Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saw a Drunk driver on the road today.

Options
  • 25-12-2012 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭

He was swerving all over the road and really really off his head. There were two of them in the car. In my car was my mam, dad, wife and baby son.

My dad stayed well behind but we were all shouting for him to pull in. Car was too far away to catch its licence plate and I could not figure out what type of car it was. It pulled off into some place I don't know the name of. All this irritated me to no end not knowing any of this info because I really wanted to ring the guards.

After all the warnings. After all the television adverts and bad examples of driving we have been shown. After seeing all those families lives ruined and destroyed over the years, we STILL have MUPPETS like this on the road.

And all of it happened at 2pm much when people are travelling to other peoples houses to celebrate the Christmas dinner.

Shocking and disturbing.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

and you didnt ring the guards?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Ando's Saggy Bottom

At least you did the right thing and found out the name of the road he pulled into and rang the Guards and gave them a description of the car.

Oh wait..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Tom_Cruise

Its Christmas day, give the drink drivers a break.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭Max Power

Who celebrates the Christmas dinner?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Tom_Cruise wrote: »
    Its Christmas day, give the drink drivers a break.
    And it is no wonder the country is in the mess it is in with an attitude like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

At least you did the right thing and found out the name of the road he pulled into and rang the Guards and gave them a description of the car.

Oh wait..

Thanks Captain Hindsight.

Thanks Captain Hindsight.

Not really one of those times you should need the benefit of hindsight to know whats the right thing to do though is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭The Jammy dodger

Oh wait..

It pulled off down a country road. I havnt a clue where it was. Anyway guards should have been on that road. Its a day drunk drivers abuse because there is a lack of policing on the roads this day. These fellas always take the ''back'' roads so guards should know that drunk drivers are already inclined to take this route to avoid being caught. They are less likely to take to the motorway.

Anyway really mad I couldn't get any info to report them.

The car was a northen reg but thats all I know really. Useless info for the guards.

It pulled off down a country road. I havnt a clue where it was. Anyway guards should have been on that road. Its a day drunk drivers abuse because there is a lack of policing on the roads this day. These fellas always take the ''back'' roads so guards should know that drunk drivers are already inclined to take this route to avoid being caught. They are less likely to take to the motorway.

The car was a northen reg but thats all I know really. Useless info for the guards.
    Surely you could tell the Guards the general area, the colour/tyoe of car and how many were in it, it'd be something to go on? They might spot it pulled into a house?

You're on here whinging that the Guards should be out patrolling an obscure road that you yourself seem completely unable to even describe, yet when you have the chance to help them out you choose to do nothing.

Well done. You're probably only moaning on here because Joe Duffy is on his holidays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Anyway guards should have been on that road.

Gardaí hanging around country roads in the middle of nowhere. An area so remote you didn't even know where you were

It would be great to have a garda on every boreen and street corner but what you are asking is unrealistic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Yeah the Guards should have checkpoints up on every back arsé country road in the middle of nowhere on Christmas day. That makes all the sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

Of course it could never of been a **** car.

Surely you could tell the Guards the general area, the colour/tyoe of car and how many were in it, it'd be something to go on? They might spot it pulled into a house?

You're on here whinging that the Guards should be out patrolling an obscure road that you yourself seem completely unable to even describe, yet when you have the chance to help them out you choose to do nothing.

Well done. You're probably only moaning on here because Joe Duffy is on his holidays.

Ok so here is the coversation:

Jammy: Saw a drunk driver on the road but don't know the reg, and don't know the road he turned off on. I am on such and such a road.

Guard: ok thats helpful isn't it?

Jammy: Well the car was silver, there were two in the car and it was a northen reg.

Guard: Oh right I see, so we don't know what road they turned off on, have no clue what the reg is, but we know the car is silver and has a northen reg with two people in it, hmmm thats a lot to go on considering there are a lot of silver northen reg cars on the road with two people in it:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I collected a friend from a pub in Knock (a backwater in north Tipperary) one night. The road out from Roscrea is a bog road, the clown in front of me was swerving all over the place, when I blew the horn and flashed the lights the muppet pulled over thinking I was the cops. I stopped and told him to leave the car and that I'd drop him home, he refused this suggestion. I probably should have informed the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭girl in the striped socks

How do you know the driver was drunk?

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭TheBully

ah so what! i drink drive all the time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭Tails142

How do you know it was a drunken driver? Might have just been a woman driving

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Probably the local postman ;)

It's one of his only days off and according to the tipping thread in After Hours they get a years supply of spirits this time of year

This also explains how he knows the back roads OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭EMTFlynn

Here's how i would do it.

I was driving on this road, a car in front of me with a northern reg/ silver in colour was in front of me and driving out of control. There were two people in this car.

They turned left/right of this road, i'm not sure of the name of it.

Who knows other people could have rang the guards too about this car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

He was swerving all over the road and really really off his head. There were two of them in the car. In my car was my mam, dad, wife and baby son.

My dad stayed well behind but we were all shouting for him to pull in. Car was too far away to catch its licence plate and I could not figure out what type of car it was. It pulled off into some place I don't know the name of. All this irritated me to no end not knowing any of this info because I really wanted to ring the guards.

After all the warnings. After all the television adverts and bad examples of driving we have been shown. After seeing all those families lives ruined and destroyed over the years, we STILL have MUPPETS like this on the road.

And all of it happened at 2pm much when people are travelling to other peoples houses to celebrate the Christmas dinner.

Shocking and disturbing.

You could tell there was two people in the car but couldn't get the reg?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭jenniferalan

Could have rang Traffic Watch I reported a dangerous driver a few years ago he was swerving on the n6 in and out of hard shoulder and over the white line...very scary to see. Dont know if it was drink driving but I reported reg and traffic watch wanted me to give statement but I couldn't as I was going to work. Afaik they sent out a car in same direction and a note was made on file or whatever way they do it. I was glad I reported it, driver appeared to be quite elderly and it was a busy friday afternoon

Ok so here is the coversation:

Jammy: Saw a drunk driver on the road but don't know the reg, and don't know the road he turned off on. I am on such and such a road.

Guard: ok thats helpful isn't it?

Jammy: Well the car was silver, there were two in the car and it was a northen reg.

Guard: Oh right I see, so we don't know what road they turned off on, have no clue what the reg is, but we know the car is silver and has a northen reg with two people in it, hmmm thats a lot to go on considering there are a lot of silver northen reg cars on the road with two people in it:rolleyes:
    Maybe your info would have been useful, maybe it wouldn't. Thats for the Guards to decide. For all you know you weren't the only person to see them and ring in and even knowing their general whereabouts coulf have been important. Maybe they were fleeing a house robbery or a hit and run and even knowing the general direction they were headed might have been helpful. There are lots of possibilities but the bottom line us you were not the right person to decide how relevant or not your info was. Worst case scenario the Guard telks you theres nowt he can do. Hardly the end of the world is it? Best case scenario you help save someones life on Christmas day. Lots to gain. Little to lose.

You should have rang them . Instead you came onto boards moaning about it. Well played.

Maybe your info would have been useful, maybe it wouldn't. Thats for the Guards to decide. For all you know you weren't the only person to see them and ring in and even knowing their general whereabouts coulf have been important. Maybe they were fleeing a house robbery or a hit and run and even knowing the general direction they were headed might have been helpful. There are lots of possibilities but the bottom line us you were not the right person to decide how relevant or not your info was. Worst case scenario the Guard telks you theres nowt he can do. Hardly the end of the world is it? Best case scenario you help save someones life on Christmas day. Lots to gain. Little to lose.

You should have rang them . Instead you came onto boards moaning about it. Well played.

Yes you are right, I should have rang them. My dad was urging me not to giving all the excuses I gave you, and was being a real pain so under that pressure I cracked I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

Agree with the other posters. You should have at least rung the guards, OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Got behind a drunk driver before, quick blast from behind to get the reg and then backed off. Rang guards, gave them my number and followed the car flashing on coming drivers to warn them. Gaurd's rang me back, got my location and arrested the drunk. This was at 8am on a Saturday morning.

I was late to where I needed to be, but I was happy to know no one was killed because of that drunk bitch.

Got behind a drunk driver before, quick blast from behind to get the reg and then backed off. Rang guards, gave them my number and followed the car flashing on coming drivers to warn them. Gaurd's rang me back, got my location and arrested the drunk. This was at 8am on a Saturday morning.

I was late to where I needed to be, but I was happy to know no one was killed because of that drunk bitch.

Yeah my dad stayed far behind him. I was thinking of asking him to move forward to get the reg like you did, but I have a little 20month old baby in the car and I couldn't do that. I mean this car was unpredictable and seriously bad.

Anyway in future I will ring no matter what small info I have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

I was thinking of asking him to move forward to get the reg like you did
    Steady on there, Batman!

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭DanWall

If you ring the guards you will get done for using your phone while driving

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I don't think so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

This story seems made up.
    It could happen but I think too many holes here.

Advertisement