Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Young people's awful taste in television

• 31-10-2011 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭candlegrease

I've noticed a growing trend amongst young adults (say 18-25). They watch horrible, horrible tv programs. A lot of my friends in college watch stuff like Two and A Half Men, Entourage, The X-Factor, The Big Bang Theory (probably the best of this bunch), Gray's Anatomy. All these programs are terrible IMO.

I never saw Two and A Half Men before but decided to watch an episode because everybody was continuously banging on abut it. I was actually in shock when I saw it, it's like a kids program or something, the humour is pathetic.

Here's Two and A Half Men without the canned laughter.

It's almost as if the crappy canned laughter is telling all the brainwashed idiots "you should find this funny" and so they laugh. Everybody seems to have the same kind of sense of humour from it as well.

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

How dare they

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭candlegrease

How date they

Quoted for fail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Two and a half men is pretty good tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Someone needs to make a counter thread on old peoples awful taste in television.

bbt is very funny.
    Can't stand 2.5 men at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,650 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

We were once those people and our parents said the same thing and soon our kids will be looking at the generation after them with the same eyes....

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭soyawhatsup

How dare you include Entourage in that list

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭IHeartChemistry

Yea XFactor is shiiiite but TBBT, Two and a Half Men and Greys are damn good. Can't beat McDreamy and McSteamy :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭4leto

The big bang theory is the best comedy to come out of the states in years, just one word Sheldon,, need I say anything more.

To me its Moron TV or MTV I have no idea what is the appeal to them,,generation gap I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,125 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

The only funny thing about Two and a half men is the amount of money they get paid for writing and appearing in such sh1te.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Here's another show with canned laughter letting people know when it's funny.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

What are you on about? Big Bang Theory is amazing :D

biko wrote: »

Except that show is actually funny and the laughter isn't forced down your throat as much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Can't comment on the Charlie Sheen thing, never saw it but The Big Bang Theory can be very funny. There are so many nods to geek culture its obvious that the scriptwriters know exactly what the characters are about, not what they think geeks should be about.

Its like its always been. Theres good writing and bad writing. Maybe nowadays the good stuff is harder to spot under an avalanche of reality tv rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I'm not sure this is such a big story: most people of all ages like crap TV.

Evidence: most TV is crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Young peoples choice in TV is gone to sh*t...every time I have to watch 'In the night garden' with my 2 year old I ask myself where did I go wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

The Big Bang Theory is rubbish. Really really bad. It has no redeemable qualities. It's ****.

Ok, I concede on TBBT, maybe that's pretty good, but the others are still awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I think this is another of those "XX was better when I was young" threads?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

The Big Bang Theory is rubbish. Really really bad. It has no redeemable qualities. It's ****.

Get out :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭recyclebin

back in my day ..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

I've noticed a growing trend amongst young adults (say 18-25). They watch horrible, horrible tv programs. A lot of my friends in college watch stuff like Two and A Half Men, Entourage, The X-Factor, The Big Bang Theory (probably the best of this bunch), Gray's Anatomy. All these programs are terrible IMO.
    Yes because none of them can compare to the sheer quality and excellence of Fair City :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Except that show is actually funny and the laughter isn't forced down your throat as much.

In your opinion, after all that's what comedy is, a personal opinion, different people have difference tastes in humour.

If you dub that Fawlty Towers clip with the same intentionally down trodden dull backing music that was on that 2.5 men clip and remove the canned laughter I bet you'll feel it just as flat. How something is presented can have a huge impact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

Is that "canned" or is it in front of a studio audience which would mean that it is real laughter. Many comedy shows (even American ones) are film before an audience and so when th audience laughs that is when they have found something funny. If you don't laugh when the studio audience does then rest assured that they are probably morons.

slimjimmc wrote: »
    In your opinion, after all that's what comedy is, a personal opinion, different people have difference tastes in humour.

If you dub that Fawlty Towers clip with the same intentionally down trodden dull backing music that was on that 2.5 men clip and remove the canned laughter I bet you'll feel it just as flat.

Yes, I know its an opinion.

I'm complaining about the facts that most people's opinions are so goddamn retarded.

Is that "canned" or is it in front of a studio audience which would mean that it is real laughter. Many comedy shows (even American ones) are film before an audience and so when th audience laughs that is when they have found something funny. If you don't laugh when the studio audience does then rest assured that they are probably morons.

Meant to say this, that's not canned. Its just laughter.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Kitty-kitty

Agricola wrote: »
    There are so many nods to geek culture its obvious that the scriptwriters know exactly what the characters are about, not what they think geeks should be about.

It's not hard to spend five minutes with google to make references - but using BBT as a cross-section of the geek community is horribly, horribly wrong. Only the main character can even function socially. This is not what geeks are "about".

That said I watch the show religiously - but it's the only one out of this list I'd touch with yours.

There's a few videos out there with the laugh track / audience laughter (because it is filmed in front of an audience but of course if the audience don't find certain gags funny they're going to add in some canned laughter) removed on TBBT. It suddenly becomes slightly uncomfortable to watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmLQaTcViOA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

Yawn.

Young people's awful taste in x, insert whatever you think is appropriate for x and enjoy a good auld moan.

Zero1986 wrote: »
    Yes because none of them can compare to the sheer quality and excellence of Fair City :rolleyes:

Fair City is worse than all those shows combined. I never said it was good.

Nice try though.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Personally, I think The Story of Cinema is the best thing on the telly at the moment.

Fawlty Towers was good in its day but the jokes at the expense of the Germans, the French and the Irish have kind of grown a bit tired now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Dotrel

I think this is another of those "XX was better when I was young" threads?

I'm 20.

Nice try though.
    recyclebin wrote: »
    back in my day ..........

See above.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Kill the young!!:mad:

Plus it's not to take away the point that the stuff today is garbage. It is. But was whatever you liked way back when. You just didn't realise it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

Your idea of horrible shows seems a bit hit and miss. What shows do you think are good?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,125 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

A friend of mine was in the studio audience when some BBC comedy episode was being filmed, and he thinks that the laughter track was replaced before the programme aired. He said that some guy had a really distinctive laugh in the audience, but that wasn't heard when the programme was shown on TV.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Fair City is worse than all those shows combined. I never said it was good.

Nice try though.

I actually watched the entire first series of FC. Magnificent cast, including the late Tony Doyle but excreable plotting and pacing. I'm amazed it's still going :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

British TV doesn't use canned laughter (except when mocking US comedy tv), be it filmed in front of a live audience or shot on location with film its always shown first to an audience for an actual human response.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

After 2 years of living on own I started sharing a house with an old friend of mine. She is about 4 years younger than I but our tastes in music and TV/film couldn't be more different.

She comes home from work, turns on the telly and watches shows like 2.5 Men, TBBT, Friends etc whereas I prefer to download tv shows like Breaking Bad, Louie or Boardwalk Empire and watch them at my leisure.

I usually call into the sitting room to be sociable and have a chat most days but the lame humour and canned laughter irritate me no end so I usually end up leaving after about half an hour.

That being said, we get on quite well besides our differences in taste.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,520 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

TV seemed less crap before because there were less channels on which to put crap on.

She is about 4 years younger than I but our tastes in music and TV/film couldn't be more different.
    I would suggest that your differences in taste are more to do with you both being different people rather than the huge influence of a 4 year gap.

I love the Big Bang Theory, I don't see what's so wrong with a few laughter cues or obvious jokes, if it's funny it's funny. I don't think that enjoying TV needs to be justified with conditions like "it must be intellectually stimulating". Things can be stupid and funny and that's fine.

What's with old people's taste in TV? I mean for example, televised golf, now what's all that about???

The only thing worse than the golf is the fact that for some reason it always has to be turned up to the highest volume possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 836 ✭✭✭fruvai

old hippy wrote: »
    Fawlty Towers was good in its day but the jokes at the expense of the Germans, the French and the Irish have kind of grown a bit tired now.

:confused:
    It's still one of the best comedies ever made - and they were never any jokes made at the expense of the Germans etc. The joke was always on Basil - the show satirised his idiotic and bigoted views - looking down at the working class, his sexual conservatism,his cheapness......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 836 ✭✭✭fruvai

4leto wrote: »
    The big bang theory is the best comedy to come out of the states in years, just one word Sheldon,, need I say anything more.

30 Rock and Modern Family are far superior

Chuck Lorre is a ****ing hack - look at the all the sitcoms he's been heavily involved with:

Roseanne
    Grace Under Fire
    Cybill
    Dharma & Greg
    Two and a Half Men
    The Big Bang Theory
    Mike & Molly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

I never saw Two and A Half Men before but decided to watch an episode because everybody was continuously banging on abut it. I was actually in shock when I saw it, it's like a kids program or something, the humour is pathetic.

It's almost as if the crappy canned laughter is telling all the brainwashed idiots "you should find this funny" and so they laugh. Everybody seems to have the same kind of sense of humour from it as well.

Try not to flip the fuck out and just let people watch whatever they like, because, guess what, you watch awful shit as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

First of all, Entourage is quality, well it was but went downhill in the last couple of seasons. Just so i know what i'm dealing with, what TV shows do you like?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

American sitcoms, all sitcoms in fact, are usually utter ****e regardless of when they were on. Tame humour with laugh tracks inserted to remind you what's supposed to be "funny".

The problem is that there are tons more of them now because they are cheap to produce, you can pretty much reuse scripts from other ones you've written and just change the names (How I Met Yore Ma is literally just Friends with different named characters) and they get massive ratings.

They'd probably try a bit harder if they thought anyone with youth and intelligence was even watching tv anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

^lol, old peoples.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Community is way better than BBT imo and theres no laugh track thank jaysus.

• Advertisement
Advertisement