Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry getting some nice mtb trails

Options
  • 03-08-2011 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭

look at this :D now i have a year to get properly good on my bike :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭silvo

Looks exciting! Can't wait to see the finished track.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

the international DH track has me pretty excited :D if that starts pulling tons of mtb tourists over the scene will explode here which will be good for all sorts of cycling

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Ah_go_on

Thats great news. With a bit of joined up thinking between Failte and various sporting organisations (IMRA/CI/TI etc) Ireland could be an absolute mecca for adventure racing/Mountain biking etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Great news.

What else is available there at the moment? Heading that way next week, have Dunmanway and Tracton ticked off already.

give the lads here a shout, killarney is the best spot in kerry for mtbing so these guys know where to go and where not to

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭davey101

Thats fantastic news, My only tripe is
    "Backed by Cycling Ireland, last year Kerry County Council granted planning for a downhill track and permission to construct 24 car parking spaces, "
    What the hell! am i missing something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Sweet! Now I've got to find me a DH bike :pac:

davey101 wrote: »
    Thats fantastic news, My only tripe is
    "Backed by Cycling Ireland, last year Kerry County Council granted planning for a downhill track and permission to construct 24 car parking spaces, "
    What the hell! am i missing something?

yeah thats odd enough alright, id say there will be more than that though, tbh id prefer if they just graveled a big field and spent all the money on the trails :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭okane1

just up the road from me, wonder if my current XC bike will handle those drops :rolleyes:

you wont know till you try :D just lower your saddle and bobs your uncle you have a DH bike haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,624 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Good news, shame it wasn't in place this year like it was supposed to...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭C3PO

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Good news, shame it wasn't in place this year like it was supposed to...

Couldn't agree more!

With the events regularly attracting anything up to 1,000 entrants – last year's championships in the French Alps welcomed over 800 top competitors"

Kerry County Council granted planning for a downhill track and permission to construct 24 car parking spaces

Are they for real!? 24 spaces? Lets hope that changes before Kerry Co co make a show of Irish mountain biking again...

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭jinghong

any idea if there will be any xc singe track developed also? seems like a lot of money for a couple of kms of downhill. How will riders expect to do the drag uphill?

" The landowner, Mr O'Donoghue, has also invested in including a cross country track"

As for the uplift for Downhillers, CI will be sponsoring some Jarvey's to bring bikers up to the top of the track! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭langdang

As for the uplift for Downhillers, CI will be sponsoring some Jarvey's to bring bikers up to the top of the track! ;)
    Only if they use their nappies.. ;)

langdang wrote: »
    Only if they use their nappies.. ;)

Varadkar can send down some leftover nappies..:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭cantalach

I know this is way OT I wanted to share my favourite jarvey experience...

I was walking along the path from Muckross House towards the town. A jarvey pulled alongside and said to jump in. I said that I was fine but he insisted, saying there was no charge because he was heading back to town anyway and in a good mood. So I jumped in but then had to make small talk for a few miles.

"So, what sort of season are you having?" I asked.

"Erra it's quiet enough but not the worst," came the reply.

"And where are most of the tourists coming from these days? American or Continentals?"

"Con-tin-entals. Con-tin-ental sh1theads."

Thanks for that! :rolleyes: :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Awesome, this will be a welcomed addition :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭_DMac_

Did this ever go ahead and if it did can anyone put up a link with some info?

Thanks w

• Registered Users Posts: 7 snowfruit

I wonder if any one knows where this got to? Far as I know nothing has been built and its very quiet in the media, but I understood money had been allocated?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭paul mountainbike

Any update on trails in Kerry looking for summer/autumn

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Any update on trails in Kerry looking for summer/autumn

Summer/Autumn what year?

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭casion3

emerald mtb has some footage of trails somewhere on torc, dont know where they are or how long, anybody have any idea

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

casion3 wrote: »
    emerald mtb has some footage of trails somewhere on torc, dont know where they are or how long, anybody have any idea
    The trails are not really accessible to the general public, the club have built and maintained about 3/4 hours of top class trails in torc and muckross, but the only ones that know how to get there are the local mtb club.
    My advice would be to contact Killarney cycling club prior to a trip down and find out when the group spins are on, they have a category for practical all riders…..ask for joe o leary or fergus mccarthy on the killarney cycling club page, they will point you in the right direction….

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭casion3

The trails are not really accessible to the general public, the club have built and maintained about 3/4 hours of top class trails in torc and muckross, but the only ones that know how to get there are the local mtb club.
    My advice would be to contact Killarney cycling club prior to a trip down and find out when the group spins are on, they have a category for practical all riders…..ask for joe o leary or fergus mccarthy on the killarney cycling club page, they will point you in the right direction….

Cool, surprising killarney hasn't developed a trailhead for the public by now, would be a good money spinner

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭paul mountainbike

Summer/Autumn what year?

This year hopefully ,will contact the club when got a few dates,depends on how soon we get the camper van on the road.

Advertisement