Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Enda Kenny tells protester "You could do with a day’s work, I’d say"

• 15-05-2012 1:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0515/1224316130700.html

Right at the end:

A short time later, chairman of the Athlone Anti-Household and Septic Tank Campaign, Gordon Hudson, advised Mr Kenny to “take the bridge, head west and stay there.”
    “You could do with a day’s work, I’d say,” Mr Kenny replied. Mr Hudson said he had been self-employed for 29 years but had to “pack it in because of ye”.

So what do you all think of that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

curlzy wrote: »

I think Enda's probably right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,121 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

curlzy wrote: »
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0515/1224316130700.html

Right at the end:

A short time later, chairman of the Athlone Anti-Household and Septic Tank Campaign, Gordon Hudson, advised Mr Kenny to “take the bridge, head west and stay there.”
    “You could do with a day’s work, I’d say,” Mr Kenny replied. Mr Hudson said he had been self-employed for 29 years but had to “pack it in because of ye”.

Enda could do with a P45.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

prinz wrote: »
    I think Enda's probably right.

Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

thats what you get when you vote a bunch of teachers into government

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

I was expecting the guy he said it to to be one of those hippy folk who travel the country protesting having never held down a job.

Turns out Kenny wasn't being witty, just being a prick.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Also in Journal.ie: http://www.thejournal.ie/video-audio-kenny-tells-protester-you-could-do-with-a-days-work-id-say-451330-May2012/
    Gordon Hudson: Take the bridge, head west and stay there.

Enda Kenny: What's your name?

GH: It doesn't matter.

EK: You could do with a day's work, I'd say.

GH: Oi! Self-employed and had to pack it in because of ye. 29 years self employed. Don't give me your crap.

http://www.westmeathindependent.ie/news/roundup/articles/2012/05/14/4010403-taoiseachs-jibe-at-athlone-protester/

He's refusing to appear on a TV3 debate next week. What an odious little toe-rag he is.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Wow, it only took five posts for someone to try and turn this into a teacher-bashing topic...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Sure we could all do with a day's work couldn't we?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Why?

...... because complaints about the lack of jobs and unemployment in this country is a daily occurence... and I'd figure that somebody in stable employment and worried about keeping their job doesn't have the time or energy to be Chairman of an Anti-Household Chagre lobby group. As it happens Mr Hudson is out of work. If he was offered his self-employed work bakc do you think he'd turn it down?

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭bluesteel

He's refusing to appear on a TV3 debate next week. What an odious little toe-rag he is.

why on earth would he debate with a charlatan, economic illiterate and terrorist apologist? You seem to forget that he won the election - he has mandate and that carpet bagger Adams doesn't.

(I note you don't find anything odious about SF's links to terrorism and attempts to usurp Irish democracy? What about Sen Billy Fox - Fine Gael Senator murdered by the IRA?)

this is the SF agenda:
    SF:

- No to Troika and bailout programme
    - Default on debt
    - No cuts to PS
    - No cuts to PS pay, except for small percentage at top
    - No spending cuts
    - No property tax
    - No tax increases, except the top rate and wealth tax which would bring in €1.4b pa (Deficit: €16b+)
    - €7b stimulus, money to come from somewhere or other

They don't have an economic policy - they have rhetoric and a bunch of half-arsed, disconnected, ill thought through soundbites. They are demagogues, and never tire of telling the rest of us how much more they care than anyone else. Like Eamon Gilmore, Richard Bruton and Joan Burton want to hurt Irish people, and only SF can stop them.

That guy who accosted him seemed to think Kenny caused the economic collapse - what a cretin! Probably the same type of fool who voted for Fianna Fail all his life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭wonton

Mr Doyle’s son, Dr Simon Doyle, works in Wales, his other son Richard, who is in college in Waterford, is considering emigrating, and now he fears his daughter Mary may also have to leave after she completes her Leaving Certificate this year.

So one son that is a doctor moved to wales, and the other two are just thinking about it having not even finished college for one and still doing the leaving cert for the other.

Tbh is sounds kinda like the other two kids just want to have a bit of craic in australia or somewhere for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

So what? I mean, why should we need a debate to help us make up our minds on the fiscal treaty? All the information that one needs to make an informed decision is readily available. There's absolutely no reason for a debate, except to score political points, and that's exactly what SF is after. If you need to see a debate to make up your mind on the the merit or otherwise of the treaty, then frankly you probably shouldn't be voting on it in the first place.

wonton wrote: »
    So one son that is a doctor moved to wales, and the other two are just thinking about it having not even finished college for one and still doing the leaving cert for the other.

Tbh is sounds kinda like the other two kids just want to have a bit of craic in australia or somewhere for a while.

sounds like he'll be shown up as a tool like yer man in Killiney
    No wonder the kids are leaving

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

the only thoughts I have on that cretin and his puppet gilmore is that the two of them are getting rounder and fatter every day they appear on the box. Somebody should point them in the direction of weight watchers before the turn into fully fledged oompa loompas with zero charisma between them.

I think a good guide, and one that would serve us all well is to vote the opposite of what they tell us to do.

You know they are only in it for the fat cheques, fat dinners, and fat pensions.

Voting against them on every opportunity will at least make them work a bit harder for their ill begotten gain. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

Einhard wrote: »
    So what? I mean, why should we need a debate to help us make up our minds on the fiscal treaty? All the information that one needs to make an informed decision is readily available. There's absolutely no reason for a debate, except to score political points, and that's exactly what SF is after. If you need to see a debate to make up your mind on the the merit or otherwise of the treaty, then frankly you probably shouldn't be voting on it in the first place.

As the leader of the country I think he should debate the issue. If the treaty is of such importance and he wants to get it through, what harm to try to inform and influence the general public of his opinion.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Mr Hudson said he had been self-employed for 29 years but had to “pack it in because of ye”.

Eh... right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

As the leader of the country I think he should debate the issue. If the treaty is of such importance and he wants to get it through, what harm to try to inform and influence the general public of his opinion.

Because Adams won't debate the treaty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Feeona

And this is what you get when any topic under the sun is being discussed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

At the very least for those that still either don't have the time to do deep study of a treaty (maybe due to working long hours cos' of economic conditions?) and/or don't still grasp the full implications, the leader of a democratically elected government should appear on TV to participate in a debate/put his case forward as to why we should vote yes?

wonton wrote: »

Sounds to me like they're thinking of fecking off so's they don't have to join their old fellah in the dole queue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,105 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Oh i see big bad adams is there to be afraid of.

Goes to show how powerful the Taoiseach is then for a man in his position on such an important topic to essentially run and hide.

This wouldnt happen in any other country.

I don't think that should make any difference what Adams says. If he has an opinion on the treaty then he should illustrate his points regardless of who else is on the panel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

Eh... right.

maybe he owned a chain of headshops lol didnt fine geal outlaw most of the products sold in those shops?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

bluesteel wrote: »
    why on earth ....

Politicians who are so spineless and clueless as to be unable to debate their opponents have reduced credibility in my view.

The fact that Enda's team will have judged the 'no to debate' option as being the least damaging to his credibility says a lot about him in my view.

http://www.thejournal.ie/taoiseach-declines-to-appear-on-tv3-debate-with-gerry-adams-451833-May2012/
    TAOISEACH ENDA KENNY has declined to take part in a live debate on TV3 two days before the referendum on the Fiscal Compact treaty.

The government has this afternoon confirmed that Kenny will not participate in a live debate with Gerry Adams on 29 May, two days before polling despite the broadcaster offering to replace moderator Vincent Browne with its political editor Ursula Halligan.

Whether you or enda like it or not SF are currently the 2nd biggest party in the state.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

If you basically tell someone to '**** off back to Mayo' then you should be ready for a retort. I'm surprised they left the other lads quote in there, would have made for better reading and been typical sensationalist journalism.

why on earth would he debate with a charlatan, economic illiterate and terrorist apologist? You seem to forget that he won the election - he has mandate and that carpet bagger Adams doesn't.

That's neither here nor there. Last week he refused to appear on the basis that Vincent Browne was to host it. Vincent insulted him once, and the poor delicate little flower hasn't gotten over it. I wonder if the family of Patrice Lumumba have gotten over the fact that Kenny referred to him as a 'nigger' a few years ago, and the pleaded with the media not to report it.. the slimy little fcuker.

It doesn't matter who would be hosting the debate, or who would be appearing alongside him in it, Kenny is a cowering fool in such situations and can't perform under that sort of pressure. He's refused to appear on Matt Cooper's radio show since he was elected, and it has the highest under 45's audience in the country. I wish he would follow Browne's advice!

Caliden wrote: »
    If you basically tell someone to '**** off back to Mayo' then you should be ready for a retort. I'm surprised they left the other lads quote in there, would have made for better reading and been typical sensationalist journalism.

Yeah maybe in a pub, is hardly fitting to engage in a slagging match when in his position, but then watching dail proceedings they all seem resemble a school yard in their behaviour most of the time

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭blowtorch

Going by that line of thinking (' why should we need a debate'), why should we need Kenny et al non-stop, every day telling us to vote yes? We need a debate because we would like to be further enlightened - especially about Kenny's knoweledge on the subject. Although his mantra this time again will be 'It's all on the website, go there'.

Kenny is a parish-pump politician that got lucky when FF made a hames of the country. Not too long before his 'win', the knives were out for him within his own party. They knew what we know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 443 ✭✭athlonelad

Enda has a ha bit of putting his foot in it when there's a microphone or journalist around
    http://www.independent.ie/opinion/analysis/******-joke-reveals-ignorance-of-racism-503626.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Whatever personally you think about Adams you cannot say he doesn't have a mandate when he clearly does.

Given your description of Adams as an "economic illiterate" surely An Taoiseach should not be running scared of him and should easily be able to debate the hind legs off this "charlatan" and "carpet bagger"?

Surely Enda ain't afraid of such man???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

(I note you don't find anything odious about SF's links to terrorism and attempts to usurp Irish democracy? What about Sen Billy Fox - Fine Gael Senator murdered by the IRA?)

this is the SF agenda:

That guy who accosted him seemed to think Kenny caused the economic collapse - what a cretin! Probably the same type of fool who voted for Fianna Fail all his life.

The word 'shirts' missing from your username. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,556 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

why on earth would he debate with a charlatan, economic illiterate and terrorist apologist?

Enda,ticks two of those boxes.

Dont think you would hear Obama say something like that
    Someone in such a high office should have some decorum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Last week he refused to appear on the basis that Vincent Browne was to host it. Vincent insulted him once, and the poor delicate little flower hasn't gotten over it.

Actually, I agree with Kenny on that one. Browne has been a long-time critic of Kenny's specifically and has shown himself continually incapable of chairing a debate without getting involved.
    What Browne said in reality was so far off the mark that he should have been fired from his slot. Regardless of anything else, this would indicate to me that Kenny has no respect for the producers in TV3 or any reason to believe that they will find a more competent host for any debate. Which seems fair enough to me.

Though in reality it would be worth his while facing it off and organising a debate that's broadcaster-neutral. But who's going to pay for that?

That's neither here nor there. Last week he refused to appear on the basis that Vincent Browne was to host it. Vincent insulted him once, and the poor delicate little flower hasn't gotten over it. I wonder if the family of Patrice Lumumba have gotten over the fact that Kenny referred to him as a 'nigger' a few years ago, and the pleaded with the media not to report it.. the slimy little fcuker.

It doesn't matter who would be hosting the debate, or who would be appearing alongside him in it, Kenny is a cowering fool in such situations and can't perform under that sort of pressure. He's refused to appear on Matt Cooper's radio show since he was elected, and it has the highest under 45's audience in the country. I wish he would follow Browne's advice!

is that your best retort to the economic challenges facing the country?
    Rehashing a story that Kenny told years ago. I'd say the family of Lumumba had more pressing issues than some Irish guy repeating a story that a Portuguese barman told!

P.S. What's with referring to VB as 'Vincent'?

VB might make great TV but his grasp of economics is woeful; see him trying to host when Brian Lucey et al are on, it's pathetic.

Still waiting for you to explain why Kenny should lower himself to debate someone who didn't know VAT or social welfare rates in the state! Let alone propose anything realistic to close the deficit

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Whatever personally you think about Adams you cannot say he doesn't have a mandate when he clearly does.

Given your description of Adams as an "economic illiterate" surely An Taoiseach should not be running scared of him and should easily be able to debate the hind legs off this "charlatan" and "carpet bagger"?

Surely Enda ain't afraid of such man???
    I have to agree. Even the most economically dopey government representative should have no difficulty taking apart a goodly chunk of what passes for Adams' economic policies.

Ghandee wrote: »
    The word 'shirts' missing from your username. :rolleyes:

ha! nah, I've never supported a non-democratic organisation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

Wow, it only took five posts for someone to try and turn this into a teacher-bashing topic...

not meaning to insult teachers, I was a teacher myself, all I am saying is that there appears to be a disproportionate amount of teachers running for office in this country.. Peter Mathews, a highly experienced finance professional, was elected to FG and has been pretty much muzzled by the whips... much the same as George Lee was before he quit the Dail. Meanwhile, the national school principal control freaks hog the lime-light, and proceed to make enormous decisions which will affect the country for generations, while passing snide remarks to anyone who dares question them....

Wibbs wrote: »
    I have to agree. Even the most economically dopey government representative should have no difficulty taking apart a goodly chunk of what passes for Adams' economic policies.

by that reasoning Obama should have debated Newt Gingrich, Sarah Palin et al

Heads of Government should't lower themselves like that

Dont think you would hear Obama say something like that
    Someone in such a high office should have some decorum

Enda prefers dickorum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Approaching someone and immediately insulting them is childish action. Fair enough, people are angry but there are ways of doing this.

We've seen people (nurses, teachers etc...) stopping politicians before and questioning them in a dignified and intelligent way and in return they recieve diginfied responses (whether its what they want to hear or not is a different story). Bark in someones face to féck off what do you expect. If anything Enda handled himself quite well.

I doubt that guys kids will leave the country until after they get the most out of the government paid 3rd level education.

by that reasoning Obama should have debated Newt Gingrich, Sarah Palin et al

Heads of Government should't lower themselves like that

And should have lowered himself to make that particular comment to the protester?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Yes, the following definitely deserves a dignified and well respected answer..
    Gordon Hudson: Take the bridge, head west and stay there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Charlatan? Noticed all the handy well paid advisor jobs going to Kenny's mates? :rolleyes:

Economic illiterate? Kenny has continued to drive this economy into the ground and supported FF/Greens policy of raping the Irish taxpayer with private debt.

Terrorist apologist? Kenny was more than happy for the US to use Ireland as a transit point for people it had kidnapped and tortured.

Adams was elected a TD by the people, just like Kenny.

Kenny was not elected taoiseach by the people.

And should have lowered himself to make that particular comment to the protester?

When I heard the comment I assumed he meant - "You sound like you're looking for work" which it seems he is?

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Kenny was not elected taoiseach by the people.

really?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Personally I'd love to see Ganley & Adams rip Enda to pieces in a live televised debate on this. I think Ganley would be far more capable on economic issues than Adams. The fact that Enda refuses to attend illustrates his lack of confidence in his knowledge of the subject matter.

As already pointed out at first he tried using the excuse of 'not if Vincent Browne is present', Browne has now stepped aside and Enda Kenny still won't attend.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

c_man wrote: »
    Yes, the following definitely deserves a dignified and well respected answer..

Enda , as head of state, should compose himself a little better under pressure though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Since FG and Labour adhere to exactly the same policies as FF had verbatim, you'd want to be careful exactly how far you're casting that insult net mate.