Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black Bin Collection New Price Structure

Options
  • 02-11-2011 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭

Hi,
    There is only one other person living in the house where I live in Lucan. We manage our waste very well using the green recycling bin and the brown bin very often. The black bin gets emptied from our house about every 5 months. I would say thats good going.

Anyway, Greyhound (the company who takes the waste) have changed their price structure. It was €10.50 for each lift which suited me to the ground but now we have to pay over €60 per year and something like €4.50 for each lift.

This obviously does not suit and will cost me so much more.

Anyone else have a similar issue or can anyone give advice of a way around this?

Thanks,

K

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

It is not pay per lift.

It is pay by weight. But yes there is a 60 standing charge with Greyhound.

If you haven't already paid it then you still have an opportunity to shop around. There are probably another 3 or 4 collectors in your area.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Green Mile

If anyone cares, I sent them an email but the reply was not helpful at all. The new price structure will still cost me more.
    Just annoys me they advertise the new price structure as "saving up to 40%".

"Good Morning,
    Apologies for the late reply. In relation to the new pricing structure, our aim of course is for people to start recycling and segregating their waste correctly and with our new structure it enables customers to present their bins at each scheduled collection day, whether full or not and only pay for the waste disposed of.

If it is a case whereby you normally present a full bin every 5 months at the old cost of €10.50 per lift, we now advise to present it at each collection to get and you will pay very little for the collection. For example if the bin has only 5kilos of waste you will only pay €1.55 for the collection. And if it is less then you will pay less.

Should you have any further queries please let me know.

Kind regards"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭wait4me

There is a good discussion on this here: Greyhound charges which at the time of my typing this is (was) just two posts below your one.

Ha haaa, thanks, I'll put a link on that board too

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Krazzzzy Kay

Does anybody know who is responsible for this annual charge, the landlord or tenants?

I live in a shared accommodation, there is no lease per say (everything is legit though) the rooms in the house are rented rather than the whole house, so there are people coming and going all the time.

I'v lived here for a few years and pretty much run the house looking after the bills, bins, house supply's, cleaning rosters, etc..

Would this charge be something I could or should pass onto the landlord?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Does anybody know who is responsible for this annual charge, the landlord or tenants?
    It's the tenant's waste, it's the tenants who pays.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

I heard that the councils are trying to get rid of the brown bins has a body else heard this. Apparently it's costing a fortune to run this service.

deelite wrote: »
    I heard that the councils are trying to get rid of the brown bins has a body else heard this. Apparently it's costing a fortune to run this service.

I doubt it, the council don't own the brown bins, it's a private company (south DCC at least)

The brown bin idea came from the EU as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

deelite wrote: »
    I'm surprised that more people with backgardens don't use a composter. Good savings to be had there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

This doesn't relate directly to the posts above, but it does tie in with the subject line. I'm in DLR and I got a letter in the post from Panda just before Christmas indicating that they have held off with price increases for years, etc . . . . but are now increasing their black bin lift charges by only 6c/kg.

When they put it that way, it doesn't sound like a whole bunch, but I checked back to see what the old per KG charge was and it was only 20c.

So, it's gone from 20c to 26c per KG. This is a 33% increase which is relatively high. I looked back over my charges for last year and I reckon that it will only add a relatively small amount since we only put the bins out a few times a year and then because they are pretty mouldy and not because they are full.

Just thought I would pass on the notification of the price rises to anyone who hadn't noticed. I still think Panda is the best value for DLR collections, but I'm open to correction if anyone knows differently.

z

• Advertisement
Advertisement