Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ducato 5th Gear

Options
  • 19-12-2012 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭

I have a Fiat Ducato camper, 1998 2.5 TD which has just started to jump out of 5th gear. I believe this can be repaired without removing the gearbox as it is mounted externally. Anyone have this problem in the past and what is the likely cost of parts to repair it.

corkbuoy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭niloc1951

There is loads written about the Ducato 5th gear problem, have a look HERE for an example.
    I believe its got to do with 5th. gear being an add on to the four speed box and its lubrication is not the best.
    It is however supposed to be a fairly straightforward job to fix it, it involves removing a wheel which gives access to the cover under which is the offending 5th. gear, it's not necessary to remove the 'box or the engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

I've done loads, it's quite straightforward. Apart from the castle nut holding the gear in. There are a few different ratio options, so you need a chassis number to order. S/h ones are like gold dust, and iirc you can't buy the gear on its own, you get the actual 5th gear, the selector hub and synchro, and the smaller gear that the 5th meshes with. The cog itself won't be worn, just the synchro, and it'll look like nothing, but the tiniest amount of "rounding" to the tops of the synchro area teeth are enough to cause it. It's a shame you have to get the full kit , cos the synchro hub is reversible , and the small cog never wears.

Oh and to actually so it, you don't need to remove the box, just the end cover. You don't even need to jack it up or remove the wheel! If you run into bother I'd happily do it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭corkbuoy

Thanks for all the info lads. Aidan_M_M thanks for that, hoping my local mechanic will do it as I don't want to drive it any distance especially in 4th gear. Are the parts only available from Fiat main dealer or is there another source.

corkbuoy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

corkbuoy wrote: »
    Thanks for all the info lads. Aidan_M_M thanks for that, hoping my local mechanic will do it as I don't want to drive it any distance especially in 4th gear. Are the parts only available from Fiat main dealer or is there another source.

corkbuoy

Theres a polish fella on ebay does them, not exactly cheap though!
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/lider-auto-parts/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p3686

These guys do them too don't know if they have a local supplier:
    http://www.tecnotrasmissioni.com/

Nice link I had bookmarked:
    http://campingcariste.blog.co.uk/2010/11/26/i-left-my-cogs-in-the-loire-10062561/

• Advertisement

That's hardly cheaper than Fiat!

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Xantia

My 5th gear decided to stop working a few years ago.
    Turns out that the 5th gear is an addition to the existing 4 speed gearbox and can be easily replaced.
    Got mine done in the Lee Garage - cant remember how much it cost but it worked fine afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Aidan_M_M wrote: »
    That's hardly cheaper than Fiat!
    Not unless you have to pay the vat vat makes it about 60 euro cheaper. the technotrasmissioni part is about 170 euro via eastern europe according to the polish mechanic that gave me the name.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭sunchaser

Had one done by Tristian a few years ago, excellent job, I actually stayed in the garage while he was doing it, in and out in about an hour.

Is it just 5th and the synchro , or the small gear as well?

@Did I Pat? Jaysis , my aul memory is failing me! lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭sunchaser

As you say Tristian, but I am a lot older than you, all I can remember I got a 5th gear kit from a contact in Fiat and you fitted it for me, Has been up and down the continent and N. Africa since many times with no reoccuring problem to 5th gear.
    Happy Christmas to all in Aglish from sunny Spain presently.
    PS dont forget to say hi to R & A in Mayo
    Best of luck with Open Days after Christmas, sorry to miss it. Always a good day.

sunchaser wrote: »
    As you say Tristan, .........
    Best of luck with Open Days after Christmas, sorry to miss it. Always a good day.

Ah glad to hear it's all good with you too! You'll be missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 seanita

Aidan_M_M wrote: »
    I've done loads, it's quite straightforward. Apart from the castle nut holding the gear in. There are a few different ratio options, so you need a chassis number to order. S/h ones are like gold dust, and iirc you can't buy the gear on its own, you get the actual 5th gear, the selector hub and synchro, and the smaller gear that the 5th meshes with. The cog itself won't be worn, just the synchro, and it'll look like nothing, but the tiniest amount of "rounding" to the tops of the synchro area teeth are enough to cause it. It's a shame you have to get the full kit , cos the synchro hub is reversible , and the small cog never wears.

Can you fix mine?.... Just went yesterday. It started by just popping out of gear.it stayed in gear when held in place, but by the end of the journey it would not go into fifth at all. Now I've no fifth gear but no issue with the other four.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭JonMac

Contact him at Pat Horan Motors:

https://www.facebook.com/pathoranmotors/?__xts__[0]=68.ARBa5VDwILgcZUcJ-t3aoc2B06kHq3chiiQxhAf0B4-KFNOc0IDNr2oPgzuyHFIWHXDmqG5Sn8qfkX6YcWwgJSTMYkv9883dtNxpX9MkmkBVM0LFFBvGUwnVxx9xXLgolhHiOqfP58VgLGdDJISip2MKE0bH_9TSy7pca0QslQ2B9_me1py96MSHkVczTo2k9CbG-ZYBfw_gIjzRvEUIYJ1ZDwtRrno1-0r6oO9a&__tn__=k*F&tn-str=k*F

Advertisement