Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

19-08-2013, 07:24   #1
stankratz

Slane Girl discussion?

Ok, 2 threads closed now. This mess is everywhere and is asking some serious questions in society that need to be addressed, from the act itself to the general online reaction equally. Obviously you guys don't want it anywhere near Boards, but it is kind of frustrating when you unexpectedly stay up all of a Sunday night to engage in this discussion and then next thing the thread is gone as if it never existed, without a word. Could that not have been done by page 5 when there was already an abundance of vitriol posted, hence giving everyone a night's sleep?

Yes the girl needs the least exposure possible, but I'm afraid that ship is already miles out at sea. If anything, maybe if the family or those who care about the girl stumbled upon the thread, they might take some comfort in some of the 'non-abuse' posts, of which they were many, versus the multitude of hate against this girl brewing around the internet.

I dunno, it just seems a bit laid back to delete full threads without at least attempting to moderate them first. It's your house, your rules, but I still wanted to say this.

Last edited by stankratz; 19-08-2013 at 07:40.
Advertisement
19-08-2013, 07:56   #2
Spear

I suspect eveything that Dav said at the time of the KPMG girl mess, applies equally to this one, so I'll just point to Dav's statement at the time:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...0#post82524640
19-08-2013, 09:15   #3
whoopsadaisydoodles
There's always a bright side

As I said in the closing post of the first thread, I see no reason for After Hours to add to the sh*t storm that this girl will face. We will not be part of any sort of online bullying campaign.
(110) thanks from:
--Kaiser--, a fat guy, angeldelight, Artful_Badger, Banjo String, Beruthiel, Boards.ie: Niamh, Boards.ie: Nicola, Bubosw, Cabaal, Caiseoipe19, Canard, carolinespring, CKonetheonlyone, Coleman Slawski, cristoir, cymbaline, Daemos, danniemcq, Das Kitty, de5p0i1er, Dolbert, dubbie82, dudara, eaglej13, endacl, EricPraline, Esoteric_, e_e, farrell2121, fenris, fits, Frank Lee Midere, Gee Bag, glossy, Grolschevik, hussey, iguana, Ilik Urgee, jd007, Jimmy Iovine, Joeytheparrot, johnr1, JonSnuuu, KeithM89, knucklehead6, kupus, laoch na mona, Legs.Eleven, LEIN, LifesgoodwithLG, Lollipops23, Love nor Money, Lumi, madel, MadsL, maguic24, marco_polo, Micky Dolenz, Millicent, MonstaMash, MoonDancer, Mr. G, MrJoeSoap, Musicmental85, Neyite, Nimrod 7, orestes, Panda, paperclip2, Pappacharlie, passive, Penn, PippaChic, pocpaul, PopePalpatine, r3nu4l, RayM, roseybear, Royal Irish, sarumite, sassa, Scarinae, Shane St., SicklySweet, Sierra 117, Silverfish, Sir Humphrey Appleby, smurfs5, StabiloBoss, starling, Sully, SW, Talib Fiasco, The Hill Billy, Tigger99, toodleytoo, Vicar in a tutu, Vito Corleone, Vojera, wesf, whiskeyman, Wibbs, wildcatares22, wilkie2006, wprathead, xxdilemmaxx, xzanti, Yellow121, Zaph
19-08-2013, 09:24   #4
guttenberg

I've not seen the threads but came across it elsewhere. There is two people engaged in the vulgar act, why is one more susceptible to ridicule than the other? online bullying is a big thing at the minute over in Britain because of a few deaths, no need for Boards to risk getting implicated in anything like this.
19-08-2013, 09:53   #5
Zaph
Commander of The Internet

Quote:
Originally Posted by stankratz View Post
Ok, 2 threads closed now. This mess is everywhere and is asking some serious questions in society that need to be addressed, from the act itself to the general online reaction equally. Obviously you guys don't want it anywhere near Boards, but it is kind of frustrating when you unexpectedly stay up all of a Sunday night to engage in this discussion and then next thing the thread is gone as if it never existed, without a word. Could that not have been done by page 5 when there was already an abundance of vitriol posted, hence giving everyone a night's sleep?
Just because you were up all night doesn't mean that there were mods up all night to remove the thread. It was deleted as soon as there was someone around to do so.

Quote:
I dunno, it just seems a bit laid back to delete full threads without at least attempting to moderate them first. It's your house, your rules, but I still wanted to say this.
I've had a look at the threads and the amount of work that would be required to moderate them would be ridiculous. Mods are volunteers, we don't expect them to spend half the night editing posts when it's clear that the thread should have been removed anyway.

Regardless of the number of non-abusive and supportive posts on the thread, unfortunately a lot of people seem to think that they have an automatic right to abuse people from the comfort of their own homes. We don't, and never will allow this, despite how much people may protest about their right to do so.
Advertisement
19-08-2013, 09:53   #6
ZeRoY

There is such thing called moderation, I think threads could have been cleaned up; Even though I did not post in the 25+ page thread about this "event" I read almost every comments and aside from a few trolls there were good points and the discussions were courteous by a large majority. There is no doubt that link to pics/pages on FB had no place there but the debate on the viral phenomenon was interesting and useful imo. Anyway, what is done is done.
(2) thanks from:
19-08-2013, 10:52   #7
stankratz

Thanks for the attempts at a clarification guys, however...

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoopsadaisydoodles View Post
As I said in the closing post of the first thread, I see no reason for After Hours to add to the sh*t storm that this girl will face. We will not be part of any sort of online bullying campaign.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaph View Post
Regardless of the number of non-abusive and supportive posts on the thread, unfortunately a lot of people seem to think that they have an automatic right to abuse people from the comfort of their own homes. We don't, and never will allow this, despite how much people may protest about their right to do so.
...the KPMG feedback thread I just read (which Spear directed me to above) and numerous other posts I read on this site daily contradict the bolded sentences.* And honestly, the thread was going from some time around midnight, a mod wouldn't have had to have been up all night to close it if it had been done on Page 1-3 when it should have been. You mean to say there wasn't one AH mod online after midnight? Surely if there's so much at stake litigation-wise in running a site like this in a country like this, is there not at least one person watching the ship all the times? No...wait...before you put the palm of your hand through your face, I know it is not possible for one mod let alone 10 to moderate the galaxy that is Boards.ie, but someone to keep an eye on the main page during the quiet hours on the off-chance that shít like this springs up?

Anyway, the thread depressed the fúck out of me, but I had never experienced the 'now you see it, now you don't' approach with a thread before (I must have been living under a rock when the KPMG thing originally did the rounds) so had to ask what was the story.

BTW, I know mods are volunteers with more than likely full-time jobs of their own, and not all-present and omnipotent, but surely in applying to be a mod you are aware and accepting of the fact that there will be sometimes a bit more work involved than 'Hey, tone it down' etc. I certainly don't have the time, patience or desire to clean-up a thread, but then again I didn't volunteer to mod After Hours.

That's me done, bar responding to any replies. Hopefully the world will forget about slanegirl today but I doubt it.

------------------------------------------

*Obviously I'm not laying the blame for this with the mods, it is clear that the guidelines handed down to them are shady at best when it comes to this area.
19-08-2013, 11:23   #8
dr.bollocko
Category Moderator

The internet's a sick fucked-up little place at times.
19-08-2013, 11:26   #9
CastingCouch
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.bollocko View Post
The internet's a sick fucked-up little place at times.
Society equally
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
19-08-2013, 11:28   #10
Penn
Category Moderator

Quote:
You mean to say there wasn't one AH mod online after midnight?
After midnight? On a Sunday night? For an unpaid volunteer position? When most people have work on a Monday morning?

Yes, we do mean to say there wasn't one AH mod online after midnight, and it's wholly unreasonable to expect that there would be.
19-08-2013, 11:38   #11
sbsquarepants

Shít.
What did i miss
What did slane girl do? I know threads have been closed and whatnot, but don't leave me hanging, would a brief nameless synopsis be allowed perhaps? - whatever it was, it definitely wouldn't be worth going to slane for, fecking hell hole of a venue!
Thanks from:
19-08-2013, 12:01   #12
MugMugs
Trust Nobody

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbsquarepants View Post
Shít.
What did i miss
What did slane girl do? I know threads have been closed and whatnot, but don't leave me hanging,
Could you not just google it given that discussion is forbidden?

It's not rocket science.

www.google.ie
19-08-2013, 12:08   #13
btard
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoopsadaisydoodles View Post
You can stick your head in the sand all you want. You can close threads you don't like all you want. However, stating you closed it because it was part of an online bullying campaign is being disingenuous to say the least. It is also a slur on those who contributed to the discussion.
Thanks from:
19-08-2013, 12:11   #14
sbsquarepants

Sorry for upsetting you mugmugs. I feel bad now!
Any how, you may as well try to unbunch your panties there, a slightly less abrasive poster than yourself has filled me in via pm.
(2) thanks from:
19-08-2013, 12:12   #15
MugMugs
Trust Nobody

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbsquarepants View Post
Sorry for upsetting you mugmugs. I feel bad now!
Any how, you may as well try to unbunch your panties there, a slightly less abrasive poster than yourself has filled me in via pm.
I am not upset. Merely stating the blatantly obvious. Glad you got your fix
Thanks from:
Thread Closed