Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medicine Abroad

Options
  • 19-01-2014 4:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hey guys so basically I'm repeating the Leaving Cert this year and I'm really hoping to do medicine-its the only thing I have any interest in doing. I hope I will get it in Ireland but if I don't I'm thinking about going abroad, probably to Hungary or maybe Italy because I was just reading about the course they have there, and studying it over there. I know it would be pretty tough being away from home etc and you'd have to learn the basics of the language, but I'm 19 now and honestly just really want to do medicine wherever I can. Just wondering if there's either any people on here thinking of doing the same or maybe have done it already? If so, where are ye thinking of doing it/have done it? And how are the entrance tests? Thanks:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Exo

I'm only aware of people going abroad to the UK to study Medicine by applying through UCAS (which is now closed for the year, too late to apply for that unless you've put the application in already). The language barrier may be an issue unless you're a native speaker - the terminology is complex in the English language, nevermind in Italian or Hungarian!

It's a first for me, try your luck within Ireland - plenty of universities nationwide you can apply to via. CAO.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Exo wrote: »
    I'm only aware of people going abroad to the UK to study Medicine by applying through UCAS (which is now closed for the year, too late to apply for that unless you've put the application in already). The language barrier may be an issue unless you're a native speaker - the terminology is complex in the English language, nevermind in Italian or Hungarian!

It's a first for me, try your luck within Ireland - plenty of universities nationwide you can apply to via. CAO.

Many of the European universities offer degree courses through English which attract foreign students. The university in Budapest is a popular choice for veterinary and it is taught entirely through English.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Exo

Many of the European universities offer degree courses through English which attract foreign students. The university in Budapest is a popular choice for veterinary and it is taught entirely through English.

I was not aware of that, however I'd imagine the competition is tight and fierce to snatch those course places up.

Eunicas is another feasible option to review college courses within the EU, not sure if you're aware of it; each university has a list of courses that they offer in the English language.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 katiemc12

I have applied to colleges in England but for a lot of them eg Dundee, Birmingham they dont accept repeats because demand is so high. I was pretty close points wise for here last year but with the marking of the HPAT changed this year, things could go either way I guess :L Its actually pretty easy to get into college abroad, you do the entry exam and anyone who gets above about 60 or 70%, depending on the college, and is willing to pay the fees gets a place. Its worth a try anyway :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 165 ✭✭Doublelime

I'm going to do medicine abroad in Poland. The fees are 10k a year, and you need about 1k a month for accommodation and food. So in total it is quite expensive.

My brother is in his 1st year of medicine in Poland. He is find it tough but it will be worth it. I am hoping to join him. Poland is the best place for medicine in europe besides the UK and Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 niall95

Is anyone going for the pre-med course in mc daniel college in budapest this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 katiemc12

niall95 wrote: »
    Is anyone going for the pre-med course in mc daniel college in budapest this year?
    Hey Niall, I'm applying for the medical course in semmelweis university in budapest. Are you applying to any other courses out there?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 niall95

Hi Katie, Im doing the pre-med course in mc daniel college, and after (if all goes well) I will be applying for vet medicine in szent istván university, do you if there is any grants available to Irish students in
    Budapest?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 truebeliever

I just got accepted to Semmelweis, Szeged and pécs. I dont know which one to choose. Does anyone know anything about them? Is anyone planning on going to Hungary in September? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement