Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
04-09-2011, 14:18   #1
Jessiegirl
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 149
Convert old mini dv tapes to DVD?

I have about 11 mini dv tapes but no camcorder (It was a JVC bought in '02).

What's the best way to convert these to DVD? It will cost me several hundred to get this done professionally, with copies. If I want to do this myself do I need to buy a camcorder that will take these tapes and take if from there? I'd rather pay someone if it's very complicated and I don't want to damage the tapes (one is already). If I could borrow a camcorder that would be ideal, money is very tight. Thanks
Jessiegirl is offline  
Advertisement
04-09-2011, 18:18   #2
bennz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 28
if you send them to me i will transfer them to dvd for free
bennz is offline  
06-09-2011, 15:14   #3
quad_red
Registered User
 
quad_red's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Dublin
Posts: 3,864
Just got crystal media to convert two mini dv tapes. They provided a dvd copy and gave me MPEG and AVI copies on an external hard disk (which I provided obviously).

http://www.crystalmedia.ie/iopen24/
quad_red is offline  
06-09-2011, 16:56   #4
bennz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 28
Did you not see the word Free in my reply?
bennz is offline  
06-09-2011, 16:59   #5
quad_red
Registered User
 
quad_red's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Dublin
Posts: 3,864
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennz View Post
Did you not see the word Free in my reply?
Calm.

The only reason I put that in is that if people search boards on this topic they will see this thread.

You may not want to offer (generously) to do this service for every person who may/may not see this thread.



edit: & btw, I've nothing to do with that company. Their drop off was just near to my work making it convenient.

Last edited by quad_red; 06-09-2011 at 17:35.
quad_red is offline  
Advertisement
06-09-2011, 21:58   #6
Jessiegirl
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 149
Thank you for both replying as I am considering all options. bennz you are very kind to offer to do this for free but as tapes are mostly of my son when a baby & toddler I would be reluctant to send them to a stranger, I'm sure you can appreciate why. Am considering picking up a second hand camcorder and attempting it myself
Jessiegirl is offline  
08-09-2011, 01:19   #7
SouperComputer
Moderator
 
SouperComputer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: St. Paul, MN, US
Posts: 6,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessiegirl View Post
Thank you for both replying as I am considering all options. bennz you are very kind to offer to do this for free but as tapes are mostly of my son when a baby & toddler I would be reluctant to send them to a stranger, I'm sure you can appreciate why. Am considering picking up a second hand camcorder and attempting it myself
Yep, grab a used DV cam off adverts and or eBay. You can use free software to capture the video to a HD, extra software would be required to put it on DVD. Personally I would keep a copy of the raw DV files on a HD or other media.

If you want to go really hardcore, you could buy a pro DV deck to make the most of what you have, then sell the deck when you are done.
SouperComputer is offline  
25-12-2013, 01:12   #8
embraer170
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 904
How did you do it in the end?
I also have about 10 taps that I would like to save in digital format. I still have the camcorder (old JVC) but the firewire DV output doesn't seem to work.

Last edited by embraer170; 25-12-2013 at 01:18.
embraer170 is offline  
30-01-2014, 19:33   #9
reggaeman
Registered User
 
reggaeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Leinster
Posts: 92
2 Adapter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessiegirl View Post
I have about 11 mini dv tapes but no camcorder (It was a JVC bought in '02).

What's the best way to convert these to DVD? It will cost me several hundred to get this done professionally, with copies. If I want to do this myself do I need to buy a camcorder that will take these tapes and take if from there? I'd rather pay someone if it's very complicated and I don't want to damage the tapes (one is already). If I could borrow a camcorder that would be ideal, money is very tight. Thanks

You could also get a vhs adapter (it looks like a vhs tape) you just slot your mini tapes into it and put it in a old vhs player. (i have three old ones' so you should find it easy to pick one up' very cheap' or even borrow one.) then get yourself one of them DVD Makers. ( got mine in Aldi for €25)
How's it done.
With the scart adapter that comes with the DVD Maker you connect that to the VHS recorder and the USB end to your PC. On your PC you will need a program like PowerDirector. (I got mine from The Priate Bay for free)
Using PowerDirector is very easy. When you turn it on just click on the capture button at the top and press play on the VHS player. You should get a picture on the screen. At the bottom just press record' when the tape is finished you get the option to save file. (Or you can before hand choose where you would like it to be saved. This is all very easy' so don't be put off by all this. Have a go and let me know how you get on.
reggaeman is offline  
Advertisement
30-01-2014, 19:38   #10
reggaeman
Registered User
 
reggaeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Leinster
Posts: 92
Convert Vid

Quote:
Originally Posted by embraer170 View Post
How did you do it in the end?
I also have about 10 taps that I would like to save in digital format. I still have the camcorder (old JVC) but the firewire DV output doesn't seem to work.
See my Quote.
reggaeman is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet