Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

08-06-2012, 00:37   #31

I've sen a couple of roaches in Kanazawa over the last few weeks. Ugh. Nasty feckers. Thankfully, none in my house yet.......
Advertisement
01-07-2012, 08:28   #32
MrShine

We got our first one in the house the other day. A massive fecker. I caught him, and let it out down the street. In hindsight I should've killed it, but I'm not too fond of killin things, tbh. Sept for mosquitos. Blood suckin bastards!
01-07-2012, 15:03   #33
hibby

We had a roach in our house a couple of weeks ago too.

To be honest I don't have an inbuilt horror of them, probably because we don't have them in Ireland so I wasn't brought up to hate them. It's just like a big beetle as far as I'm concerned. My wife hates them though!
03-07-2012, 15:57   #34
Beruthiel
omnipotent and omniscient

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrShine View Post
Sept for mosquitos. Blood suckin bastards!
I hate them and tend to have a reaction to the bites.
Will they be gone by November?
04-07-2012, 05:25   #35
hibby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beruthiel View Post
Will they be gone by November?
I'm guessing yes. I arrived in Japan in March and wasn't troubled by them, and then started to get more bites as the weather got warmer. Now my legs are covered in bites and scabs at various stages of healing.

They have a special vicious little mosquito here called yabuka, that are seemingly immune to insect repellent. They are ruthlessly efficient and waste no time - the moment you step outside the door they land and bite. Unlike normal mosquito bites, you actually feel it immediately as you are being bitten, and almost instantly the bite appears like a little blister. Then later it swells up into a screamingly-itchy big red lump, gradually fading over the next few days.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
07-07-2012, 20:50   #36
shindig-jp

Hibby don't forget your two dogs .......K9 Advantix and cover them at night , dogs suffer too.
09-07-2012, 13:49   #37
hibby

They suffer from mosquito bites, you mean? I didn't know that. I'll look into that Advantix stuff.
11-07-2012, 15:33   #38
shindig-jp

Quote:
Originally Posted by hibby View Post
They suffer from mosquito bites, you mean? I didn't know that. I'll look into that Advantix stuff.
Yes K9 Advantix for pets , If you are being bitten and the little ones are with you, you can be sure they are also under attack . Ears, nose, eyes and underbelly are all exposed including the arse hole .

It's easy enough to set up a boxed screen on the balcony . Recycle shop for old window net repaired screens . 2 Double door size and two half size ,one for the flap to let them in and out . Duck tape the lot together . Job done .
19-09-2012, 10:25   #39
Beruthiel

Quote:
Now my legs are covered in bites and scabs at various stages of healing.
How are you getting on with the mosquitos hibby?
Have the little buggers disappeared yet?
Only 6 weeks to my hols.
Advertisement
19-09-2012, 12:57   #40
hibby

Quote:
How are you getting on with the mosquitos hibby?
Have the little buggers disappeared yet?
Only 6 weeks to my hols.
They still haven't disappeared. We were just out on a short walk and I was bitten once on the hand, and my wife got 4 bites on the ankles.

But there are definite signs of getting cooler this week. Today was the first day for months that the temperature didn't reach 30 degrees (it was 29.8, but still!)

I don't know what time of year the mosquitoes die off. It's my first full year in Japan so I'm just learning as I go.

Anyway, 6 weeks till you come to Japan? That's great! And the euro is starting to recover slightly against the yen too.
19-09-2012, 13:00   #41
Beruthiel

Quote:
I don't know what time of year the mosquitoes die off.
I'll ask you again in 5 weeks time.

Quote:
Anyway, 6 weeks till you come to Japan? That's great! And the euro is starting to recover slightly against the yen too.
I should order my Yen from the bank soon then!
23-10-2012, 10:27   #42
Beruthiel

So hibby, have any of those nasty little blighters bitten you recently or can I arrive safe in the knowledge that I won't be covered in bites?
26-10-2012, 07:49   #43
hibby

Quote:
So hibby, have any of those nasty little blighters bitten you recently or can I arrive safe in the knowledge that I won't be covered in bites?
They were still around and biting until very recently (within the past week) but the weather has suddenly turned a lot cooler and hopefully that's the end of them for this year.

By the way, this cooler weather is probably the nicest weather we've had in Japan since I arrived. It's just beautiful, really clear and bright and pleasant in the sunshine. I'm told this is typical from mid-October to mid-November so I hope it lasts for your stay.
Thanks from:
26-10-2012, 07:54   #44
Jimoslimos

Nobody mention the deer in Nara yet? Aggressive feckers!
26-10-2012, 08:59   #45
Beruthiel

Quote:
By the way, this cooler weather is probably the nicest weather we've had in Japan since I arrived. It's just beautiful, really clear and bright and pleasant in the sunshine. I'm told this is typical from mid-October to mid-November so I hope it lasts for your stay.
Oh that's great to hear!
With one week to go, I'm like a kid on christmas eve.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion