Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Advice on car Battery

Options
  • 21-02-2014 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭

Hi

I had not started my car in a few months. Went to start the car but nothing, battery appeared to be dead. Used a car battery booster on it and it then started no problem. Drove it about for about 45 mins to an hour. Came out this morning and it started on its own without any problems.

A friend has told me that once you start it the first time and drive it about for a while the alternator will charge the battery up and it will be fine. I have searched about online and read conflicting reports so not sure if that is the case or not.

I am planning to head away driving on Sunday and I am worried that even if it does start initially that I am going to have problems when I am away (as I will be leaving the car outside for about 6 to 7 hours while I am skiing) and would be rightly fooked if it did not start then! Note I am in living in Canada so it will be cold.

Any advice would be great! Should I but a new battery or as it was OK to start this morning, will it be fine?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

As long as the battery was ok originally and just discharged naturally from lack of use, you jump started it and took for a spin, the alternator should have charged it up, that's what the alternators job is, to keep battery charged, I'd say you will be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

It should be fine as the trip to the skiing location should charge the battery good, but then again I do not know the condition of the battery, and the last thing you want to happen is be broke down at night on top of a mountain in Canada. I believe it can get very cold. Nobody here seen your battery or knows how old it is. If it's a popular location for skiing and there will be other cars there bring a set of jump leads. If it's a secluided place with nobody around I would get a new battery to be safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭username2013

Thanks for the advice lads. Good call on the jump leads, ill bring them with me just in case. There will be plenty of other people and cars around so there should be no bother getting a jump if required.

Advertisement