for 10 journeys of 90 minutes unlimited travel
    Valid on Dublin Bus scheduled services (excluding Xpresso, Airlink, Nitelink, Tours, Special Events, Private Contract services)
    Valid to and from secondary school up to 17:00hrs (Monday - Friday) & up to 13:30hrs on Saturday
    Tickets are for individual use only and may not be used by a group
    Scholar ID required and holders must be attending full time primary or secondary education in Ireland

The reality,awful though it may well be,is that the carriage of Children at a reduced rate is a CONCESSION,and in this case,Dublin Bus are stretching it a bit further with the "Scholar" ticket.

Be Happy I say ...:D :D:D

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Gelena wrote: »
    My son is 16 years old. At the moment he uses the bus tickets for 16-18 years old. It costs 12 Euro for 10 journeys. This price is very good and very comfortable for us.
    But as I understand that Dublin Bus is starting to move from paper tickets to leap cards from now on.
    As I discovered on there website, They only have 2 options: child and student cards. But child is under 12 years old and students are older than 17-18 years old. What about kids that are still in secondary school? Student leap card give freedom of use, but it will be more expensive, than previous tickets.
    May be somebody can explain it to me.. Or they do it just make a price for tickets twice more expensive...
    It looks like kids in between 12 and 18 not exist...:mad:

Well Gelena,it look like Mssrs Varadakar & Kelly were on your wavelength.....

http://www.dttas.ie/press-releases/2014/varadkar-kelly-announce-cheaper-leap-fares-16-17-and-18-year-olds

Worth noting however,that CASHFare Payers remain Adults at 16 :eek:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Well Gelena,it look like Mssrs Varadakar & Kelly were on your wavelength.....

http://www.dttas.ie/press-releases/2014/varadkar-kelly-announce-cheaper-leap-fares-16-17-and-18-year-olds

Worth noting however,that CASHFare Payers remain Adults at 16 :eek:

That page seems to confirm that student travel cards won't allow the child fares but instead a new child leapcard will be needed. Ridiculous, now 16+ need a student travel card for Irish Rail / Bus Éireann to get to Dublin and then a different leap card for inside the city. So much for integration.

To be fair the rationale for this is to provide child fares to all children going to school.

Going on long distance trips would not be part of that.

Bear in mind also that this will be another hot on fare box revenue that the operating companies are going to have to suffer without any compensation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭rx8

It seems there may be some good news on the way.... I spotted a notice in the garage today that says the company is to increase the upper age limit on child fares from 16 to 18 from August.
    No other details available at the moment.There will probably be some conditions attached, but we should know more soon.

rx8 wrote: »
    It seems there may be some good news on the way.... I spotted a notice in the garage today that says the company is to increase the upper age limit on child fares from 16 to 18 from August.
    No other details available at the moment.There will probably be some conditions attached, but we should know more soon.

Rx,this is the announcement quoted earlier...It is the extension of the Child LeapCard,and only refers to the LeapCard Fares...any Children dozy enough to continue paying in CASH will become Adults at 16,as is currently the case.....:D

lxflyer wrote: »
    To be fair the rationale for this is to provide child fares to all children going to school.

Going on long distance trips would not be part of that.

Bear in mind also that this will be another hot on fare box revenue that the operating companies are going to have to suffer without any compensation.

True, it just seems to be creating yet another overlap and confusing fare structure that they were trying to cut down on in the first place!

Advertisement