Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In praise of Newbridge House (and what to do with toddlers when youre dub)

Options
  • 25-06-2012 8:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,336 ✭✭✭

Living in Germany as I now do but returning to Dublin alone with my 20 month old while mother bear goes on a week long family holiday as she has, I find that as a father wondering what he will do for a long week alone with his daughter for the first time ever that I simply must commend Newbridge House (NH) to all and sundry.

Aside from affording me possibly the longest, and likely grammatically in correct, opening sentence to a post ever, NH was a joy from start to finish. Anyone sitting around wonderng what to do with a small child in the area of Dublin should hop in the car and spare no thought to powering towards Donabate Village at once.

Despite being a little difficult to find for those of us with a short attention span.... signposted as it was "Donabate Demense" rather than "newbridge house and farm".... the experience once we arrived was a joy for parent and baby alike from start to finish.

We arrived at the house and walked to the court yard.... with trees and fields in every direction as far as the eye could see. On arriving in the court yard we were greeted by a pea cock with its tail unfurled beading us with 100 fake eyes, before walking around and peering at, first, ponies and then restored machinery and horse drawn carriages of yore.

A mere 9 euro later.... 5 for myself and 4 for OAP granddad, while under 2 year old baby went free..... we found ourselves in a yard full of baby goats and chickens. Baby enjoyed them all, feeding them baby rye biscuits from her bag as we went. We then enjoyed sheds full of pigs, young and old, then cows, young and old, before arriving at a small Aviary full of everything from the common pigeon.... to two types of "lovebird"..... to possibly the single angriest and forboding looking Turkey I ever did see.

Feeling/thinking that baby and parent had already got their joyful 5euro worth.... and we were probably heading towards the gift shop and exit.... we walked down a lonely looking passage labeled with a single sign "pastures". Turning the corner at the end of it we were greeted with fields of cows, turkeys, horses, geese, ducks, bulls, pea cocks, sheep and donkeys that kept baby runninig, giggling, squealing and bubbling over for nearly 2 hours more. This all, as I said, for the original ticket price that should leave Dublin Zoo blushing.

When we finally did find out way out to the exit we were theen treated to the outside, free, moderan and well equipped playground which had rides for every child from barely toddling to teen age.

All in all this father wondering what to do with a baby for his first time alone without mummy had a great day out which has left said baby worn out enough to STILL be sleeping 12 hours after having been put to bed.... a personal record for her.... while I sit here in peace writing a review for you all.

NOW daddy will turn to google and wonder where is the best, most chlorine free, swimming pool to take a baby in Dublin to.... so we can wash away the sore muscles she must have earned running from animal to animal the day before. All suggestions welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

Glad You liked Newbridge Demesne. I live near there and I would walk/cycle the grounds quite a lot.

Can I suggest the National Aquatic Centre in Blanchardstown for bringing you child swimming? As far as I know they don't use chlorine and the facilities are great for kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Newbridge House is great , the playground is among the best i have seen

BTW , Donabate beach a little up the road is great too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,336 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Thanks for the NAC recommendation, i had forgotten about it entirely despite having worked beside it for a full year some 7 years ago.

We floated around the ring for 90 minutes and baby had a good time of it. She did not take to the pirate ship at all. Too loud, water everywhere and so forth all made her somewhat wary of it. The main pool was enough for her.

Satuday, Sunday and Monday down. Only 4 more days of this.... I wonder where to take her tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

How about the Zoo or Imaginosity http://imaginosity.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

It's great place for the kids all right, I've spent the day there a few times with our kid when she was around 1, and more recently 2.

Regarding signage, it may depend on what side you're coming from, but if the M1 side it's well sign posted with Newbridge House as opposed to Donabate Dememse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭AmcD

I definitely agree with you about Newbridge Demesne and the National aquatic centre.
    Here are things I have done with my toddler (car needed for some of them):

Phoenix park- the playground beside the visitor centre is excellent, though not as big as Newbridge. Also there is a nice cafe nearby for takeaway coffee and cake. You can also get up quite close to the deer in the park.

The museum at Collins Barracks: Good for a toddler just to wander about. Also has an activity room for children. There are regular family events.

Howth pier- There are some extremely tame seals in the harbour that love being fed. There are nice walks on the piers and up around Howth head.

Sandycove/Dollymount/Lough Shinny/Whiterock beaches: all toddlers love sand. It doesn't matter if it is a murky day, just bring a picnic and bucket and spade.

Sea life aquarium in Bray: It can be pricey, but there are often special offers/vouchers about for this. At different times of the day your toddler could get to see the fish being fed or handle the crabs. The tank of rays is quite impressive. There is also a very small soft play area at the end.

Zoom in Greystones: This is a soft play cafe. There are two areas for different ages. It can get quite noisy when busy, but it is nice to see the toddlers screaming around.

Glenroe farm in Kilcoole: This is not that far out of Dublin, on the N11. It is a good pet farm with a play area. At certain times the children can get to handle guinea pigs and rabbits.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

And the Dead Zoo in Merrion Square if it's wet. Huge hit with my 1 year old, I was surprised. Keepers (wardens? Whatever) are lovely too and very welcoming to kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

I love imaginosity! It is so much fun, the only problem I have with it is all the kids get in the way ofthe good stuff! Trying to get a go of the cash registers at the market is pure murder! :mad:;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

So glad I read your review. I brought my 2 year old here last week & she was in heaven! The farm is one of the best we've visited & she had great fun chasing the peacocks/squirrels as well as petting the goats/sheep/pigs.
    Absolutely lovely place, spotless too & very helpful staff.

She spent so much time & energy running around after the animals that she was too tired to go to the playground, so that'll be a treat for another day :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

I reckon it's where the next meet up should be... hmmmmmm lot cheaper than the Zoo too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Ardgillan in skerries has a great playground and plenty of grass to run around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Ardgillan in skerries has a great playground and plenty of grass to run around

Fantastic location for a playground! Amazing view.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Buyingcar2012

The Zoo yearly ticket is fantastic value.

Advertisement