Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

20-11-2012, 09:23   #1
mimihops

Choices letting agency

Any experiences good or bad with this crowd? Looking at apartments to rent and some are managed by them but as I have been burned before by letting agents not giving deposit back etc I would like to hear peoples experiences with them first!
Advertisement
20-11-2012, 10:25   #2
Faith
Mary Berry is my idol
As far as I know, they're pretty much universally hated.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...p?t=2056667251
20-11-2012, 10:31   #3
Malari

Only bad things to say about them! They contacted me several times demanding to know why rent hadn't been paid, up to a year and a half after I'd informed them I had moved out of one of their places
(2) thanks from:
20-11-2012, 10:45   #4
Frere Jacques

I remember a time when they rang us at the start of the week wanting a house inspection a few days later. My buddy told them we were all working and that the time wasn't suitable. He pointed out the two weeks notice thing but said next week would be no trouble.
Thing was, I wasn't working, I was in between two night shifts so was asleep for the day. Next thing I know, I'm woken from a deep sleep by someone, let's just call her "K" walking into my bedroom. I let out a "WTF" and she panicing said who she was as she ran out the door. I thought it was gas but one of the lads was livid about the invasion of privacy and rang her and let rip. Don't think we had anymore inspections after though!!
Apart from her manner I thought they were okay but to be honest we had a good house and not too many reasons to be ringing them.
Thanks from:
20-11-2012, 10:46   #5
honerbright

Renting a house through them now, and (touch wood) they seem ok.
My only complaint would be that the house was very obviously not cleaned properly before we moved in. The amount of random stuff I found under the couch cushions etc
Thanks from:
Advertisement
20-11-2012, 12:38   #6
Grim_Wreeper

I think we were lucky, we went though them as a letting agent, but after we started renting the house we pay and deal with the landlord directly. They don't manage our rent. So that's something to maybe check.
Thanks from:
20-11-2012, 13:46   #7
Gamb!t

Avoid Avoid Avoid.
Thanks from:
20-11-2012, 14:12   #8
mimihops

Gosh I read that other thread too and they seem like an awful shower. Such a pity as they have a couple of places that look ideal, but there's no way I could deal with them invading my privacy by coming in unanounced for an inspection! I'd go mad! Thanks for the feedback everyone, would prefer to deal with the landlord directly so will keep looking I'd say.
20-11-2012, 14:15   #9
honerbright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim_Wreeper View Post
I think we were lucky, we went though them as a letting agent, but after we started renting the house we pay and deal with the landlord directly. They don't manage our rent. So that's something to maybe check.
Us too, they don't seem to have much of anything to do with us.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
20-11-2012, 23:49   #10
Milly33

I would say avoid avoid. I havent rented myself with them but know two or three who have. One friend they said the place was not clean enough and made them hire a cleaner recommened only by them for €200 odd euro to clean the place before they left, and took no responsibility as agents either. another bunch they were renting and could not get a 1,000 eurp deposit back off them dont know if they ever did.. The last couple think the house is ok but again they have been at them to paint the place and have odd jobs done and they are usless..

I would stay well away, from all the horror stories, them and era are a bit daft
Thanks from:
21-11-2012, 10:46   #11
TwoTokeTommy

Unpleasant and difficult to deal with when anything goes wrong. Avoid them if possible! (They do usually have some decent places but ruin that by making it unsatisfying to deal with).
(2) thanks from:
26-11-2012, 15:31   #12
BillJ

Wish I had looked them up before renting through them.

They are useless. Been living in the new place two months and there's basic things that need to be fixed. Numerous calls asking to get it sorted and they just say "ya we've reported it to the landlord, we'll get back to you". Never hear a word back.

Avoid them op, they don't deserve anyone's business. They are not interested if you have a problem once they have you signed up
Thanks from:
27-11-2012, 02:21   #13
babo9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJ View Post
Wish I had looked them up before renting through them.

They are useless. Been living in the new place two months and there's basic things that need to be fixed. Numerous calls asking to get it sorted and they just say "ya we've reported it to the landlord, we'll get back to you". Never hear a word back.
That's all I ever got when I was renting with them too. The only time I ever got anywhere was when I'd threaten in writing to withhold the rent until xyz was repaired or sorted out, having numerous emails to them being ignored, I had more than enough evidence to justify this. Or I'd need to give them a friendly reminder that the lease/law said this and that the PRTB wouldn't be too happy.
Thanks from:
03-12-2012, 21:10   #14

Useless and Rude staff imo.

Sherry fitzgerald lettings and Frank Sheahan / Cork Homes are both good to deal with.
(2) thanks from:
04-12-2012, 20:59   #15

They are ok up until the point where you actually sign anything. If anything goes wrong or you have a query be prepared to be stonewalled.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion