Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bartop gallery

• 06-09-2013 2:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭

Been building various kinds of bartops for a couple of years now so decided to throw up a few pics from the earliest to the most recent ones and maybe detail some of the problems and pitfalls with them.

Ramvik

Fairly self explanatory this one, Ikea Ramvik table with a LCD screen and laptop fitted. Used Mala as the frontend.

5635645888_edb29555ac_z.jpg

Was the first one I built and definitely a learning experience. Decided to build the controls into a slide out drawer, seemed like a good idea at the time but was a lot of probably unnecessary woodwork looking back on it.

Not very comfortable to play either as the LCD viewing angle meant you had to lean over the controls to clear see the top of the screen. Sound was via a crap USB powered speaker stuck to the underside.
    Got swapped for a Vectrex and has changed hands a few times since and recently appear on Adverts with a fairly hefty price tag.

Carbon Cab

Had the brainwave to build a more 'arcadey' looking cab and wrap it in carbon fibre vinyl.

5818463117_622f5b7844_z.jpg

This one used a micro-itx motherboard and LCD with Hyperspin as the frontend, IPAC handling the controls. Made from scratch with MDF and pretty much done free hand. Drew up the basic shape on cardboard all based with the 15" screen size determining the rest of the dimensions.
    I wanted to have a seemless look about it (don't know why) so the cab is all one fixed piece with the two sides being removable, this made installing all the hardware a total pain and not something I'd recommend.
    Applying the vinyl was also a bit of a chore particularly around the corners on the side panels where its all bunched up.
    Had a pair of logitech speakers fitted, while they look at bit small the sound was pretty decent from them.

Kids Cab

Next up was a simple 60-in-1 bartop for my nieces/nephews.

8027668941_698378a981_z.jpg

Decided to keep things fairly simple with this one. Again made from MDF on a 1x1" frame, 17" screen used and it determines the size of the rest of the cab. Most made of straight edges as all the sanding and shaping from the previous one was such a pain to do.
    Bit more soldering to do on this one as a mini jamma loom was need for the 60-1 board, bottom and rear panels are removable very easy to work on.
    Is played on a daily basis and gets heaps of abuse but has held up great so far :)

Woodie

My nemesis this one, took over a year to build and was incredibly close to being scrapped on a few occasions.

8257953125_805dd2717e_z.jpg

Made for solid strip board on a 1x1" frame, 19" LCD screen and decent mini-itx motherboard, IPAC, stereo amp - spend a good deal on parts.
    Getting the woodwork right (or as right as I could get it) was a nightmare - I'm definitely not a carpenter !! Sides were intended to be strip board as well but I couldn't get the finish good enough so opted for painted MDF in the end which brought a nice contrast to the colour.
    Still though, loved it when it was finished and thought it look awesome and played great :)

60-1 bartop

Updated version of the kids cab. Same construction and components but slightly different cab shape.

9049846570_dde27cf505_z.jpg

Tooled up for this one :) Got a router and plunge saw, made up some templates so can quickly use the router to make up the pieces so assembly is fairly handy. Still using a 17" LCD and 60-1 board so the cab is mostly empty on the inside compared to a Mame build.

My Shooter

Dedicated vertical shooter cab. Basically made for all scrap leftover bits I had around from other builds and projects.

9317914893_d7af79802d_z.jpg

I think all I bought for this was the paint :) The cab was an 'early' 60-1 bartop that I made some mistakes with and was destined for scrap. Managed to squeeze a full size ITX motherboard and power supply in there as well.

Have some more ideas in my head for other designs, just need the time and funds to start them....

So over to ye :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,259 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Control panel aside, the viewing angle on that Ramvik's monitor in a hori position was shocking. Even more shocking was the perfect viewing angle when it was vertical! Looked really good.

To anyone considering making a tabletop home build, couldn't recommend going for a vertical orientated one enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Very jealous! Really great work. I've dreamed of building one of these for a long time, but given my limited to non-existent knowledge of just about every aspect of the work involved that's probably all it will ever be. :(

Cool as hell man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Nice gallery there man, impressive work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Cheers :)

Have ideas for a few more wacky designs, just need the time to get stuck in..

I just realised that one of my friends actually bought the carbon fibre one off you. Now to see if he could be tempted to part with it... :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

Can I ask where you got the carbon fibre wrap from?

I need it to finish a bartop I started a year ago .
    Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Just got it on ebay. Wasn't cheap though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

Cheers.
    Saw it on ebay, thought you might have gotten it cheap somewhere ;)
    It does look well though so I will probably get it.
    Thanks.

Maybe try the motors/modding section?

Advertisement