Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exam Results

Options
  • 16-12-2012 11:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭

Hello, does anyone know when the Christmas exam results are generally released? Is there a fixed day or do we find out the results of the individual modules individually? Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

Official results won't be released until after the summer exams, but most departments will release provisional results sometime in January. It will be up to the specific lecturer/department when and how to release them, if they release them at all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

I've never known anyone on any course not to get their online results at some set date in January, although some lecturers can't be bothered to mark your essays etc and make you wait five or six months to find out how you got on in those.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 the last high king

2pm on the 25th

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭IsThisIt???

Bump,

Is the 25th for all students? The only thing I can find online is about commerce students.

I did 6 exams and haven't got any results back yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

I went onto MIS to check the release schedule and nothing has come up for me, not even Commerce, I can't see it being released this week then if that is the case, it may even lag into February for some courses at this rate, which is abnormally late — even for MIS — or maybe there's something up assessment-wise??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

Nailz wrote: »
    I went onto MIS to check the release schedule and nothing has come up for me, not even Commerce, I can't see it being released this week then if that is the case, it may even lag into February for some courses at this rate, which is abnormally late — even for MIS — or maybe there's something up assessment-wise??

Yeah but your forgetting this here is NUIG, where its administration policy to not answer a ringing phone and only make announcements at the very last minute.

Yeah but your forgetting this here is NUIG, where its administration policy to not answer a ringing phone and only make announcements at the very last minute.
    I know, for all we know it could be a problem with MIS too... That wouldn't surprise me either.

Some courses results went up on MIS today but no sign of mine. To be fair ours don't usually go up on that until summer but I'm surprised no lecturers have sent them out unofficially yet.

What is the reason for courses not giving exam results out until the summer? Would it not be beneficial for students to know where they stand? Continuous assessment has obvious advantages yet we don't get to find out how we're doing until many months later. Some of our lecturers can't even be bothered to mark essays for five or six months.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭biddywiddy

What is the reason for courses not giving exam results out until the summer?

In a lot of cases, even though Semester 1 exams have been marked by now, the results remain "provisional" until they have been viewed and accepted by external examiner. This happens after the summer exams have been marked, so Semester 1 marks are technically "subject to change" until then.

Usually individual departments will release provisional grades for the Semester 1 exams, but it's up to each department how/when this is done, I think.

• Advertisement

biddywiddy wrote: »
    In a lot of cases, even though Semester 1 exams have been marked by now, the results remain "provisional" until they have been viewed and accepted by external examiner. This happens after the summer exams have been marked, so Semester 1 marks are technically "subject to change" until then.

Usually individual departments will release provisional grades for the Semester 1 exams, but it's up to each department how/when this is done, I think.

This is my understanding of it too. It is frustrating not having any results though. As most my subjects are grouped with one or two other subjects in 2nd semester it does have an effect on what I am studying now. I don't see a problem releasing the results unofficially when they are ready. It's pushing 2 months since I did my first few exams.

^Exactly. If Commerce can do it I don't see why others can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 galwaybucko

Exam results seem to be out now.

What is consdered a 2.1 these days in NUIG

a 60 OR a 62?

It used to be a 62 but I've seen information recently that would seem to indicate a 60.

Does that mean someone who got 61 back in the days when a 2.1 was 62 would now be considered to have a 2.1 rather than a 2.2?

Exam results seem to be out now.

What is consdered a 2.1 these days in NUIG

a 60 OR a 62?

It used to be a 62 but I've seen information recently that would seem to indicate a 60.

Does that mean someone who got 61 back in the days when a 2.1 was 62 would now be considered to have a 2.1 rather than a 2.2?
    I think 60 to 69 would be considered a 2.1 nowadays.

Edit: That was what I like to call a "Feckin' eejit" mistake...

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Tarjh

70+ is a 1.1. 60-69 is a 2-1.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Tammyxxx

Hi everyone could someone please help me with this im a ist arts student and i want 2 gt into psychology in 2nd year unfortunately, i didnt study much for my psych xmas exam and only got 54.oo as my result overall which combined by psych essay with my exam. my exam was mcq. fell down in social psychology. :( very disappointed in myself cant stop crying feeling very stressed out and worthless. have low self -esteem anyway... dont know how to motivate myself to study and pull myself away from the tv. find college day very long. I was just wondering what grade do you need to be getting to get into psych studies in your christmas and summer exams????

Could someone please

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Celestial12

Tammyxxx wrote: »
    Hi everyone could someone please help me with this im a ist arts student and i want 2 gt into psychology in 2nd year unfortunately, i didnt study much for my psych xmas exam and only got 54.oo as my result overall which combined by psych essay with my exam. my exam was mcq. fell down in social psychology. :( very disappointed in myself cant stop crying feeling very stressed out and worthless. have low self -esteem anyway... dont know how to motivate myself to study and pull myself away from the tv. find college day very long. I was just wondering what grade do you need to be getting to get into psych studies in your christmas and summer exams????

Could someone please

I'm not sure what grade you'll need to get into second year because I'm not sure how the system works in Arts, but in Science there's a quota for each subject and you're ranked according to your overall results.

The best thing you can do is email your lecturer(s) and discuss it with them. From what I've heard psychology is hard to get into in second year. 54 isn't a bad result but unfortunately I don't think it'll be enough. I'd imagine you'd need a B average (60-69) for the year or possibly even an A(70+). Don't be too hard on yourself and try your best to work harder this semester.

Advertisement