Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

12-10-2012, 12:43   #1
velvet68

Christmas Day restaurant?

Hi All,
does anyone know of a nice place that is open on christmas day for lunches. We have a party of 9 adults and 2 kids, I've tried the Galway Bay Hotel but they are full if your not staying with them. Would like somewhere with good food and nice atmosphere.
Advertisement
12-10-2012, 12:47   #2
irisheddie85

No Place unless you are staying in a hotel serves food on Christmas day. A few of the 24hr petrol stations will be open but thats about it.
Thanks from:
12-10-2012, 12:58   #3
Dizzyblonde

Moved from Food & Drink
Thanks from:
12-10-2012, 13:05   #4
Mrs OBumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by irisheddie85 View Post
No Place unless you are staying in a hotel serves food on Christmas day. A few of the 24hr petrol stations will be open but thats about it.
Rubbish.

The Raddison's website says they do three sittings on Christmas day, and explicity says residents and non-residents alike. No prices quoted though ... expect to pay heaps, they do list prices for Christmas Eve and Steven's Day with lunch at E25.

Never done it myself, so don't know what other options there are, or what they're like.
(4) thanks from:
12-10-2012, 13:07   #5
biko
Percolator

Radison Hotel
Harbour Hotel
Thanks from:
Advertisement
12-10-2012, 13:48   #6
inisboffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs OBumble View Post
Rubbish.

The Raddison's website says they do three sittings on Christmas day, and explicity says residents and non-residents alike. No prices quoted though ... expect to pay heaps, they do list prices for Christmas Eve and Steven's Day with lunch at E25.

Never done it myself, so don't know what other options there are, or what they're like.
Never been to the Harbour, was at the Raddison a number of years back, we went to join guests and paid ourselves. Wouldn't be mad on doing it again, a bit 'factory line' Christmas Lunch/Dinner, and they seemed to be understaffed/missing things. If you pay a heap for a special event, you are less forgiving about missing cutlery, crackers etc. That being said, there are only a couple of options in the City, I think in fact, the Harbour wasn't available when I was looking.
My experience was a few years ago, so it may have changed. I also have a vague memory of a charity dinner that is put on for Christmas day, and out the country a bit. It sounded lovely but I had no transport that day. Don't know if it is annual.
Thanks from:
12-10-2012, 14:29   #7
fishy fishy

Ardilaun?

Park House?
Thanks from:
12-10-2012, 14:51   #8
inisboffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishy fishy View Post
Ardilaun?

Park House?
Not a few of years ago anyway, except for residents. We rang a load of places. They may do now.
Thanks from:
12-10-2012, 17:28   #9
velvet68

Quote:
Originally Posted by inisboffin View Post
Quote:
Ardilaun?

Park House?
Not a few of years ago anyway, except for residents. We rang a load of places. They may do now.

Park house are closed, so is ardilaun. The Radisson is charging 80 p/a and 40 for a child and it's self service buffet.... The harbour is 5 course 69 p/a and 35 for a child. Is there any restaurants open that day I wonder.....
Thanks from:
Advertisement
12-10-2012, 20:10   #10
Sappa

Quote:
Originally Posted by velvet68 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by inisboffin View Post
Quote:
Ardilaun?

Park House?

Park house are closed, so is ardilaun. The Radisson is charging 80 p/a and 40 for a child and it's self service buffet.... The harbour is 5 course 69 p/a and 35 for a child. Is there any restaurants open that day I wonder.....
No chance on the restaurants opening,Galway is not big enough and the tradition is to stay at home.
Why don't you ring one of the catering crowds to see if they could do you some food and drop it around Christmas eve,you'll only have to set the table then.
Thanks from:
12-10-2012, 21:54   #11
biko
Percolator

You will probably have to ring every place you can think of.
Perhaps closer to Christmas there'll be some adverts in the papers.
Thanks from:
14-10-2012, 12:00   #12
velvet68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sappa View Post
No chance on the restaurants opening,Galway is not big enough and the tradition is to stay at home.
Why don't you ring one of the catering crowds to see if they could do you some food and drop it around Christmas eve,you'll only have to set the table then.
Its not the cooking I just thought it would be great for a change for everyone to relax and enjoy their day without someone having to fuss over a big dinner and the clearing up and trying to fit everyone in. Maybe in another few years and the times change some business may take the initiative.
14-10-2012, 12:06   #13
Links234
ლ(ಠ_ಠლ)

Went to the radisson with family once a few years back, like someone else said, self service buffet, but it was really good.
14-10-2012, 12:08   #14
tayto lover

The problem for the restaurants would be finding/paying staff to work on Christmas Day. They want to be at home with their own families.

Why not buy a cooked stuffed turkey and ham and prepare the vegetables yourself. You can also buy the meat and veggies ready prepared in most good butchers if you order in plenty of time and only have to cook them yourself. The benefit of that is that you can have dinner in your own time and have plenty left over for sandwiches etc later.
Thanks from:
15-10-2012, 09:01   #15
fishy fishy

marks and spencers - get your christmas food booklet, tick the items you want, and collect before Christmas. No prep - just stick in the oven and you have a christmas dinner with all the work cut out.
(2) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion